corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » email from eBay about stopping the sale of goods....

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author email from eBay about stopping the sale of goods....
M2RTY

User status: Offline
7th Jul 09 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

eBay was built on a simple idea - that we could empower people by building a global trading platform where practically anyone could buy or sell practically anything. But that idea is now under threat from certain brand owners and manufacturers who are trying to turn back the clock and block the sale of their products on online marketplaces and other websites across the EU.

Ultimately, what is at stake is the right of sellers to compete fairly in the wider online marketplace, and the right of buyers to be able to access the best possible deals from the widest possible selection of goods.

Some of these brand owners argue that their objective is to prevent the sale of counterfeits on eBay. But thanks to our work with 31,000 other rights owners, only 0.15% of listings last year were detected or reported as potentially counterfeit. The real aim of these brands is to block the sale of all their products on our site - regardless of whether such items are new or second-hand, genuine or fake. It's not just luxury items that are affected, but also everyday items like children's toys, electronic equipment, lawnmowers and pushchairs. And if we want to prevent other brand owners from following suit, we need to act now.

We are therefore calling on European policymakers to amend EU competition law to stop these unfair trade practices. But we need your help to persuade them to take action. If you would like to join our campaign against online trade barriers, please sign our petition.

Regards,
Your eBay Team

thoughts?

[Edited on 07-07-2009 by M2RTY]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

7th Jul 09 at 10:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ebay are robbing cunts that try to force you to use their payment system PayPal which takes ages to give money to the SELLER.

UKFLAVA FTW
Robbo

7th Jul 09 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Me too, my thoguhts

FUCK OFF YOU CUNTS

They take 10% of all sales now as a final valuation fee, Im not using them again after finishign up my current work
Cosmo

7th Jul 09 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good, hopefully egay will get fucked over.
M2RTY

7th Jul 09 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im not signing it....let them lose out I say, bout time they got knocked down a peg of two
Ojc

7th Jul 09 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use Ebay, but I never use it as an auction site.

I got some wheels, emailed the guy offered him what I thought they were worth and went and collected them that evening.

Same for my bike, saw it on ebay, rang him up. Sorted out a time to see it, left deposit and collected it a day later.

Ebay can GTF
pow
Premium Member

7th Jul 09 at 10:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

99% of the time I always deal outside ebay now, only using it as an advertisement site.
Ojc

7th Jul 09 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, and I would imagine anyone with half a brain would do the same.
DaveyLC

7th Jul 09 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the companies didnt sell their products for cheaper elsewhere in the world there wouldn't be a problem! As usual us britts get ripped off so we import stuff our selves via sites like eBay but the big brands dont like this because they arent making as much profit..

I was going to sign the petition but eBay want me to enter loads of personal details.. Idiots!
Cosmo

7th Jul 09 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
If the companies didnt sell their products for cheaper elsewhere in the world there wouldn't be a problem! As usual us britts get ripped off so we import stuff our selves via sites like eBay but the big brands dont like this because they arent making as much profit..

Actually, a lot of the prices over here are higher due to taxes, import costs and currency fluctuations between the pound and the country of export - so the % profit the companies are making per item arent any higher than elsewhere in the world.

So blame the Govt. and not those companies.
DaveyLC

7th Jul 09 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I disagree! 80% of electrical goods are marked up for the UK when you compare with places like the US and the far east.
Cosmo

7th Jul 09 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I disagree! 80% of electrical goods are marked up for the UK when you compare with places like the US and the far east.

They are often made in the far east, therefore no import charges, less delivery charges, no currency fluctuations, etc.

US often has lower taxes on products, and IIRC certainly have lower import taxes on products.
DaveyLC

7th Jul 09 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even if you drop 15% vat and the 3.5% import duty from products for sale in the UK they are generally much more expensive than the price else where WITH their local tax AND duty included! Its a rip off.
Cosmo

7th Jul 09 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Even if you drop 15% vat and the 3.5% import duty from products for sale in the UK they are generally much more expensive than the price else where WITH their local tax AND duty included! Its a rip off.

You're not understanding....tax is on everything.

The rent they pay for their shops are higher than other countries as they Govt takes a nice slice of the profits from the rental companies.

The wages they pay their employees are higher than other countries due to our employment laws, i.e. minimum wage, limit on work hours/breaks, amount of employer contributions that you have to pay, etc.

The cost to run the shops in general (rates, electric, maintainance, etc.) is more expensive here.

The tax on their profits is higher here.
DaveyLC

7th Jul 09 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes our government are robbing bastids! Totally agree, but I also know that manufacturers cash in on us 'brits' too!
Cosmo

7th Jul 09 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Yes our government are robbing bastids! Totally agree, but I also know that manufacturers cash in on us 'brits' too!

Of course they cash in on us, they are a business there to make a profit, but I'll tell you for certain they make no more profit off us than they do in any other country due to our Govt.
DaveyLC

7th Jul 09 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree for UK based companies that have to pay CGT but most tech companies are not even in the UK.
Cosmo

7th Jul 09 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I agree for UK based companies that have to pay CGT but most tech companies are not even in the UK.

They cant just funnel their profits out of the country without paying tax
A2H GO

7th Jul 09 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think ebays good for buyers as lots of things are much cheaper than in the shops but but a seller they rip you off big time. I sold and iPhone and a laptop on there this week and they have taken over £60 in final value fees alone.
DaveyLC

7th Jul 09 at 11:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:

They cant just funnel their profits out of the country without paying tax

Does anyone work for a big electrical chain? I'd be interested to see the cost price for certain goods.. Yes the retailer will be paying the taxes on their profits but I'm talking about the manufacturers, I'll bet that the prices are higher to UK distributors than say US.
Cosmo

7th Jul 09 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Does anyone work for a big electrical chain? I'd be interested to see the cost price for certain goods.. Yes the retailer will be paying the taxes on their profits but I'm talking about the manufacturers, I'll bet that the prices are higher to UK distributors than say US.

Its the retailers who put on the largest amount due to their costs, the manufacturers tend not to make such a large amount per unit but sell a hell of a lot of units to all the retailers to make their cash.

And once again of course they'll be higher...UK import rates, blah blah as I said before. The prices will be higher at every stage of the import due to our Govt.
DaveyLC

7th Jul 09 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If thats the case why would the manufacturers care? Its the manufacturers that are complaining and want to block the sale of their licensed goods, if they are not making a loss then whats the problem? So clearly if they are claiming they will lose money they must be marking up?
Cosmo

7th Jul 09 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
If thats the case why would the manufacturers care? Its the manufacturers that are complaining and want to block the sale of their licensed goods, if they are not making a loss then whats the problem? So clearly if they are claiming they will lose money they must be marking up?

Think about it logically...their biggest customer is the retailer/distributors, not some small fry ebay seller. So if the retailers and distributors feel they are losing sales or having to take a massive cut on prices to compete then they'll complain to the manufacturer.

The manufacturer then has two options...leave it be and hope the retailers dont decide to drop their products, or do something about it and keep your biggest customers happy.

I work with suppliers from all over the world on a daily basis, so I know what their costs are like, plus as a retailer we are effected by peope selling things on Ebay at a stupidly low price compared to us who have big overheads supplying from a shop.
ssj_kakarot

7th Jul 09 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

manufacturers do have different mark ups depending on region, look at the price of new computer consoles ect.

Uk gets a higher price for everything, a new game for say the likes of an xbox will be £15 more expensive in the uk that in the US, even taking extra taxes ect into account its still just a bigger markup for the UK, its always been like that though.

DaveyLC

7th Jul 09 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:

Think about it logically...their biggest customer is the retailer/distributors, not some small fry ebay seller. So if the retailers and distributors feel they are losing sales or having to take a massive cut on prices to compete then they'll complain to the manufacturer.

The manufacturer then has two options...leave it be and hope the retailers dont decide to drop their products, or do something about it and keep your biggest customers happy.

I work with suppliers from all over the world on a daily basis, so I know what their costs are like, plus as a retailer we are effected by peope selling things on Ebay at a stupidly low price compared to us who have big overheads supplying from a shop.

But its only sales that are moving, if there is no markup then there isnt a problem? A sale is a sale right?

Clearly there is a regional markup.. Its like DVD's they are only really regionalised so they can charge different amounts for them.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » email from eBay about stopping the sale of goods.... 22 database queries in 0.0152390 seconds