corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Career development loand.. with a twist?.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Career development loand.. with a twist?.
Davidkent

User status: Offline
6th Aug 09 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Basically.. some of you will be aware that I lost my job on the 22nd of may.

Since then I've had no hope whatsoever finding work.

I've applied for an electricians course, and will find out tomorrow whether i've been accepted.

Though they have told me not to worry too much about funding for it, I am, if i'm honest.

I've been declared Bankrupt *lowers head*, very recently, what with lack of income and so forth, so its very difficult.

What i think I need is a career development loan, or something of a similar nature, but i'm 99.9% that i won't get accepted, obviously due to bankruptcy - This course could lead me to work at £16-18k within 6-8 weeks, so is worth doing just for that.

The Course is £6k, though they pay for all help finding work, all courses and exams, all my tools, absolutely everything, Like i say, I'm just looking for some help really getting the money together!

Cheers
Cosmo

6th Aug 09 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Contact Baza, he has a spare £6k.
Davidkent

6th Aug 09 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol suppose he'll lend it to me to? haha
MarkM

6th Aug 09 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No chance.
Davidkent

6th Aug 09 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats what i thought - I wasn't asking for 'No chance' I was kinda asking for a little advice, suggestions lol...
Cosmo

6th Aug 09 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Friends and family?
Davidkent

6th Aug 09 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking like i'm gonna need one of them to get a loan or guarantor a loan..

Not sure where to go, as i can't get anything because i can't pay it back until i've started working, so i need something deferred or something...

Its hard to know what to do!
Nath

6th Aug 09 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd like to think my folks would help me out if I were in your situation.
Davidkent

6th Aug 09 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My folks unfortunately don't have 6 Grand about...

I'm tempted to try my grandparents, but i really, really don't like asking... Think i'm gonna end up swallowing my pride and asking, but tbh, i don't think i'll get it from there..

Grrr I hate situations - Hopefully my parents can get the credit, but i'm not banking on it Kinda my own stupid fault for being bad with money in the first place - Wouldn't be bankrupt if i weren't - Though i was managing ok till loss of job happened

[Edited on 06-08-2009 by Davidkent]
Nath

6th Aug 09 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mate if you're stuck you have to ask. You don't have much choice.
Davidkent

6th Aug 09 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know...

I don't think its possible tbh - I'm gonna wait to see whether i've been accepted or not tomorrow - sHe said she didn't see any reason why not

Once i have, i'll start considering my options very quickly!

I've got a place at college, but don't want to take it unless I don't get on this course...

College has to be paid for either way, as i'm 20 next week ish...

Cheers
Nath

6th Aug 09 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hope you sort it mate.
Davidkent

6th Aug 09 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers
Colin

6th Aug 09 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I fail to 'get' how a 6-8 week course will land you a job as a qualified sparky

People spend years getting trained and serving apprenticeships to become competent in a trade, im very wary of these fast track 6k courses.

Im guessing it will be targeting domestic installations which is all about dried up & what work there is will be fought over by the thousands of trained guys with a background and a time served apprenticeship and their 16th edition and whatever other qualifications whom are put of work.

I'd be VERY wary about handing over 6k to anyone that guarentees work in a run down sector.

Not having a go or anything just pointing a few things out that you've possibly not thought of. Ask yourself, would you want to employ a spark thats had 6 weeks training to wire up your house?? Electricity can kill after all, its serious stuff!!
John

6th Aug 09 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As Colin has said, no chance, it'll be a waste of money.

Nobody will take you on in a trade like that without years of experience, unless starting as an apprentice of course.
Colin

6th Aug 09 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IF things were different and there was a skills shortage and you done this course a while back when things were good and the construction industry was booming then there maybe would have been a slither of a chance you might get a start with somone as a laborour and then went on to show your keen and a hard worker etc and maybe then they would have taken you on to develop further as a tradesman.

Right at this moment in our crumbling economy theres more chance of Elvis skipping along Sauchiehall Street with his thumb up his arse singing Kumbaya!!

I used to work as a contracts surveyor for a large subbies and used to bin letters from would be tradesmen searching for work (some done a course some not - it didnt matter tbh) on a weekly basis. We just wernt interested in taking them on as if we needed guys we either got apprentices or hired time served guys with experience. If someone wrote in saying they had been on becomeatradesman.com or whatever and done a 10 week learn at home course they wouldnt even get a reply. Best one I got that sticks in my mind had put on his opening letter "If Carlsburg made plumbers then I would be one of them"........................aye no bother pal seriously though who the fuck would put that on a CV cover letter!?!?!?!?

Its the harsh truth im afraid.

What did you do before getting made redundant? Can you not find another job similar, or even anything just now to ride out the storm & not waste and be in debt of a further £6k? Thats the best advice your going to get.

[Edited on 06-08-2009 by Colin]
Davidkent

6th Aug 09 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not 6-8 weeks a qualified sparky.

6-8 Weeks of hard study will land me a job as a Sparkys Mate.

10-12 Months of hard study will leave me a full City and Guilds sparky Qualification, and support in finding work / Going self employed, whichever i would prefer at the time. ..
Davidkent

6th Aug 09 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its 17th Edition now, and its not just domestic, its professional - I've looked into it all that far.

I can't even get a job at 'The Factory shop' right now, Asda, Morrisons, None...

Used to work at Virgin Mobile, Before that One stop... nothing serious..
eddiewhiteley

6th Aug 09 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how on earth have you become bankrupt when you arent even 20?
ash_corsa

6th Aug 09 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Davidkent

10-12 Months of hard study will leave me a full City and Guilds sparky Qualification

No it wont! You might want to double check that, im a spark and studied 3 years at college before i was qualified.

Ste
Premium Member

7th Aug 09 at 02:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by eddiewhiteley
how on earth have you become bankrupt when you arent even 20?

Hardly a laughing matter is it

You will find that you will have real difficulty getting finance in the future due to the bankruptcy. Are you still in the first year? If so they usually take your bank account off you too making it a real bitch to do anything. My advice is not to ask advice on here, go to the citizens advice bureau http://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/ and see what they suggest. They're the experts.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Brett
Premium Member

7th Aug 09 at 08:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I find some of the people in citizens advice are wankers. Bit like the people in the job centre.
Davidkent

7th Aug 09 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
I find some of the people in citizens advice are wankers. Bit like the people in the job centre.

Agreed - I've tried that.

Bankruptcy is down to my own personal reasons, loss of job, a series of other personal issues, and it was advised to be the best by a professional advisor.

Tbh I agree, and i don't regret it one bit.

No, its not a laughing matter, and No, I'm not proud of it - I posted up on here, because i'm not worried who knows, I was looking for some advice from people possibly in similar situations, or whatever.

My Bank account was closed, I now have a basic one - And yes, I'm well within the first year of it.

Its perfectly livable, and leaves me no outgoings, so when i do find work, I'll be relatively well off each month - But until then, I'm not.

Yes, 10-12 Months of hard study (I don't mean college hours) - Its 400 Hours, Plus 4 x 5 day Practical workshops, aswell as On the job study as an electricians mate.

I've done the research and met people who have done it, and its the best thing they've done.

I'm not asking for peoples opinion on the course, I'm asking for people's advice with the financing, and I appreciate those who have put something decent into the thread.

Thanks.
Cosmo

7th Aug 09 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Out of interest...how much debt were you in for them to suggest bankruptcy?
Davidkent

7th Aug 09 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd rather not disclose that - Its bad, though some of it was because i lent my parents some money - I wasn't stitched up by them, I / We had an unlucky chain of events, involving a serious Bike accident involving my little brother - It all led from there with treatment, Help and allsorts of things, so its rather personal..

No offence or anything

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll