corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » bike day rant....

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author bike day rant....
corsa120

User status: Offline
6th Aug 09 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what is it with car drivers and motorbikes, ive not exactly bin riding that long and ive got suzuki bandit 1200s and so far car drivers have shown me nothing but dis-respect and ive nearly had a fight and been knocked off twice in the last month, they give you NO SPACE when i have no grip, especially in this weather....

my first time carrying a pillion the other day and some one decided to overtake us around 1ft from my mirror thats how close they was on a blind bend I MEAN COME ON HOW DOES HE KNOW IVE NOT CARRIED A PILLION BEFORE????????

tell you riding a bike shows this country of drivers what a bunch of cunts they really are grrrrrrr GIVE ME SPACE AND STOP GETTING UP MY ARSE U BADGERS lets face it i have more performance than cars can dream off!!! so why sit on ur arse in 1.2 fiesta's

rant over, anyone else get the same?

[Edited on 06-08-2009 by corsa120]

Graham88

6th Aug 09 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No grip in this weather? Mate this is the best time of year for grip!

I gotta say I have no issues on my bike, if I'm honest I ride like a twat half the time but I don't get into any trouble. I get given space, people let me out etc
corsa120

6th Aug 09 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rain = grip ok mate down in kent gets best of the weather, here in midlands we have rain rain rain rain!

you must be the exception graham drivers here are utter idiots

radicalry00

6th Aug 09 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I passed my test about 3 weeks ago and in that relatively short amount of time car drivers have been fine with me. None of them drive up my arse or anything like that.

The guy who overtook you on a blind bend sounds like a bit of a cock though. That's the sort of move that ends up seriously injuring or killing people.
mazdaspeed

6th Aug 09 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You get bad and good road users, just get on with it... Try to dominate you're road space - ride slightly right of centre in single lanes.
Eck
Premium Member

6th Aug 09 at 22:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whenever there is a biker in front of me, I give them more space than normal, especially when it's wet. And if they are behind me, and the road looks a bit clear, I'll pull as far into the inside as possible and indicate to let them know it's clear to go. I appreciate that it's a lot more dangerous being a biker so I'd rather not make it worse!
Jenko_Sport

6th Aug 09 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
Whenever there is a biker in front of me, I give them more space than normal, especially when it's wet. And if they are behind me, and the road looks a bit clear, I'll pull as far into the inside as possible and indicate to let them know it's clear to go. I appreciate that it's a lot more dangerous being a biker so I'd rather not make it worse!

I do exactly the same
Graham88

7th Aug 09 at 02:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa120
rain = grip ok mate down in kent gets best of the weather, here in midlands we have rain rain rain rain!

you must be the exception graham drivers here are utter idiots

We had blinding weather when I posted that and I'd only just got home from a short ride, not anymore though it's chucking it down!
dannymccann

7th Aug 09 at 06:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have to say round here drivers tend to be alright (north lincs), interact alright with bikers. When its raining people dont seem to understand we have to cut our speed quite drastically just to stay the right side up so sometimes they get a bit close to you
DaveyLC

7th Aug 09 at 07:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be honest it sounds like you are riding too slow and car drivers are getting pissed off with you?
John

7th Aug 09 at 07:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was doing 80 or 90 down the motorway last week and could hardly see as far as the beam of my lights because of the rain, a biker still went past me so must have been doing 100 anyway, rain can't make that much difference.

[Edited on 07-08-2009 by John]
Conway563

7th Aug 09 at 08:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You get good and bad drivers exactly the same as you get good and bad bikers.
I've had bikes come flying past me on blind bends the same as this car has done to you
PaulW

7th Aug 09 at 08:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rain makes a lot of difference, but you do get idiots who do scream past in the wet John.

corsa120 - if you are sticking to the speed limits, then there is no issue with how you're riding. I still get muppets overtaking me like this, but speeding. I've lost count how many times round the roads of Wales I've been overtaken on twisty roads by cars doing more than the limit. I don't care about going fast, if its 60 I'll do 60, 70 I'll do 70... so-on... And yes, they have a habit of leaving no room...

Best one for me was a 40mph moron (the old farts who think doing 40 everywhere is perfectly acceptible) overtook me in a 30 zone about 200 yards from where it went to NSL. Soon as it hit NSL, I got upto speed, and they were going on the other side of the road to try stop me overtaking them doing 40!! Soon as I got past, they beeped there horn!!... Worm food in a can...

But yeah, just ride to what your comfortable. You don't have to go fast, or keep up with others. If you don't feel stable on some bends, or if its wet, new surface, etc etc, do what you feel safe.

Also, not sure what the tyres are like on your bandit, but I know when I had a new set of rubbers fitted to my b12, it made one Hell of a difference in regards to how the bike felt and handled!
chrex

7th Aug 09 at 08:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

with my dad having a bike, i know what it's like. i move left in traffic when they are passing me to give them room, and always give them loads of room.

you get a completely different perspective of the road when you are on a bike...and i learnt alot just being a pillion!
dannymccann

7th Aug 09 at 08:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chrex
you get a completely different perspective of the road when you are on a bike...and i learnt alot just being a pillion!

This I completely agree with, I had been driving a car for 4 years when I took my CBT, opens your eyes even for just a couple of hours road riding just how much more you have to concentrate on a bike than in a car, where you can be doing numerous other things like changing tracks or eating a McFlurry (or bowl of porridge like me the other morning ) and still be pretty safe
bigboykarl

7th Aug 09 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did 7 years despatch riding in london and covered approx 200,000 miles from 88 to 95...i had quite a few offs from inconsiderate car drivers..i always said that before anybody gets given a car license they should do 6 months on a motorcycle..they'd soon learn go make room and respect other road users
richc

7th Aug 09 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check your tires. I didnt realise how much different it makes having a new back one. Goin to get my front done ASAP aswell.

I was shit scared about going around the slighest bend at well under the given speed limit. Whilst it wasnt bold, it had gone abit flat in he centre. It was a massive difference when i got a new one!
Daimo B

7th Aug 09 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Check pressures first.

1-2 psi out can make the bike handle like a turd!!!!!

RE the car drivers, given that you've said your a new rider, is it REALLY all the car drivers faults, of have you had 1-2 issues with car drivers, but due to your own in-experience, have been wound up by other car drivers, when in fact you might be in the wrong???

I hate saying it, but most bikers put themselves into bad situations, where a car driver cant react in time, then the biker blames the car driver......

I.E I was coming up behined a girl at work. She said she saw me, then the next thing she knew I was next to her window say hello next to her I said she should use her mirrors more, she said she did, she'd seen me, but then I was next to her. I can't expect her to drive along with her only looking in her mirrors Fair point!

Also ironically though, when im on a "plod along", I find I have far more issues with car drivers, than what I do if im on a "mad one" I guess its becuase your concentrating more and are quicker to react to things.

Just take it easy, remember who'll come worse off in a crash, and apply that to your riding. Ensure your headlights are always on, and if you sitll have issues, chuck on a high vis vest. Sure they look a little lame, but for visability you can't beat it (ok maybe a loud exhaust).

If you have a pillion and someone drives round the outside and nearly wipes you out, don't react.... Sure on your own, go looking for the fight, I always do (which usually ends up the person shutting windows, locking doors, calling police ), but with pillion, its not just your life... Roll off the throttle, let them shoot off thinking they are Senna, and continue onwards, forgetting about it.

Don't get into a situation where another persons life (pillion) can be destroyed because of an over-reaction on your part.

I know its hard, especially if you love a good row like me

When Donnas on the back, my riding changes 100%. Relaxed, slow, let others pass if need be. I will NOT be put into a situation where her life could be put in danger. Even if that means sucking in the "mancho genes" and letting something go over my head, even if its nearly just killed us.
DaveyLC

7th Aug 09 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Sure on your own, go looking for the fight, I always do (which usually ends up the person shutting windows, locking doors, calling police ),

Who would do something like that

[Edited on 07-08-2009 by DaveyLC]
Daimo B

7th Aug 09 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not go looking..

Just stop, get off, and "politley" explain what that road user has just done to nearly knock me off...

How they react denotes how the next few minutes go. Usually as soon as you stop though.

Sometimes, it doesn't work like that, and it results in a little "argy bargy" on the side of the road. Ironically though, if someone throws a punch, wtf do they think will happen?

Yeah, my skid lid can take a 180+mph impact, but your singular punch is gonna kill me Maybe you should try some of my other armoured areas, see if you fare any better

Ohhhhhh memories.... All "could" have been avoided though.

These days, i try to tend to just pull up, look over, shake my head, then look forward. If they give it mouth, THEN start going mental at them
Graham88

7th Aug 09 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
Also ironically though, when im on a "plod along", I find I have far more issues with car drivers, than what I do if im on a "mad one" I guess its becuase your concentrating more and are quicker to react to things.

Yeah definetly! I noticed this. So I might aswell just ride on a mad one all the time
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

7th Aug 09 at 11:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shake of the head, I hate that
DaveyLC

7th Aug 09 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR

Yeah, my skid lid can take a 180+mph impact, but your singular punch is gonna kill me Maybe you should try some of my other armoured areas, see if you fare any better

I always take my helmet off in those situations, as the bit below the visor serves as a convienient handle to lead you around by.. I found this out when a pizza boy cut me up

I've only ever made someone wind up their windows and call the police once but that was because they pulled out in front of me and nearly killed me.. I followed them into ASDA carpark and started bashing on the windscreen.
Graham88

7th Aug 09 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
shake of the head, I hate that

It's kinda like the parents "I'm not angry with you, I'm just dissapointed"
nathy_87

7th Aug 09 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jenko_Sport
quote:
Originally posted by Eck

I do exactly the same

+3

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » bike day rant.... 22 database queries in 0.0220079 seconds