corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » It really winds me up... Why can't people learn to drive?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author It really winds me up... Why can't people learn to drive?
Paul_J

User status: Offline
7th Aug 09 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It really winds me up... Every day I encounter people who just sit in the outside lane doing the same speed or slower than the inside lane.

Why can't people just pull in? if there's a clear inside lane, then it's not hard is it.

The thing is, when I go and under take them, they get in a strop and flash their lights or beep...

I put it down to poor driving tests / lessons... To be fair barely any lessons are done on dual carriageway and NONE on motorways... People are not taught the correct way to use the lanes and so think they're in the right!
gez bay

7th Aug 09 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so it was you who undertook me
AndyKent

7th Aug 09 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rubbish, its because half the people don't know or care that they are parked in the middle.

I did a trip down to Reading with a woman about 10 years older than me on the same uni course. She drove from Luton to Reading in the middle lane the whole way and didn't care. She put the car where she wanted and didn't budge. Shocking.
Colin

7th Aug 09 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Motorway? Busy?

I used to encouter this, I just came to the conclusion it was some office faggot in no hurry to get back home to his equally boring wife.

I always resisted undertaking for fear of it being a boaby with a rocket up his arse ready to chew up my licence!!
Jambo

7th Aug 09 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had a simlar experience today of some old coont doing 20mph in 2 40 holding up 15+ cars
Carl

7th Aug 09 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I find that they don't even notice/care when they get undertook, shows how oblivious they are to their surroundings.
If you get undertook in a non dangerous manor, it should be them who have the licence revoked, that would be the ideal way to deal with it.
Ben G

7th Aug 09 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my dad sits in the middle/outside lanes, really annoys me.

he was in my car with me driving last week and i was in the inside lane as there were hardly any cars on the road, he wondered why i was there

Andrew

8th Aug 09 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do a fair bit of motorway and only come across this occasionally. But saying this, i've enough points currently and my car drinks fuel like it's going out of fashion when i go over 80, hence sticking to the limits.
pow
Premium Member

8th Aug 09 at 09:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just get happy with the flashy flashy when this happens
DaveyLC

8th Aug 09 at 09:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
To be fair barely any lessons are done on dual carriageway and NONE on motorways...

Because its illegal to go on a motorway or Motorway class dual carriageway with L plates
Skylined

8th Aug 09 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just undertake with the horn held for a good few seconds....then watch them move over in the mirror
Daveskater
Premium Member

8th Aug 09 at 09:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You do motorways on Pass Plus, but I don't think many people do it

On the way home yesterday I thought there was going to be a crash Was queueing up to a mini roundabout (for some reason there was immense amounts of traffic) and a guy came out to go right from the road I was on, and someone was coming from his left but didn't seem to be slowing down. They only just both stopped in time to not smash each other's front ends in tbh.

If I'm on the motorway and someone's being a middle lane moron and I'm on the inside lane, I'm not going aaaaaaall the way across just to go back over again I find that usually being undertaken makes people move over to the inside

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
DaveyLC

8th Aug 09 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daveskater
I'm not going aaaaaaall the way across just to go back over again I find that usually being undertaken makes people move over to the inside

I make a point of going out (while flashing), over taking (while beeping) and then cutting in really close (with my fog lights on).. Slightly immature? Maybe! Effective.. Definitely!
Daveskater
Premium Member

8th Aug 09 at 09:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tried and tested then

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
philip2

8th Aug 09 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just old bastards who rarely check there mirrors, and think because their overtaking....eventually they can stay there.

ive done it and mates have where we've crept on the under side beeping and giving them the finger(do same on outside lane too)

i tend to sit in the outside lane on the motorway where ever i go but i usually go a reasonable rate where i donot hold traffic up, unless something silly is behind me and i cant pull in becasue of traffic right away. or sit in the inside lane and move out when need too.

another thing i hate is when theres a car in front of you in the outside lane with no one in front of them and they dont pull in to let you pass, when they clearly knwo your there!
AndyCorsaSport

8th Aug 09 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Heppened to me last week on way back from Blackpool with a mate, he was infront, i was following, doing between 80-90, and he passed a new Insignia in the middle lane, and there was nothing else in the middle lane, other than the Insignia, but he decides to pull into the outside lane, after my mate, but infront of me, doing about 70. No need at all. Useless twat, he got a nice dose of main beam!!
pow
Premium Member

8th Aug 09 at 10:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd be wary of any Vauxhall Vectra, Omega, Astra or Insigna pulling out in front of me down here
antnee

8th Aug 09 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Skylined
I just undertake with the horn held for a good few seconds....then watch them move over in the mirror

What I do!

A lot of my mates have no real understanding of how to use lanes properly, my best mate is awful for it, will just sit in one lane for ages.

They should do something to include motorway driving on the test, maybe making pass plus compulsory? There was something in the paper last week about peoples fear of using motorways, cos they don't know how to use them

Edit, found it

quote:

A generation of younger British drivers is incapable of driving on motorways due to a fear of multi-lane roads and a lack of skill, according to a new survey from the AA’s driving school.

As many as one in five drivers who have passed their test in the past five years say they lack the skill necessary to tackle motorways. This finding comes as the AA’s driving instructors encounter an increasing number of people terrified of Britain’s motorway network.

Just 44 per cent of female drivers and those aged 18-24 said they were confident of driving on motorways. This leaves a majority of female and younger drivers who either avoid motorways altogether or don’t feel confident when they drive on them.

Research carried out by the AA last year suggested that, in their first year of driving, 40 per cent of women avoid motorways — a figure that falls to 28 per cent by the third year. By contrast, 65 per cent of drivers aged 55-64 and 70 per cent of male drivers said they were confident enough to drive
on motorways.

Overall, one in seven motorists in the UK say they lack the skills for motorway driving — equivalent to five million drivers. Driving too slowly, failing to observe safe following distances and failing to merge safely when joining the motorway are the problems most commonly seen by AA instructors.

The survey results come as Autocar and the AA call for motorway driving to be included in the driving test. Currently, learner drivers are not allowed on motorways and are not tested on the practical skills needed for motorway driving.

“Drivers aged between 17 and 24 are involved in more than a quarter of motorway accidents involving death or injury, so it’s time the driving test played its part in tackling this issue,” said Autocar news editor Dan Stevens.

[Edited on 08-08-2009 by antnee]
Ben G

8th Aug 09 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i don't understand how people find motorway driving difficult? in my personal experience, 3 and a half years driving, i find them much easier to drive one compared to rural roads or built up areas where you always need to look out for people walking out in front of you.
antnee

8th Aug 09 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
i don't understand how people find motorway driving difficult? in my personal experience, 3 and a half years driving, i find them much easier to drive one compared to rural roads or built up areas where you always need to look out for people walking out in front of you.

Same here, all you have to do on motorways, is look ahead to see what the traffic is doing and keep checking your mirrors
Daveskater
Premium Member

8th Aug 09 at 11:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly. How can you not know how to use a motorway? It's simple

The first time I went on one I just treated it as a dual carriageway but with another lane They don't faze me at all. If anything they're actually better than dual carriageways because when there's a Lorry race going on, you can overtake it.

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
richc

8th Aug 09 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antnee
quote:
Originally posted by Ben G

Same here, all you have to do on motorways, is look ahead to see what the traffic is doing and keep checking your mirrors

Soon as a passed my test, i got home, got in the little corsa and went on the m1. I didnt have any problems. I just find people now days oblivious to common sense. Its the most simple road going!

I have a habbit of undertaking on the motorway for cocks who sit in the middle/outside and dont move over.

Im my experience, it tends to be 'our parents' age (40's, 50's if not older) or our ethnic friends.
Carl

8th Aug 09 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

The first time I went on one I just treated it as a dual carriageway but with another lane They don't faze me at all. If anything they're actually better than dual carriageways because when there's a Lorry race going on, you can overtake it.

Well done Captain Obvious.
antnee

8th Aug 09 at 11:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by richc
or our ethnic friends.

I have always been observant when in the car before I could drive, so learnt a lot from my dad. Best bit of advice he gave me though was, to look as far ahead as you can, look to see whats happening and plan for it, if its bunching up let off the throttle. Look to see where people are likely to pull out to overtake. And most important, you should never need to use your brakes on the motorway. (well unless someone cuts you up, or traffic forces you to a standstill)
Daveskater
Premium Member

8th Aug 09 at 12:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Carl
quote:

Well done Captain Obvious.
Take a chill pill dude

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » It really winds me up... Why can't people learn to drive? 23 database queries in 0.0195918 seconds