corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Abu Dhabi

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Abu Dhabi
Boycey

User status: Offline
7th Sep 09 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has anyone ever been to Abu Dhabi either to work or on holiday? I'm going away next Monday for a month to work. I'm looking forward to seeing this part of the world but I'm not looking forward to working in this sort of heat
Matt L

7th Sep 09 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

liam c (iirc) works/lives over there.

the more i think about it the more convinced i am that im wrong with the name

[Edited on 07-09-2009 by Matt L]
liamC

7th Sep 09 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well done Matt, correct!

Happy to help fella
Matt L

7th Sep 09 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

woop woop im getting better at remembering things
Mad Moe

7th Sep 09 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I may be going out there on sabatical from work as part of a leadership programme next year upto 18 months so I'd be interested to know what peoples thoughts are as well.

Boycey

7th Sep 09 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by liamC
Well done Matt, correct!

Happy to help fella

Cool mate. Basiclly the same old questions. what's it like? Is there a ship yard/dock yard there? I think that's where I'll be working on a rig that's onshore. Cheers
liamC

7th Sep 09 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know this whole place off the back of my hand now, so if you need any help/feedback, then as above, happy to help so drop me a u2u.
liamC

7th Sep 09 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Boycey
quote:
Well done Matt, correct!

Happy to help fella

Cool mate. Basiclly the same old questions. what's it like? Is there a ship yard/dock yard there? I think that's where I'll be working on a rig that's onshore. Cheers

Good crack, social scene, plenty football to watch everywhere and decent bars about. Abu Dhabi city itself is small - it is an island 9 miles by 6 miles. The Abu Dhabi emirate.

Do you mean you'll be working on an oil shipyard/dockyard? As far as I know, there isn't anything like this near the city. There is an oil refinery/ship yard further down the coast in a place called Ruwais, a 3 hour drive away.

If you're working on an onshore rig itself, then it is likely that you'll be in the desert fella - 2/3 hours inland.

Who do you work for (U2U)? I may know people within the company, as there are plenty scottish hoolies here working in oil.
Boycey

7th Sep 09 at 11:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry mate just realised you replied on here. I work fo National Oilwell Varco. Known as NOV or Varco. I don't know much about where I'm going to be honest. I just know that I'm flying out next Monday to meet a few boys. Is it expensive out there? About 50 dirham is 8/9 quid. Is this true or am I talking jiberish?
Boycey

7th Sep 09 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And I'm pleasantly surprised about having plenty of football to watch
liamC

7th Sep 09 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think I've heard of them mate aye, but don't know anyone who works for them.

Just work off 60dhs as a tenner and you'll be fine.

Every match is on live mate, so if you're staying in a hotel then you're not far away from a bar/football. Do you know where you'll be staying?

I will U2U you my number if you want. Not sure if you play football or owt, but drop me a text if you're living in/around the city. If you bring your boots you can come for a game on Sunday nights with us if you're keen.

It is quite expensive out here, but for the length of time you'll be out here you probably won't feel it. You may get a daily allowance to buy food etc. All depends on how tight your company are really.
Mad Moe

7th Sep 09 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been told that a majority of the work I'll be looking after will be to do infastructure at Motor City, however I'll not know until the end of the month when I'll be likely to be heading out
Boycey

7th Sep 09 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Every match is on live mate, so if you're staying in a hotel then you're not far away from a bar/football. Do you know where you'll be staying?

I will U2U you my number if you want. Not sure if you play football or owt, but drop me a text if you're living in/around the city. If you bring your boots you can come for a game on Sunday nights with us if you're keen.

It is quite expensive out here, but for the length of time you'll be out here you probably won't feel it. You may get a daily allowance to buy food etc. All depends on how tight your company are really.

I've just found out that my company are giving me £45 a day to spend on food. I get my breakfast provided at the hotel so I'll only need to buy lunch and dinner I've just worked out that if I'm going for a month then I'll be getting £1350 to spend on food etc. There's no way I spend that on food at home so I should make a few bob on my food expenses alone I'll feel like an MP
Colin

7th Sep 09 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably be quite dear to eat out there though....if your staying in a hotel you've not got much choice.
Boycey

7th Sep 09 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Probably be quite dear to eat out there though....if your staying in a hotel you've not got much choice.

Yeah I've heard its a wee bit expensive out there but one of my pals from work is in Dubai right now and he says he only spends about 10/20 quid a day if he goes out to eat at KFC etc instead of eating in the hotel. So hopefully there is a few places I can go to eat in Abu Dhabi that isn't too expensive.
Colin

7th Sep 09 at 14:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is the rota 28/28 or longer away?

I think you'll sicken yourself of fast food after about 4 days!!

Should be good though, enjoy the experience. I dont have the bug to move out the north sea yet......not sure I ever will, im enjoying my 14/14, 14/28's for now!!
CORSA NUT

7th Sep 09 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is a very interesting thread
Shell
Premium Member

7th Sep 09 at 14:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't think Boycey will ever tire of fast food Haha, I jest Liam!
That's great that you're starting going offshore etc now! What does Lisa make of it?
P.s, are you available this sat?
Boycey

7th Sep 09 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
What is the rota 28/28 or longer away?

I think you'll sicken yourself of fast food after about 4 days!!

Should be good though, enjoy the experience. I dont have the bug to move out the north sea yet......not sure I ever will, im enjoying my 14/14, 14/28's for now!!

Yeah I'll be roughly doing 28/28. It may drag on for a few days more like 30/30 or 35/35 but all in all round about a month. I would rather work in the north sea just now when its not freezing than work in the raging heat of the Emirates. One place I'm not looking forward to working in is some parts of Russia. -40
Boycey

7th Sep 09 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Shelley
Don't think Boycey will ever tire of fast food Haha, I jest Liam!
That's great that you're starting going offshore etc now! What does Lisa make of it?
P.s, are you available this sat?

That's harsh. Although I'm of the medium build type you'll be surprised to hear that I don't like McDs and KFC that much Lisa's fne with it although I'll be away for her bday so I said I would take her on holiday when I got back lol What's happening on Sat Sheldo?
Shell
Premium Member

7th Sep 09 at 14:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that you proper started now? Like that's you qualified etc? As a medium build myself(I've actually lost over half a stone recently so am back to my slim build:lol I fair enjoy a McD's so I do KFC makes me gag!
Fair chuffed for you dear, it'll be reet fun visiting lots of places. Maybe you'll be able to afford somewhere nicer with Lisa than Chapel street
It's Eck's birthday! He wants to go ooooot!
Boycey

7th Sep 09 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not fully qualified no. Thats me in my 4th year and done all my training and college etc so I'm starting to go out with other fully qualified service engineers for a couple of years then I'm out on my own once I've gained all the experience and knowledge that I need.

I shall be out on Sat. Where doe he want to go? Actually I'll U2U
liamC

8th Sep 09 at 06:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I've just found out that my company are giving me £45 a day to spend on food. I get my breakfast provided at the hotel so I'll only need to buy lunch and dinner I've just worked out that if I'm going for a month then I'll be getting £1350 to spend on food etc. There's no way I spend that on food at home so I should make a few bob on my food expenses alone I'll feel like an MP

Sweeeeet. Do you know which hotel you're be staying in?
Eck
Premium Member

8th Sep 09 at 06:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

If I'm being perfectly honest... I think you'll be owing your company a few bob per month mate
liamC

8th Sep 09 at 06:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck

If I'm being perfectly honest... I think you'll be owing your company a few bob per month mate

Why?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Abu Dhabi 22 database queries in 0.1497741 seconds