corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Company name ideas?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Company name ideas?
Paul_J

User status: Offline
9th Nov 09 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm thinking of setting up a company against a business account to act for my personal tradings (set up as a sole trader). I have a stable full time job, so that will be my main source of income, but i'm looking to start freelancing part time as iphone app developer / web / software developer. Plus have a couple of personal projects which if become profitable need to be set against a company.

Now the thing I'm really struggling with is a name...

Basically the company will be software / media related, but I don't want a really boring name.

On the other hand I don't want a name so crazy that it gets me weird looks everytime I say to someone. It also benefits from being easy to say (and understand) and preferably have a domain available / easily searchable.

Anyone got any tips / ideas for the name?

My surname is Joslin, so I was thinking Josedia (Jos Media) or something... but I don't really like it.

I had off the wall random names like Rujorka! Just as it'd be a unique name. My work colleague just suggested 'Sneeze Knuckles' - it's certainly random... prob the best I have so far, so help me out.

Any ideas.
Neo

9th Nov 09 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Essay Developments

TBH i'd stick with your surname and something, it makes it much easier as you can effectively just make up a word.

[Edited on 09-11-2009 by Neo]
Cosmo

9th Nov 09 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Something with just Joslin in it would be best imo, like Joslin Media, or Joslin Creative Studio or something.
AlexN
Banned

9th Nov 09 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jolsin for a place in an already overcrowded sector?
jr

9th Nov 09 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

p90xdvddevlopmentslongpost ltd ?
Nismo

9th Nov 09 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need to think of how you can build a logo into the name, a brand something people can reconise.

Sometimes some words just dont work when it comes down to branding.

If you want to be a creative / media company then you need to be creative with your name.

Choose something that means something.

Heres one off the top of my head Cipher Solutions.

Define Cipher: a message written in a secret code or convert ordinary language into code

There is a catchy name that has a meaning, imo this is the best way to go about things.
Paul_J

9th Nov 09 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thing is, half the idea potentially of having a company name to trade under, is that it would be seperated from me personally... Otherwise i may as well just be trading as 'Paul Joslin'?

If Joslin Media ends up in the death of many baby seals, then it'll reflect bad on me

quote:
Originally posted by AlexN
Jolsin for a place in an already overcrowded sector?

True, but i'm not relying on it as a main source of income... it's just a side line as I occasionally get people wanting stuff made / done, and at the moment I avoid the tax man entirely and do it all very 'wink wink' / 'nudge nudge', cash in hand style.
mwg

9th Nov 09 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jos Media
Nismo

9th Nov 09 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also think about web presence. How your company name will sit in thelikes of google.

Easy to find or not? Rolls off the tongue etc...

Paul_J

9th Nov 09 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
You need to think of how you can build a logo into the name, a brand something people can reconise.

If you want to be a creative / media company then you need to be creative with your name.

Define Cipher: a message written in a secret code or convert ordinary language into code

There is a catchy name that has a meaning, imo this is the best way to go about things.

Yeah I agree Nismo That's exactly my thinking, long term... a brand / logo... If I get 1 big hit on a app store success, I'd quit my job and do it full time So the company that brought you 'title x / y / z' would then be the full company and who knows where it'd grow to... Hence I wouldn't want to start it with some stupid / pointless name that I couldn't imagine having on a plaque outside an office
Neo

9th Nov 09 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have something shortnened possibly

AppDev for example ?
AndyKent

9th Nov 09 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do my photography under 'APK Digital'.

Short, not embarrasing and tells people what I do. Not exactly the most original but it doesn't matter.

If I were you I wouldn't get too hung up on the name being perfect, its what you produce that matters.
Cosmo

9th Nov 09 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You either want your name in it or not?

I would always use something that is slightly edgy and stands out, as it makes marketing so much easier. it just really depends on who your clients are going to be (something edgy/different wont always be helpful in attracting professionals, where as your name probably would).
Nismo

9th Nov 09 at 14:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo

Yeah I agree Nismo That's exactly my thinking, long term... a brand / logo... If I get 1 big hit on a app store success, I'd quit my job and do it full time So the company that brought you 'title x / y / z' would then be the full company and who knows where it'd grow to... Hence I wouldn't want to start it with some stupid / pointless name that I couldn't imagine having on a plaque outside an office

We are in the process of building Apps for iPhones, we have been liasing with an iPhone developer, He has published 1 app to iTunes, he sells 1000 copys a day at 59p he makes £600 per day, im sure you can do the maths! he no longer has a job, hes a freelance developer now.

Neo, Its not really a great idea to tie your company name to one product as you never know what you could be offereing in a year - 5 years time!

DaveyLC

9th Nov 09 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PJay Holdings.
Dijotal
Josoft

[Edited on 09-11-2009 by DaveyLC]
Nismo

9th Nov 09 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also what ever you choose you will need a domain thats free, that makes it that much harder!

I like the sound of Magic 8 Solutions / Data / Networks / Developments!

That gives you a good base for branding / colour coding etc...

And all Magic 8 domains are avalible at the mo.
Half Pint

9th Nov 09 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

arse bandits & faggots fan club should do it
Neo

9th Nov 09 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Half Pint

Can you guarantee you won't be having any problems with the suppliers?
Paul_J

9th Nov 09 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah iphone App developers are hot at the moment... Even if you don't produce your own killer app, there's loads of freelance development available and they're generally not that hard to produce.

I think it boils down to the fact that most people are .net developers these days (I am) and iphone development is not .net, and not just C oriented, but Objective C which was recently voted the 38th least popular coding language.

Plus the fact that you can only develop iphone apps on a intel based mac, it puts a lot of standard windows developers off from venturing into it... (although a lot have and it's a saturated market - it's still not as saturated as normal dev).

Out of interest, how is that bloke trading? Just as himself?

[Edited on 09-11-2009 by Paul_J]
Paul_J

9th Nov 09 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Half Pint

taken already by ojc bugger...
Nismo

9th Nov 09 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Trades just under his name.
James

9th Nov 09 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul can you develop iPhone apps on computers that aren't Macs?
Paul_J

9th Nov 09 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
Paul can you develop iPhone apps on computers that aren't Macs?

nope... You can build them on a hackintosh (a virtual machine or a non mac running a mac osx, but it won't compile down correctly and thus you'll never be able to publish it on the mac store!).

I bought a shonky old mac book (has to be intel based though! so limits you to macs from the last 3-4 years or newer).

Basically mac books still go for anywhere from £300-£500 even the older ones! The newer ones £500-£800 +

So I started looking for a broken one. I picked up my intel core 2 duo mac book off ebay, with a non functioning screen for £112. I plug it straight into my external 24" monitor and job done
ed

9th Nov 09 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has to be on a Mac, you can't even develop on a Hackintosh for some reason. If you make an app on a Hac then you can only use it on Jailbroken handsets.
ed

9th Nov 09 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Were the Macbooks the cheapest Paul, I was thinking of getting a Mac Mini for this kind of thing...

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Company name ideas? 22 database queries in 0.3144372 seconds