corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » School mates... Where are they now?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author School mates... Where are they now?
Paul_J

User status: Offline
12th Nov 09 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How many people keep in contact with school mates and what are they doing now?

I'm really bad in keeping contact with school mates, occasionally I get one add me on facebook and I say 'hey long time no see, what have you been up to?'. The majority have not been up to much, mostly wasting their time at uni doing pointless degrees and now unable to find a job, some with kids / marriage / houses and a few in well paid jobs.

Yesterday a class mate added me (note, not seen or spoken to him for over 7 years). A quick glance at his facebook page and he graduated from oxford with a law degree, and now lives in America.

'America' I thought? Why did he go over seas?

Then I read a bit further and found out, he set up a online company after leaving uni, got $400k of initial seed investment and sold his company last year for $5 million. I had no idea, despite this being covered on a lot of news sites / tv news.

His web company seemed crap and he did a good thing selling it (especially just before the credit crunch hit), but overall he seemed very business minded (rather than technical minded) and seems to have done very well.

Makes me feel a bit odd, knowing that this guy has done this and I haven't and that I would've carded myself at school doing this long before he would. I guess i've been a dreamer rather than a do'er (constantly using the excuse of no time / no money for years)... I may have to look into changing that now!

However, it got me thinking - how many of you are still in contact with mates from school (I do realise some of you will still be at school / left like a year ago ) - have any of them done anything interesting?
Marc

12th Nov 09 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Funny you should say that. 4 added me to Face Ache this month. Theres about 8 from school that have added me, one of which is from primary school

I'm friends with only 4 people from school though, not including the people above. 3 of which are who I go drinking with etc.

Edit - I also went to play school with one of my mates

[Edited on 12-11-2009 by Marc]
FruitBooTeR

12th Nov 09 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A lot of people at my school were posh stuck up twats so had a lot more friends outside school rather than at school. Still keep in touch with a few though
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

12th Nov 09 at 09:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

still see my mates from school
Richardhhha

12th Nov 09 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

most of the people i went to school with are ether dead or in prison lol
Ojc

12th Nov 09 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There were a group of us.

Mark
Craig
Craig
Ryan
Tim
Kev
Dave

Kev is in jail for stabbing someone 30 times.

Mark doesn't talk to me anymore as I slept with his missus

Ryan is a crack addict

Craig is married with two kids

Craig has two restraining orders taken out against him by two different girls

Tim had to go into rehab due to massive depression issues and lost loads of weight

Dave works at our old school as a PE teacher and is fairly normal

I've spent the last 10 years on a Corsa Forum.
Mad Moe

12th Nov 09 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's me and six of my friends who have all know each other since we were about 4 years old and still get together for a night out at least once a fortnight

[Edited on 12-11-2009 by Mad Moe]
Marc

12th Nov 09 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Damn Reading fans.
Ojc

12th Nov 09 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/cctv-footage-of-fatal-stabbing-is-shown-to-jury-662140.html

I had seen Kev just that morning, I was with my ex in town and had been laughing joking etc. If he had come back to Tilehurst with me rather than staying in town this whole episode might have never happened.

[Edited on 12-11-2009 by Ojc]
JadeM
Premium Member

12th Nov 09 at 10:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've lost touch with most of mine

All my own fault tbh. I get the odd txt asking me out etc every now and then, but I never go. I really should make the effort
Marc

12th Nov 09 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kolingingus should loosen the reigns
DaveyLC

12th Nov 09 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
There were a group of us.

Mark
Craig
Craig
Ryan
Tim
Kev
Dave

Kev is in jail for stabbing someone 30 times.

Mark doesn't talk to me anymore as I slept with his missus

Ryan is a crack addict

Craig is married with two kids

Craig has two restraining orders taken out against him by two different girls

Tim had to go into rehab due to massive depression issues and lost loads of weight

Dave works at our old school as a PE teacher and is fairly normal

I've spent the last 10 years on a Corsa Forum.

Sounds like my mates

I grew up surrounded by some pretty shady characters and went to a really shitty school but I've done pretty well for myself I like to think

I still see loads of my close mates I went to school with as we all live pretty local still.

Although none of them are millionaires yet.. I want to be the first!

[Edited on 12-11-2009 by DaveyLC]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

12th Nov 09 at 10:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ollies post is awesome.

I keep in contact with one friend from school and hes my best mate, all my other friends come from other circles be it college, work, car stuff, computing or randoms.
Daimo B

12th Nov 09 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gaz - Still my best friend
Mark - Still see occasionally
Andy - See above
Dan - Was best friend for a while, he went off with a women 10 years his senior and went to essex, forgot us, calls us when he is bored, so don't care
Chris - Best mate early on at school (rugby), dissapeared off the face of the earth

All the others I don't really know, they are mostly on my FB, but don't know what they do. Either got kids, or own their own companies, or just normal people. Some have turned into investment bankers and earn loads.

Some of them make me very envious of their careers, esp as some of them were idiots. Makes me wonder where I went wrong
Crana

12th Nov 09 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Left school 2 years ago and most of them have kids and are on the dole, some have died but I still see a few of my mates but don't really hang round with them... Got most people from school on my facebook but don't speak to them much.... And this is only after 2 years
MatthewR

12th Nov 09 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I share a house with my two best mates from school lol rest of us all still regulary speak and get pist together we have been very fortunate to all still be alive n well and in no major disputes etc. None of us have gone on to stardom or make millions........yet
mwg

12th Nov 09 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only school friend I keep any meaningful contact with is my best mate. But he is usually either travelling the world or at the moment working in London so dont see him that often.

There is a lad I used to be mates with at school that I see now and again but only if I happen to bump in to him. Rest of the people I went to school with I only have any contact with through facebook and even then I cant really be arsed with them

Prefer the group of mates I have made since leaving school TBH.
Tommy L

12th Nov 09 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lower/Middle school - None at all. Occasionally see them out in town but thats about it.

Secondary school - Keep in contact with my best mates which i see all the time but don't really bother with others. Occasionally chat on msn or when out in town but none are really doing or done anything brilliant apart from uni.

[Edited on 12-11-2009 by corsa_tomtom]
Paul_J

12th Nov 09 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm surprised so many don't see people from school that much any more... I know some people from school who still stay in their tight group...

I had a close group of mates while at school, but drifted apart in my late teens and then never saw them again after I went to uni. I think partly because I realised they were nothing like me / didn't share the same interests as me. Only when getting to uni and having the chance to start afresh picking new mates on my wave length, did I realise how little i had in common with my old friends.

On a similar note, if you ever made it big / got famous... do you think you'd regret making the posts online that you have?

I mean, potentially if I google my email or Paul_J I'll probably get countless posts where I jokingly laugh about jade goodys cancer, or the like...

Obviously this is internet humour. However, if in the unlikely event I had news articles about me, I wonder how much would get dug up and mis quoted
mwg

12th Nov 09 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd have that much money that I wouldn't give a shit
Ojc

12th Nov 09 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I actually talk to the lads & lasses I grew up with in my Primary School in Kent more than secondary school friends now.

Although I'm friends with just about everyone in my year on Facebook, I don't envy any of them most of the girls I used to chase around are now fat and have at least two kids where as the geeks that I used to spit on and kick footballs at are now fit.

This girl I used to sit in front of in Business Studies who never spoke to me even though I used to slap her with a ruler every lesson, fill her bag up with keyboards and generally just abuse her for not having a neck recently added me to Facebook. She used to come down my road when I had a scooter and stalk me, my mate ended up shagging her mate in my garage, classy.

Then I did the deed with her, fuck me we went down McDonalds and on the way back I had her pants down on the golf course, she didn't have massive tits but had the must ridiculous sized nipples. Huge.

Then my mate went through her when I boi'd her off and we used to bully her in Business Studies for the rest of the year.

Shes quite hot these days, seems to have developed a neck as well. I think I've burnt my bridges with that one though
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

12th Nov 09 at 10:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PMSL
mwg

12th Nov 09 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quality
VegasPhil
Premium Member

12th Nov 09 at 11:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FLOL

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Ojc

12th Nov 09 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And the bird that my mate shagged in my garage is now really fit, she even used to turn up around his house and do his mums ironing.

Shame she never changed her clothes though.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » School mates... Where are they now? 23 database queries in 0.0145562 seconds