corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » What would you do in this situation? (essay)

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What would you do in this situation? (essay)
Aaron

User status: Offline
11th Dec 09 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Scenario

You're a 26 year old guy who is the line manager of 2 colleagues...one 25 year old lad and the other a 46 woman.

For a long time now, the woman has been constantly trying to land you in the shit. She bands around that you're shit at your job, and tells other members of staff to put in complaints about you. She's generally late for work, and when she is there...she acts like a childish little bitch. When she doesn’t get her own way, she runs off to the senior leaders shouting "union, union, union"...oh, and she has a lot of sick days too.

Now, this woman has handed in her notice for her job, and leaves next Friday (18th). It also emerges that she may well try and take the organisation to court and claim constructive dismissal. You've been told by the senior leader of the organisation to simply treat the woman professionally until she leaves, and only speak to her when you have to.

You won’t actually be there on the day she leaves, as you'd already booked it off as a day’s holiday...before she'd handed in her notice.

Do you do the usual routine and buy her a leaving card + a bottle of wine or something and hand it to her on the Thursday, or do you simply do noting...leave work on the Thursday and forget about her?

FYI...I’m in this exact situation. I'm the manager of course

Words can't describe how devious this woman is, and I’ve had to put up with it for well over 3 years now.

[Edited on 11-12-2009 by Aaron]
Aaron

11th Dec 09 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The obvious answer is of course to kick her in the c-unit
John

11th Dec 09 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Leave work on the thursday without even speaking to her.
johnhara1

11th Dec 09 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do the usual routine IMO.
C2RL R

11th Dec 09 at 16:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fuck it she is just a colleague.
Cosmo

11th Dec 09 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Leave work on the thursday without even speaking to her.

this
Cosmo

11th Dec 09 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why would you even consider being polite to her and giving her a card and a gift if she has been a little bitch?

Just fuck her off and ignore her tbh.
Hammer

11th Dec 09 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why would you even consider giving her presents?
SteveW

11th Dec 09 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Card and a cheapy bottle of wine to show that you appreciated her efforts

will make you seem the bigger man really
DaveyLC

Why does she think you are 'useless' is it just her having issues with being managed by someone younger?
Aaron

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Why would you even consider being polite to her and giving her a card and a gift if she has been a little bitch?

Reason being, because i work in a school..and people form/change opinions very quickly. I can imagine people's opinion of me may change if they realise i didnt make any effort in her "send off".

I realise what you're saying though Cosmo, if i'm any decent manager...i shouldn't care of their opinions...i should just get on with the job i'm doing.

Aaron

11th Dec 09 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
Why does she think you are 'useless' is it just her having issues with being managed by someone younger?

One of the many reasons to be honest, and also because i've said "no" to things she's asked for....like a TOTAL change to her job
Cosmo

11th Dec 09 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aj. would of kicked her in her cunt.

But then again Aj wouldnt of been in this position as he is not useless at his job like you.
Cosmo

11th Dec 09 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron
Reason being, because i work in a school..and people form/change opinions very quickly. I can imagine people's opinion of me may change if they realise i didnt make any effort in her "send off".

I realise what you're saying though Cosmo, if i'm any decent manager...i shouldn't care of their opinions...i should just get on with the job i'm doing.

Do the other people know she has been causing trouble for you?
Aaron

11th Dec 09 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SteveW
Card and a cheapy bottle of wine to show that you appreciated her efforts

will make you seem the bigger man really

Yeah, this is what i thought...wont cost me anything...and as you rightly say, i'll appear as the bigger man.
Aaron

11th Dec 09 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

This is the interesting bit.

Some staff know all about whats gone on....BUT, she's also "got to" many others...and given them her side of the story (the one where i'm shit etc etc blah blah)
SteveW

11th Dec 09 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

This is the interesting bit.

Some staff know all about whats gone on....BUT, she's also "got to" many others...and given them her side of the story (the one where i'm shit etc etc blah blah)

All the more reason for a send off gift.. you know it makes sense
Marc

11th Dec 09 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd have given her a disciplinary long ago for her lateness.
Hammer

11th Dec 09 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Grow some balls. You're not a manager to make good impressions and be nice to people that are workng behind your back to deface your character. I'd say it would do everything but make you look like the bigger man. In fact what you should do is tell her she is a sleekit cow that you are glad to see the back of, not shower her with gifts in a fake cheery send off.
Cosmo

11th Dec 09 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH sending a card and stuff could make you look like a push over to the staff remaining and think they can get away with treating you how she did and you'll just take it like the little bitch you are.
Aaron

11th Dec 09 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
I'd have given her a disciplinary long ago for her lateness.

Doesnt work like that at our place...i have power over fuck all apart from the network (ICT Manager). The guy who'd make the decision to give her a disciplinary is also WAAAAAAAAY too spineless

Edit - oh, and that guy is the head teacher by the way

[Edited on 11-12-2009 by Aaron]
Aaron

11th Dec 09 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All good points to be honest
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

11th Dec 09 at 16:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was in a similar situation years ago when i worked as a stock controller for serve fresh.

50odd year old woman didnt like the fact that an 18 year old was on the same money so ended up telling the manager i was useless and i got sacked
Neo

11th Dec 09 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In my opinion, do what you would do for any other colleague leaving. Being her line manager it'd be down to you i assume to get a card for everyone to sign etc. Real cheap bottle of wine and a garage bunch of flowers to say "This is how much your work has meant to us".

Also try and get a photo of a few colleagues with her on her last day smiling and looking happy. Also, possibly get a senior manager or if you have power to have a "Leaving Meeting" with her. Ask why she is leaving, how her time has been etc And note all this down, possibly even give her a short form to fill in and just discuss the answers. Give it the normal spiel "This is your chance to tell us what to do better, where we have gone wrong etc"

With all these covered if she ever did say anything or try and take you to court you have a signed reason for her leaving, photo's of her smiling on her last day holding presents your team got her.
Cosmo

11th Dec 09 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Neo
With all these covered if she ever did say anything or try and take you to court you have a signed reason for her leaving, photo's of her smiling on her last day holding presents your team got her.

FPMSL

A picture of her smiling and any presents would do fuck all if she took the company to a tribunal for constructive dismissal

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » What would you do in this situation? (essay) 22 database queries in 0.1360302 seconds