corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Education and getting a job

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Education and getting a job
will_doyle
Banned

User status: Offline
12th Dec 09 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Since early teens it's been drilled into my head by my parents that you wont really get a well paid job without decent qualifications.

Are there people on here who dont have hardly any qualifications and finding it hard to get a decent a job?

Or is it the other way round with some people?
corsa-sxi

12th Dec 09 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive had education, i aint got a well paid job....far from it in fact, load of bollocks
fir3vip3r

12th Dec 09 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

everyone experiences something different..

im a lot better off than a lot of people i know whove been to Uni etc.

do what you want to do
Gaz

12th Dec 09 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends what you class as good money?

I have a GCSE education (not a very good one) but I seriously did not get on with learning out of books. Its not how I learn.

Since leaving school I'm now sat on Approx 20K in a job I have knuckled down in and got myself up to scratch!

Qualification are not everything, But they probably help. IMO its about hard work, the right attitude and not worrying about having to do a bit of leg work to get you to your end destination.
Lynny

12th Dec 09 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fir3vip3r
everyone experiences something different..

im a lot better off than a lot of people i know whove been to Uni etc.

do what you want to do
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

12th Dec 09 at 20:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

currently on a 24k job that needs no qualifications

i was easily smart enough for uni just didnt like the thought of education for years and years
Colin

12th Dec 09 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didnt go to uni but i'd consider my industry/job to pay better than most people with a degree working a normal employee position would earn.
AK

12th Dec 09 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you do need proper qualifications for great (top) jobs... and they need to be at a good level for a lot of them... 1st class, 2.1 etc
AlunJ

12th Dec 09 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I came out of school with my a levels, and I earn about 16.5k atm, but theres plenty of scope from promotion and better pay levels where I am when things pick up economically. I mean if I worked hard at it, in a couple of years I could be earning close to 40k (which would be nice)
richc

12th Dec 09 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham

i was easily smart enough for uni just didnt like the thought of education for years and years

What job is that?
Paul_J

12th Dec 09 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thing is, it depends what you class as good money...

I don't really think of anything under 45-50k as 'good pay'.

I'd say 25-35 is 'average'
and 20 or less is below average...

60-100k + is excellent.

... you'll get people saying 'I earn 21k and i live a really good life, loads of money etc...'

but then you find they are from up north and live with their parents and pay no rent... So their 21k after tax goes straight to the disposable income fund.

Where as you could have someone on 35-40k living in london, and their disposable income may be small due to high costs of living / rent / bills / council tax / paying back student loan etc.

remember, when you start earning good money your tax becomes 40%, combined with 9% for student loan and whatever national insurance is, you're potentially handing over more than 50% back ...

So bear that in mind when someone says they earn 50k and you're on 25k, they don't get double what you earn.

[Edited on 12-12-2009 by Paul_J]
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

12th Dec 09 at 21:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by richc
quote:

What job is that?

machine operator/setter
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

12th Dec 09 at 21:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J

60-100k + is excellent.

... you'll get people saying 'I earn 21k and i live a really good life, loads of money etc...'

but then you find they are from up north and live with their parents and pay no rent... So their 21k after tax goes straight to the disposable income fund.

Where as you could have someone on 35-40k living in london, and their disposable income may be small due to high costs of living / rent / bills / council tax / paying back student loan etc.

remember, when you start earning good money your tax becomes 40%, combined with 9% for student loan and whatever national insurance is, you're potentially handing over more than 50% back ...

So bear that in mind when someone says they earn 50k and you're on 25k, they don't get double what you earn.

im on 24 with my own house own car and still have plenty of spare cash

granted its not a great wage though 40k would be amazing
Andrew

12th Dec 09 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have loads of qualificaions but far from earn good money at the moment. However, this is being looked into again now we have managment that will bring in decent contacts.

However, i run around in a company van so don't pay fuel or repairs, love what i do and clear £1300 a month.

My degree got me the foot in the door. The Microsoft certifications bumped up my wages and generally looks good for clients to see.
Paul_J

13th Dec 09 at 00:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J

60-100k + is excellent.

im on 24 with my own house own car and still have plenty of spare cash

granted its not a great wage though 40k would be amazing

No offence, but I'm extremely doubtful on 24k a year you were able to get a house etc. Although, I think you're from up north so potentially the houses may be a fair bit cheaper, so this may not be valid.

but for a house down here you're looking at a 40k + deposit really did get any sort of decent mortgage on just a flat. To get a house you're prob looking at needing to stump up 50-70k or so. Then obv be ball and chained to the extreme mortgage / council tax etc etc.

- Put simply, for a house down here you either have to live with your parents till you're nearly 30 saving most of your monthly wage till you can get a decent mortgage deposit, or have a long term partner and share the cost from both your incomes, or (and this is often the most common case) come into a substanial amount of money, e.g. Inheritence from dead grand parents etc. This then get's the deposit paid for and then you're basically paying the same it'd cost to rent on mortgage, so fine.

Look at people like OJC, Him and Rach have good jobs, earn decent money and could easily afford the mortgage repayments, but trying to save for the initial deposit is the killer.

I'm now renting and am unable to save much at all, as such it'll be years before I get a deposit (no grand parents alive in my life time, to give me any money anyway). Hence I'm going to be needing to earn 'good money' to afford that.

Sure if houses were 160k down here, I could pay for a cheap deposit and pay a high mortgage repayment, but for a nice 3 bed house I'd be looking at 250-300k at least.
Ben G

13th Dec 09 at 00:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 blokes i work with went university, 1 is a lower grade than me.

another bloke didn't get any gcse's and got mechanics qualifications.

we are all on between 35-40k p.a

i got gcse's and a-levels.

so you can find jobs without needing many qualifications, but it will be more difficult to get into.
pow
Premium Member

13th Dec 09 at 00:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a bnaging job (IMO) and i didn't go to uni.
Ben G

13th Dec 09 at 00:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

paul, me and the missus spoke to a mortgage advisor last month and we needed a 10% deposit, which for a 180k house is obviously 18k.

don't need 50-70k for a house unless you're looking way above what you need.

granted, it's nice to have a big expensive house in a nice area, but sometimes you just have to compromise.

plenty of houses around 200k about 10 miles away from upminster.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

13th Dec 09 at 00:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no deposit when i got mine

shared between me and my brother
fazza

13th Dec 09 at 00:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im a qualified sparkie with 10 gcses also but now own 2 phone shops with a good mate

i dont own a house as the shops owe me alot but currently renting a place(575 p/m) and im only 21

as others have said i think its all about attutude rathert than grades as such
Paul_J

13th Dec 09 at 00:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
no deposit when i got mine

shared between me and my brother

There you go then,

Reality is, you've got no deposit down, so the repayments will be higher - I don't know the value of the property, but down here putting no deposit down you'd have to pay a fortune per month.

- Plus you're sharing with your brother, so it's not a wage of 24k that's paying for that property. Probably more like a combined 50k wage, which is why I said you couldn't really get a house on 24k a year with no deposit.
MarkSport

13th Dec 09 at 00:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get told this by my parents alot.I have wanted to be an electrician since i left school in 2002 but never had the funds to pay for the night course.I'm hoping 2010 i can have the funds sorted for the 3 year night course and have my own sparkie company by the age of 30 (23 now).I've never had a job over 15k a year which is quite bad i feel but you don't get nothing for free these days.I've always refused to have cars on finance and stuff aswell as i believe its better to own my own vehicle instead of paying a never ending finance on a daily dating car..
Paul_J

13th Dec 09 at 00:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
paul, me and the missus spoke to a mortgage advisor last month and we needed a 10% deposit, which for a 180k house is obviously 18k.

don't need 50-70k for a house unless you're looking way above what you need.

granted, it's nice to have a big expensive house in a nice area, but sometimes you just have to compromise.

plenty of houses around 200k about 10 miles away from upminster.

Yeah but you're looking at sharing the cost of your mortgage with your missus, plus you're on 35-40k already.

So I'm assuming you're combined wage is 60k+ therefore you will be able to afford the repayments that you will get from a small 10% deposit.

So what I keep saying is you can't buy a house on a wage of 24k with no deposit. Basically I don't know what you pay monthly towards your mortgage, but I'm doubtful someone on 24k could cover that after tax / insurance / bills / council tax / ni / student loan repayments / food / etc... if they only put 10% down on the property...

hence, someone on 24k will need a large deposit to start with, to be able to afford the (smaller) repayments. hence needing 50-60k up front for even a 160k place.

[Edited on 13-12-2009 by Paul_J]
Ben G

13th Dec 09 at 00:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

24k is low, yes, but house prices up north are a lot cheaper, as you said. so it's not so bad for northeners.

down here, yes you'd be fucked with the deposit for years unless you had some inheritance come in.

swings and roundabouts really.

go up north, earn less but properties are less.

come down south, earn more (on average) but pay high prices on property.
John

13th Dec 09 at 00:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been down south recently and I might also have to move down there in the future for a job.

Unless you are in London, or within easy comute of London the prices are as near as exactly the same as houses I look at in Glasgow.

Yes I could go and live in a slum for 50k but I won't be, you're at least 200k for something half decent, I'm fairly north.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Education and getting a job 22 database queries in 0.0157001 seconds