corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » I want another drum kit

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author I want another drum kit
MarkSport

User status: Offline
3rd Jan 10 at 05:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when i see drum covers like this....Its awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32QjS0noXv8
Matt L

3rd Jan 10 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

seconded, almost got one at xmas but decided against it as it would only be a used occasionally.
Dom

3rd Jan 10 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it's pretty good, but being nit picky he needs to tune his snare. Also he isn't that tight, it's quite noticeable in his Livin' On a Prayer video - *shameless plug, >Here's< my rendition for a uni project about 3/4 years ago (please excuse the piss poor vocalist).

Mark - have you managed to have a go on any of the leccy kits that are about? I know you seemed interested in the Roland series in the last thread....
Skylined

3rd Jan 10 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

related vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyyUFDfv34Q&feature=related

Laney

3rd Jan 10 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought the guy was pretty much in the pocket and more importantly he was well relaxed.

Good technique too
Dom

3rd Jan 10 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Laney
I thought the guy was pretty much in the pocket and more importantly he was well relaxed.

Good technique too

either the recording is out (not impossible, especially if it's taken from vinyl/tape in which case it'll drifting back and forth slightly) or he's out (hits on the snare and kick), although it's more noticeable on his other videos.
Saying that though, it's pretty difficult to keep track of timing listening to music, a click track is obviously easier (ish - i know plenty of drummers that are tight playing in a band but are all over the show when they have to play to a click).

Don't get me wrong though, the guy certainly has talent and a lot of skill

[Edited on 03-01-2010 by Dom]
Jambo

3rd Jan 10 at 13:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sold mine in 2004 due to lack of space

Had it for 10years, i doubt i can even remember how to drum
Nath

3rd Jan 10 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do you learn to play drums? Do people offer lessons and stuff?
Jambo

3rd Jan 10 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mum payed for me to learn when i was younger.Hated the lessons when i was a kid appreciated it when i was older and wiser
Dom

3rd Jan 10 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
My mum payed for me to learn when i was younger.Hated the lessons when i was a kid appreciated it when i was older and wiser

likewise with me playing the Piano, dropped it all when i was 11/12 as i couldn't be arsed with all of the classical music, but i regret giving it up even though i've tried lessons again but it's stupidly hard when you get older.

Nath - yeah, most people will get lessons when their at school (tends to be cheaper than getting an external teacher). Saying that though, there are plenty of drummers that have never had a lesson (eg: Lars Ulrich) yet are extremely talented drummers.
Jambo

3rd Jan 10 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if i still had a drumkit i would be better than buddy rich by now.

I got back into it around the age of 19 and started re learning and re started up my lessons. By the time i had been practicing for 2years straight i was the best i had ever been. Then sold my kit cos i had to move

Broke my heart
oceansoul

3rd Jan 10 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive never had lessons as such. Use to go to a drum teachers weekly tho, but he didnt teach as such...just provided assistance and guidance to my playing. He had a roland td-20 V drum kit. I had to sell my kit a few years back due to space. Need to find the space and more importantly the cash for a new kit :/
Dom

3rd Jan 10 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not thought about getting a practice kit until space allows? obviously not the same but will allow you do some practice....
Jambo

3rd Jan 10 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I kept my sticks and did keep up with hand technique for a while. I have a small practice pad. Its just no fun

Mate has an electric dsrum kit and they are shocking tbh
Laney

3rd Jan 10 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Both my kits are sat in my parents loft
MarkSport

3rd Jan 10 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom

Mark - have you managed to have a go on any of the leccy kits that are about? I know you seemed interested in the Roland series in the last thread....

Yeah mate,I went down to pmt in birmingham,wasn't too sure on the sound of it if im honest...sounded abit tinny,I'm definately getting one this year so i have it for whenever needed.

shameless plug or not,that drumming is
MarkSport

3rd Jan 10 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the only pic i have of me playing 9 year ago,I have videos somewhere aswell

Dom

3rd Jan 10 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MarkSport
quote:
Originally posted by Dom

Yeah mate,I went down to pmt in birmingham,wasn't too sure on the sound of it if im honest...sounded abit tinny,I'm definately getting one this year so i have it for whenever needed.

shameless plug or not,that drumming is

Yeah the sound modules aren't brilliant, but get yourself a laptop and a decent audio interface (something like an m-box second hand) and then there are a shed load of drum libraries around - currently use >Steven Slate Drums< library (for adding to drum tracks on a mix), isn't cheap but it's absolutely brilliant and sounds spot on.

Yeah, project was to redo a track (from a list selected by the lecturer) and get it as close to the original as possible (used a voicebox etc). It's pretty rough but for second year students it wasn't too bad, although no one (there were a few groups who chose Livin' On a Prayer) managed to get the snare to sound like the original - we tried multi-mic'd gated reverbs (Bowie and Collins used this technique a fair amount) and everything in between, but ended up giving up after we spent a few weeks on it.
MarkSport

3rd Jan 10 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

drumming seemed spot on,vocal was abit like
Dom

3rd Jan 10 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
drumming seemed spot on,vocal was abit like

Wouldn't say spot on, it's a little rough round the edges and timing is a little out especially during fills etc. But it was done in two takes so...
Yeah the vocalist is shoddy, he was alright during the verses etc but when it came to going up another octave his voice started wobbling all over the show. We tried to sort it using AutoTune but that couldn't hack it, so it was all done by hand using the various pitching tools in Nuendo.
Likewise the "robotic" backing vocal is actual another vocalist, recorded about 20/30 times and then pitched to chords - didn't quite come out as we wanted
MarkSport

4th Jan 10 at 00:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fmtkuNjw80

http://www.youtube.com/user/deedlebag#p/u/18/I7eC6VRPjvk

[Edited on 04-01-2010 by MarkSport]
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Jan 10 at 00:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Makes me want one as well but I don't think the neighbours would appreciate it in this flat!
MarkSport

4th Jan 10 at 00:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take it in the pvs van
will_ainsworth

4th Jan 10 at 01:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i miss playing, i sold my roland td6 last year, not the same as a real kit tho! play guitar now tho, think ive posted videos on here before....
Dom

4th Jan 10 at 02:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fmtkuNjw80

http://www.youtube.com/user/deedlebag#p/u/18/I7eC6VRPjvk

[Edited on 04-01-2010 by MarkSport]

The first video looks like it was a few takes especially at the 30 mark, but no doubting his talent, pretty amazing if he's only been playing for 7 years and never had a lesson (although i wonder how much theory knowledge he has...)

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » I want another drum kit 22 database queries in 0.0139229 seconds