corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Cooking thread

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cooking thread
Tom

User status: Offline
13th Jan 10 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm sure a few of you enjoy cooking, me and the missus watch anything food related on tv and like to try new recipes every now and then so I thought i'd make a thread for people to share interesting stuff they've created/how they've done it and pictures of the results I realise this isn't everyones 'bag'!

Unfortunately I don't have any pics of the food I cooked last night because i've only just thought about doing a thread but i'll add pics of new ones.

Last nights tea/dinner (lets not get into a debate about that!):

Baked eggs with chorizo on spicy tomato sauce (taken from bbc website):

Ingedients (per person):

2 eggs
1/2 shallots
1 red chilli
1 clove of garlic
A handful of capers
A few slices of chorizo
Some fresh parsley
Olive oil
A tin of tomatoes
Some sherry vinegar

Dice the shallots, chilli, and garlic finely, cut the chorizo into strips fry it all off in a frying pan for 3 minutes in the olive oil then add the capers and sherry vinegar for a further minute or two. Put the whole lot into a smallish oven proof dish and crack two eggs on the top. Cover it in foil and bake it at 170C for 15-20 minutes (keep an eye on when the white of the egg is cooked).

I served it in the dish it was cooked in, with some ciabatta and it was awesome

RichR
Premium Member

13th Jan 10 at 14:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love cooking anything; I trained as a chef for a few years whilst I was at school/sixth form (basically a glorifed KP) and if the money was better I'd go back to it tomorrow.
C2RL R

13th Jan 10 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i like to try to cook but i'm not very good at it. i hate following recipes that i find on the internet so i usually just make stuff up in my head. most of the things i make turn out very bland. i think with a few pointers i could be a lot better.

that one you posted looks good mate.
Conway563

13th Jan 10 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great idea for a thread

It's not paticuarly adventurous (sp?) but the thing I cook must often is chilli

1 large onion
1 pack beef mince (can't remember size but will check)
1-2 tsps chilli powder (depending on taste)
1 clove garlic
1 tin tomatoes
Tomoto puree (I've never measured out how much I use but would guess 2 tsps)
1 beef oxo cube
1 tin kidney beans
1 tin baked beans
1 red or green pepper

1. Dice onion and fry in a little oil
2. Add mince and fry until brown before draining the fat
3. Add chilli powder and chopped garlic and fry again briefly
4. Add tinned tomotoes, tomato puree, crushed oxo cube and the diced pepper. Stir and leave to simmer for 10 minutes
5. Add strained kidney beans and baked beans and leave to for another 10 minutes, stirring occaisionally

Serve with rice and garlic bread or a jacket potato

[Edited on 13-01-2010 by Conway563]
jungle

13th Jan 10 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mines right now is.... chicken breast wrapped in streeky bacon with creamed mash steamed new pototo's and veg with a small drizzle of chicken gravy love it
AlunJ

13th Jan 10 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by C2RL R
i like to try to cook but i'm not very good at it. i hate following recipes that i find on the internet so i usually just make stuff up in my head. most of the things i make turn out very bland. i think with a few pointers i could be a lot better.

that one you posted looks good mate.

cooking is really about experimentation chuck some random stuff in a pan and go for it any family recipes you could get hold of?
I love cooking but I'm not overly adventurous myself either tbh

[Edited on 13-01-2010 by AlunJ]
C2RL R

13th Jan 10 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no family recipes that i know of. my best mate is 1/2 spanish and he cooks the best paella ever. better than anything i've had in spain if i'm honest. his recipe is a family one and he's supprisingly strict about letting it slip. i've known him 10 years and he's never agreed to teach me it.
a_j_mair

13th Jan 10 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i normally make up some spicy chilly chicken something or other and end up with to many chillies in it

ring sting FTL
RichR
Premium Member

13th Jan 10 at 15:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
no family recipes that i know of. my best mate is 1/2 spanish and he cooks the best paella ever. better than anything i've had in spain if i'm honest. his recipe is a family one and he's supprisingly strict about letting it slip. i've known him 10 years and he's never agreed to teach me it.

My Dad spends a lot of time in Spain and loves Paella so last year treated himself to a proper outdoor paella cooker; His taste better than anything I've had in Spain. We shoudl organise a cook off
Tom

13th Jan 10 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Conway563
Great idea for a thread

1 large onion
1 clove garlic
1 tin tomatoes
1 beef oxo cube
1 tin kidney beans
1 tin baked beans

4. Add tinned tomotoes, tomato puree and crushed oxo cube. Stir and leave to simmer for 10 minutes
5. Add strained kidney beans and baked beans and leave to for another 10 minutes, stirring occaisionally

[Edited on 13-01-2010 by Conway563]

That's close to how I make chilli, apart from I don't use baked beans and use paprika and some red peppers and fresh chillis. Chilli and Spag bol is what I normally cook or steak with home made mushroom sauce
Tom

13th Jan 10 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I love paella, I might try and cook that this weekend although i've failed with rissoto when i tried that (my mum tells me it's all about cutting everything the same size) it ended up to stodgy
C2RL R

13th Jan 10 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it takes a fair while iirc. my mate has this huge paella pan that takes up all 4 rings on the hob! you need to get the ingredients exactly right. chicken on the bone is a must. i'll keep on at him to get the recipe and instructions. he wont tell though the fucker. the most i get is leftovers when i go round for a beer.
Conway563

13th Jan 10 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom
That's close to how I make chilli, apart from I don't use baked beans and use paprika and some red peppers and fresh chillis.

Oh yeah forgot the peppers, but will give the paprika a go
I was sceptical about the baked beans but my mrs conivnced me to add some and it works well
Neo

13th Jan 10 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Conway563
Great idea for a thread

1 large onion
1 clove garlic
1 tin tomatoes
1 beef oxo cube
1 tin kidney beans
1 tin baked beans

4. Add tinned tomotoes, tomato puree and crushed oxo cube. Stir and leave to simmer for 10 minutes

Mines Kinda Similar:

no Baked beans but add paprika, peppers, chilli's and 100g of 70% or More Dark Chocolate (Ussually green and blacks)

1 and a half glasses of a fairly good red (Umani Ronch - Montepulciano d'Abruzzo is my current red of choice and about £6 )

A glass with dinner and a quarter glass of Rubis (Chocolate Ruby Wine) to follow the meal

[Edited on 13-01-2010 by Neo]
Tom

13th Jan 10 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
it takes a fair while iirc. my mate has this huge paella pan that takes up all 4 rings on the hob! you need to get the ingredients exactly right. chicken on the bone is a must. i'll keep on at him to get the recipe and instructions. he wont tell though the fucker. the most i get is leftovers when i go round for a beer.

What a fucker! At least you get to eat it though!
Conway563

13th Jan 10 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Neo

Mines Kinda Similar:

no Baked beans but add paprika, peppers, chilli's and 100g of 70% or More Dark Chocolate (Ussually green and blacks)

1 and a half glasses of a fairly good red (Umani Ronch - Montepulciano d'Abruzzo is my current red of choice and about £6 )

A glass with dinner and a quarter glass of Rubis (Chocolate Ruby Wine) to follow the meal

I've been told to add dark chocolate before but never got round to trying it
Tom

13th Jan 10 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and if you are feeling a bit wedged and have a costco card you should 100% get your steaks from there. My missus got her mum to pick us up some sirloins at the weekend (pack of 4 for £20). They were literally the best steaks by a mile i've bought to cook at home (and tbh compared to getting them from the meat counter at the supermarket probably work out cheaper and better quality). I love mooing sirloin MOOOO

[Edited on 13-01-2010 by Tom]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

13th Jan 10 at 16:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like simple stuff, at home we have the worst kitchen known to man, the sink is about 2 miles away from the cooker which is a gas powered aga with a mind of its own. I try to eat alot of fish and my current favorite is salmon from the freezer, add a touch of olive oil, pepper, squeeze of lemon, crush a garlic on it and then add abit of curry powder all over it, wrapp it up in foil and let that baby cook for 20-30 minutes on whatever the fuck the aga's temp is at the time, BOOM!
dannymccann

13th Jan 10 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lasagna - completely home made

Ingredients to make 2 good size portions of lasagna

200g ish (half a £2 pack from Tesco etc) mince
Tin of chopped tomatoes / pack of cherry tomatoes
1 chopped onion
Half a pack (79p - £1 pack) of chopped mushrooms
Any other veg you want, we use peppers, carrots, all diced quickly
Diced garlic adds tons of flavour
-------------------------------------------
Lasagna sheets
Some grated cheese (whatever flavour you want)
---White Sauce-----
2 heaped tablespoons plain flour
About a pint of milk
Tiny bit of (preferably) olive oil

Chuck the first 4/5ths of the list into the pan, and simmer with the lid on until its at the right thickness of sauce, if its too thick add tiny bits of water, keep stirring it every now and again to mix the flavour together and stop it getting a skin or sticking to the pan. You dont need any oil, the fat that comes out of the mince will be fine

While that is simmering mix the white sauce ingredients in another pan, keep stirring and bring to the boil slowly, you need to keep this moving unless youve got very good non stick pans otherwise it will stick like shit to a baby's blanket and also wont mix and go smooth properly. It will smooth itself out as it comes to the boil but break up any massive bits with your spoon / spatula whatever.

When all the thicknesses are to your liking, empty a thin layer of meaty bit into a dish, put a single layer of pasta sheets until its covered to a certain degree, then pour a thin layer of white sauce over the top, adding a bit of cheese per white sace layer. Do this until you have no mix left. Chuck it in the oven until it goes brown on top (or however you like it, at least 20 mins at 180c for the pasta sheets to cook, if youve put them in raw)

Enjoy Cost is about £3.50
dannymccann

13th Jan 10 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sweet and Sour sauce

Heaped table spoon of cornflour
2 cups of water (only cold water otherwise the cornflour will clump)
3 tablespoons of cheap ketchup (29p Value one will do)
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar / cider vinegar / rice vinegar

Bring all that slowly to the boil then add sugar to taste (you will need at least 2 tablespoons otherwise it will be proper sour!)
dannymccann

13th Jan 10 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Egg fried rice

Proper nice and easy

Ideally you need to use cooked, chilled, dry-ish rice so it doesnt stick

Scramble an egg or 2 (depending on how eggy you want your rice) in the pan until its cooked through completely, make sure its in bits to replicate stuff from a chinese.

Once cooked chuck your rice in with a bit of oil, stir fry it on a high heat keeping it moving otherwise it sticks and clumps together in hard balls, once it is up to temperature add a few dashes of soy sauce and chuck it round the pan coating the rice

Eat, tastes proper nice, and if you do it right tastes better than the chinese stuff
oceansoul

13th Jan 10 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I made a thread a lil while ago similar to this. I try to do cook, only simple things atm really. Some guys came up with some good recipes in my thread.
Tom

14th Jan 10 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by oceansoul
I made a thread a lil while ago similar to this. I try to do cook, only simple things atm really. Some guys came up with some good recipes in my thread.

Sorry, I only looked a few pages back and didn't see it

Some good stuff in here though keep em coming, and anyone who tries any of them let us know how they turn out!
oceansoul

14th Jan 10 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom
quote:

Sorry, I only looked a few pages back and didn't see it

Some good stuff in here though keep em coming, and anyone who tries any of them let us know how they turn out!

Wont find it now. It was 2 or 3 months ago....someone might be able to find it though I should have favourite'ed it tbh
Neo

15th Jan 10 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Wont find it now. It was 2 or 3 months ago....someone might be able to find it though I should have favourite'ed it tbh

http://c20xe.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=523770

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll