corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Test driving a car at a dealership

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Test driving a car at a dealership
jacko198

User status: Offline
21st Jan 10 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, so i am looking at buying a Clio 182 cup in the next couple of months. And ofcorse i would like to drive one before i buy it!

I rang up my insurance company to see if they would do a cover note for me so i could go have a look at some private ones for sale and have ago. But they said i am too young to get one (20 with 2 years ncb) Which is crap as my brother is 18 with 1 years NCB and seems to get them on anything, but nevermind!

So, i am wondering, if i was to go to a main dealership to take a look, would i need to be insured on the car when i drive it, or do they have there own insurance which i would use? to be honest i dont have a clue, so any info would help!

AndyKent

21st Jan 10 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Their insurance would cover you. Might want to send a salesman out with you though.

You'd have to seem very interested in buying one though, if they don't think you're interested they won't bother letting you out in a car.
Ben G

21st Jan 10 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just need a driving license mate.

they have insurance to cover everything.

they may need you to be a certain age though. they wouldn't let me test drive a focus st as you had to be over 25.
Ben G

21st Jan 10 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
Their insurance would cover you. Might want to send a salesman out with you though.

You'd have to seem very interested in buying one though, if they don't think you're interested they won't bother letting you out in a car.

show them the cash and they will bite your hand off
Marc

21st Jan 10 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Renault were snooty with me saying I'd need to get a bank loan first. So I gave my 12k cash to Subaru.
jacko198

21st Jan 10 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats the thing Andy, i am very interested, just not in one from them! I could get on privately for £4500 ish, from a renault garage im looking at £6000+ which is just too much!
Ben G

21st Jan 10 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just go in there with the cash ready, dress smart.

tell them you are interested and then do the test drive.

then say you didn't like the driving position or something and walk away
gavin18787
Premium Member

21st Jan 10 at 20:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went to a dealership with the old man and we were given the keys to a CTR and 182 to go out on our own.

Went to another dealership that had one for a simular price and they wouldnt let us drive it as they didnt think I was serious. So all depends on the place.

Was half tempted to go back to the other place once I had bought my CTR and wave

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
AndyKent

21st Jan 10 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What I meant was don't wander straight in and say you want to drive one in your jeans and hoody

So long as you look fairly respectable and don't give away you won't buy theirs it shouldn't be a problem.
gavin18787
Premium Member

21st Jan 10 at 20:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye I just turned up in a polo smart jeans and shoes

Neo

21st Jan 10 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol I love asking to test drive something, I either get a look of No or they wander if i'm being serious.

I remember my cousin being very similar, he walked into a Jag garage wearing baseball hat and wripped jeans and asked to test drive a new XK and they asked him to leave. So he walked out without saying anything, got in his Cobra and drove off
gavin18787
Premium Member

21st Jan 10 at 21:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would love to go into a ferrari dealership looking simlar if I won the lottery. Get sent out and then say "wont be wanting this then" whilst waving cash

nathy_87

21st Jan 10 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've test driven 2 cars form dealerships, had to give them my car keys both times, and on neither times did they come with me.
AndyKent

21st Jan 10 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You had to give them your car keys

If they asked for mine I'd tell them where to stick their car. They have insurance, they don't need to be taking collateral
AlunJ

21st Jan 10 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went into a dealers when I was 17 and they let me test drive two astra sport hatches 1.8 and 1.7cdti no problems - but they did come with me obviously.
nathy_87

21st Jan 10 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
You had to give them your car keys

If they asked for mine I'd tell them where to stick their car. They have insurance, they don't need to be taking collateral

Yeah

Thought it would be like if i tried to steal their car.
antnee

21st Jan 10 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I was thinking about getting a Focus, I went up to the dealership, found the one I was looking for, got a test drive in 5mins Didn't like it though.
Shell
Premium Member

21st Jan 10 at 22:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a sales man actually encourage me to test drive a car, even though I didn't want to and said I was worried I'd crash it. He then went on to say "oh you'd be insured, doesn't matter if you mash the thing. Drive as wild as you like". I kid you not.
Ben G

21st Jan 10 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he wanted you.
Shell
Premium Member

21st Jan 10 at 22:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Eck was with me, so I highly doubt it was that
Ben G

21st Jan 10 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

he wanted eck.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

21st Jan 10 at 22:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

threesome

eck had planned it
Shell
Premium Member

21st Jan 10 at 22:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought they were giving each other the eye, right enough.
JayCarr

21st Jan 10 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wanted to test drive a VW Passat and they wouldn't even let me drive it unless i agreed to the price they offered me trade in for my car I told them i could buy the car now without even selling my car and just walked out the showroom.

Me and my mate went to a garage to blag a test drive in an M3 CSL. Turned up in his 335d, told him we wanted to test drive it. He had no problems, came out with us and was urging him to give it some, next thing we're doing 130 down the M11 with the salesman going "goes well doesn't it" Got back to the showroom and said he'd think about it. Never went back. That thing was insane.
Colin

21st Jan 10 at 23:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had to sit down & talk terms on the M3 before they would let me drive it. Then again I did turn up in old work gear & a uncared for looing golf

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Test driving a car at a dealership 23 database queries in 0.0139291 seconds