corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Anyone take out loans on Cars?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone take out loans on Cars?
Bart

User status: Offline
22nd Jan 10 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im considering a new car and dont have much spare cash around (this is being thrown towards our unborn child at the moment!).

Ive been considering a loan, but never really looked at it properly.
Ive spoken to a friend last night who took out a reasonable loan, and when hes ready to get a new car, simply sells it and extends the loan.

Out of curiousty, does anyone else do this? How long do people spread the loan out over?
IVe shopped around, got monthly payments down to £110 by speading a loan of 10k over 12 years, but thats a long time

Any info or advice from experience would be good.
KingDoug

22nd Jan 10 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not tried taking out finance?
x14xe sport

22nd Jan 10 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

12 yrs, fuck that, you'l seriously regret that after a yr, i took out a loan for a van but only over 2yrs, often cheaper than fiance
Matt H

22nd Jan 10 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

12 years
Tom G

22nd Jan 10 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
Im considering a new car and dont have much spare cash around (this is being thrown towards our unborn child at the moment!).

Ive been considering a loan, but never really looked at it properly.
Ive spoken to a friend last night who took out a reasonable loan, and when hes ready to get a new car, simply sells it and extends the loan.

Out of curiousty, does anyone else do this? How long do people spread the loan out over?
IVe shopped around, got monthly payments down to £110 by speading a loan of 10k over 12 years, but thats a long time

Any info or advice from experience would be good.

I got just under 8K of finance spread over 5 yrs for my car, not to bad as i can manage the monthly payments etc but that includes like loads of interest
Eck
Premium Member

22nd Jan 10 at 17:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'd have to be a raving lunatic to take a loan over 12 years. Paying back more than £3k on interest Why not get a cheaper car on finance?
Ellis

22nd Jan 10 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Borrowed money from Father for my new car, should be paid off in about 9 months...
Dave86

22nd Jan 10 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got a 10k loan, to pay off a car i sold few months ago, and with the rest i bought another car, payin back over 4 yrs, but ive got spare couple of grand to pay back into it, so should be down to almost 3 years.
Ian W

22nd Jan 10 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had one but only over 3 years, 12 is just mental, even if you bought a brand spanker it would be an old car by the time the loans finished.
jaffa

22nd Jan 10 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I got the astra I took out a loan. Was unsure but the gti was costing me more to keep on the raod than the interest on the loan

took out 4.5k over 5yrs. Monthly payments were managable and managed put more away per month so I paid the loan off early.

As mentioned why not a smaller loan over a shorter period?
Tiesto

22nd Jan 10 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I took out 14k over 5 years. Now got 1 1/2 yrs left.

Won't be doing that again in a hurry.

But then you only live once and wanted a nice car so thought why not! Comfortably afford repayments anyway.

[Edited on 22-01-2010 by Tiesto]
DizzyRebel

22nd Jan 10 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Once and never again. I see no point in taking finance out on a luxury item.
Colin

22nd Jan 10 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

12years,,,,,,,,,,,,,,behave yourself

Nothing wrong with finance so long as you'll not miss the money coming out your account each month.

Ive had finance a few times now & the best thing to do is to stick down at least 50% of the cars value & borrow the rest. If you cant do that the i'd give it a miss for the obvious reasons.

My next car will be on finance as well, for the single reason that it would take far too long to save the cash.
ed

22nd Jan 10 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you need a twelve year loan you can't afford it.
John

22nd Jan 10 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You don't need to go as high as 50%, a siezable deposit (probably at least 25%) and over 3 years means the car (in 99% of cases) will always be worth more than the finance you owe so if you have to sell you can pay the finance.
Colin

22nd Jan 10 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I took mine over 4yrs, i'll sell it after 2 & walk away with the cash I put down in my pocket & the rest of the finance paid off, having paid the depreciation. Then start over again!!
Colin

22nd Jan 10 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
You don't need to go as high as 50%, a siezable deposit (probably at least 25%) and over 3 years means the car (in 99% of cases) will always be worth more than the finance you owe so if you have to sell you can pay the finance.

Depends on how much its worth after the 3yrs & whether you keep it that long.

50% in on a car thats done its hard depreciating & will still be worth a few quid once your done with it playing a safe hand...............to me anyway
John

22nd Jan 10 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm talking about newer stuff as well tbh, maybe 18 months old max, things will probably be different with older cars.
Colin

22nd Jan 10 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well ive never bought new or nearly new. Think the newest car ive ever bought is 4yrs old. Loose too much on new motors!!
John

22nd Jan 10 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unless you buy either pre reg or ~ a year old.
Colin

22nd Jan 10 at 19:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well yeah again in most cases.

I couldnt afford a pre reg or yr old M3 though Which is what im buying again next. I hope to get a 07 or possibly an 08 about this time next year for around 30k. I need to save up another 5k before I can do it. I think thats achievable!!
John

22nd Jan 10 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

See, I couldn't bring myself to pay 30k for a 4 or 5 year old car
Mase
Premium Member

22nd Jan 10 at 19:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had 13k over 4 years for the Focus, I'm planning on doing the same as Colin, keep for two years, get shot, pay the rest of the loan off and start again.... No way would I consider 12 years, i didn't even know they did such a long term!

Mase
Colin

22nd Jan 10 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
See, I couldn't bring myself to pay 30k for a 4 or 5 year old car

3-4yr old & around half of the price when new, safe in the knowledge its certainly not going to loose anywhere near another 25-30k during my ownership? Tempting no?

I couldnt bring myself to pay big money for a new car, knowing its going to be worth half by the time im done with it!! But im glad there are people that see value from it though otherwise I wouldnt get many used bargains to choose from!!
Bart

22nd Jan 10 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
If you need a twelve year loan you can't afford it.

Indeed.

We are looking to get our mortgage down in the next week or so, but in general, we have quite a large mortgage (£1k a month), still paying for our wedding (16 weeks ago) and now have a little nipper on the way (21 weeks pregenant).

The wife has an Audi TT and I have a 3 series bmw (2dr), both cars are very inpractical.
Looking around auto trader, you can get a nice A4/A4 S Line 2.0L 4 door for around the 10k mark (with 50k milage or less).
That would mean a much smaller loan than I originally thought.

£6k loan over 4 years @ £147 a month aint too bad is it?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Anyone take out loans on Cars? 23 database queries in 0.0164161 seconds