corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Going to look at this Astra tomorrrow...any good?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Going to look at this Astra tomorrrow...any good?
A2H GO

User status: Offline
30th Jan 10 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So ive sold my Cooper S and looking for something more 'economical' so going to view this Astra 1.9 CDTi:

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/cars_popup.jsp?did=102232&pageid=1&originalid=&gid=nogroup&tid=2&start=4&distance=0&adcategory=cars&channel=DEALERPAGE&id=201004351310355

I have cash so may be able to negoatiate on the price, is there anything i should look out for, it does seem well priced in the current market(but i may be wrong), good choice? Only plan to remap it.

Jay

30th Jan 10 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Prefer the 5 door in these
A2H GO

30th Jan 10 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JayM
Prefer the 5 door in these

I'm only 23, no plans for kids yet
dannymccann

30th Jan 10 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From memory thats a good price, excellent cars by all accounts, what I want next after my mk4 2.0DTi

I would say with cash you would easy knock 10 - 15% off the price???
A2H GO

30th Jan 10 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
From memory thats a good price, excellent cars by all accounts, what I want next after my mk4 2.0DTi

I would say with cash you would easy knock 10 - 15% off the price???

Was going to offer £6,700, would you say to try less?
am4nf

30th Jan 10 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Be very bold, ask how much they got it for and if he tells you offer a few hundred above that
dannymccann

30th Jan 10 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definetly with cash, you are the perfect customer for them, they will probably bend over backwards to have £6k+ on the premises the same day.

At least get a decent warranty and service package thrown in, and any minor defect point it out as a reason to get that price down. Obviously this is a garage so they acquired this car for a fair whack less than what they are selling it at!
A2H GO

30th Jan 10 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interesting stuff guys cheers. Supose ill just have to be a bit cheeky and put a low offer in and go from there. I would be surprised if they tell me what they bought it in for, or at least tell me the truth about what they bought it in for
deano87

30th Jan 10 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been modified i.e. the front grill, which could indicate a rather 'enthusiastic' driver. Make sure it isn't smoking like a good'un on start up etc.
Corsa_Sport21

30th Jan 10 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
Been modified i.e. the front grill, which could indicate a rather 'enthusiastic' driver. Make sure it isn't smoking like a good'un on start up etc.

TBH thats a load of pish.A front grille wouldnt make the driver think that the car is going to be any quicker.
Ive seen plenty Astra's and Vectra's driven by old men,with different styling parts etc.

You cant tar every1 with the same brush.
A2H GO

30th Jan 10 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Called, hes closed tomorrow, so going on monday, he says hes just refreshed the advert today and im the 11th person to call. Cant see there being much in the way of a discount on the price.
shane_o

30th Jan 10 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its more modified than that, its lowered and has different dash bulbs at least in it, they are very good cars if i had the money id deffo take a look at that, do the cam belt and water pump as soon as you get it, the water pumps break up as do the pullys on the cam belt replaced a few engines now for that, there is loads to look for on them but do a search on aoc will give you a better idea
A2H GO

30th Jan 10 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by shane_o
its more modified than that, its lowered and has different dash bulbs at least in it, they are very good cars if i had the money id deffo take a look at that, do the cam belt and water pump as soon as you get it, the water pumps break up as do the pullys on the cam belt replaced a few engines now for that, there is loads to look for on them but do a search on aoc will give you a better idea

Is the cam belt/water pump an expensive job on these? I remember paying £600+ for my Clio 182. Is it due then at 55k/5 years?
shane_o

30th Jan 10 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no where near that much mate i would deffintly use genuine parts though, no its not due yet the official interval is 10 years or 100k but i have replaced 2 engines so far this year and many more last year for the pullys breaking up. just thought id let you know
A2H GO

30th Jan 10 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by shane_o
no where near that much mate i would deffintly use genuine parts though, no its not due yet the official interval is 10 years or 100k but i have replaced 2 engines so far this year and many more last year for the pullys breaking up. just thought id let you know

Cheers dude
corsa_godfather

30th Jan 10 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i would get a 57 onward one.facelift.

fixed all the faults. swirl flaps,flywheel etc
corsa_godfather

30th Jan 10 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

most garages usually put a grand on the car im sure
A2H GO

30th Jan 10 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa_godfather
i would get a 57 onward one.facelift.

fixed all the faults. swirl flaps,flywheel etc

They got for a lot more money though, my budget is £7.5k.
A2H GO

30th Jan 10 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually, wtf are swirlflaps?
corsa_godfather

30th Jan 10 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think you would get one for 7.5k. not out a garage though.

Swirl flaps are the same as the trottle body set up on petrol engine. except it 4 flaps linked together and the diesel soot clogs them up and breaks the linkage resulting in a whole new inlet manifold.
corsa_godfather

30th Jan 10 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

although alot of them were fixed under warranty.just check when you go see the car when you engage gear if you hear a rattle from the engine that goes away when you put it back in gear and release the clutch thats early signs of flywheel failure apparently
A2H GO

30th Jan 10 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ideally then i would look to make sure these things have already been done under warrenty and if not try and negotiate some sort of warrenty with the dealer.

So know what to look for with the flywheel, are there any tell tale signs of swirlflap failure?

Inlet manifold doesnt seem too expensive to replace?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUX-ZAFIRA-%2F-ASTRA-%2F-VECTRA-1.9-CDTi-INLET-MANIFOLD-_W0QQitemZ270521916070QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20100128?IMSfp=TL100128172001r26131

[Edited on 30-01-2010 by CorsAsh-Sport]
am4nf

30th Jan 10 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa_godfather
think you would get one for 7.5k. not out a garage though.

Swirl flaps are the same as the trottle body set up on petrol engine. except it 4 flaps linked together and the diesel soot clogs them up and breaks the linkage resulting in a whole new inlet manifold.

What would the result of the above be?

Car struggling to start?
p93sco

30th Jan 10 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the result would be the eml would be on, car would run pretty shit, and if i mind right it wont boost properly

[Edited on 30-01-2010 by p93sco]
A2H GO

31st Jan 10 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Went to have a look at it this afternoon, looked stunning in real life When i asked a few more questions about the car, such as, is there any SH, he said he has not recieved the details in yet, and there were no reciepts/warrenty work papers, also i would have been the 6th owner and the car is only 5 years old.

Engine seemed sweet as a nut but when i popped the bonnet it didnt sit level and had big creases in it that could be seen at certian angles and had definately been painted. This prompted closer inspection and i found one of the headlights had been glued back together and didnt fit flush and there was signs of damage/creases/flaking paint to the inside of the wing and chassis. Definatley accident repaired, the guy said he didnt know and thanked me for pointing this out to him

I ended up walking away. Cant seem to see any other examples worth looking at, maybe this is why it was 'cheaper'.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Going to look at this Astra tomorrrow...any good? 22 database queries in 0.0401042 seconds