corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Van stolen from Farnworth, Bolton.. spotted in Hindley - advice needed

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Van stolen from Farnworth, Bolton.. spotted in Hindley - advice needed
stubs

User status: Offline
11th Feb 10 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok, first off, this isn't my van so please no comments about how stupid or shouldn't have done that.... blah blah blah

My next door neighbour has recently been having problems with his van (mostly battery related) and on Tuesday evening called out the AA who came to start it for him. The AA guy told him to try and run the van for a while to give it some charge else it wouldn't start again. My neighbour went to pick up some pizza's from Farnworth and stupidly left the van running with the keys in it un-attended & un-locked. As would be expected, he saw someone jump in and drive off in it as he was coming out of the shop.

He reported the incident to the police, but not yet to his insurance as he understands that his claim would be invalidated by the fact he's left the keys in it. He then recieved a call from the police the next day (yesterday) saying that they had found the van parked up in Hindley (about 30 mins from Farnworth).. They had checked the van over and reported no sign of damage. They gave him 2 options; either have it recovered by them at cost to him, or for him to go and collect it. He decided he would go straight over to get the van himself, but less than 1 hour after getting the call he got there to find the van was gone and the police weren't present. He called them to ask where the van was... had they recovered it? etc.. and they said it must have been stolen again!!

The police can't tell if the van was stolen forcefully this time, or if it was taken with the keys from when it was 1st taken. Needless to say he isn't happy, and wants to know if he can now claim through his insurance, or if he'd have any sort of case against the police after they left it without being recovered either by a company or by the owner.

Anyone know how he'd stand up with this?
Dan.H

11th Feb 10 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont think he can claim against the police as they have no obligation to babysit his vehicle if he has told them he will recover it himself
stubs

11th Feb 10 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by danh785
Dont think he can claim against the police as they have no obligation to babysit his vehicle if he has told them he will recover it himself

In that case, shouldn't they have insisted that they would recover it?
He does board-ups for a living, and he said that when the police were called to a building that had been broken into, they were not allowed to leave until it had been secured - would the same not apply?
Dan.H

11th Feb 10 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The vehicle was secure though as no locks were damaged or windows smashed
taylorboosh

11th Feb 10 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im guessing who ever stole it came back for it
DaveB

11th Feb 10 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No way he can claim against the police. If he said he was going to recover it then that's that.
He'll have to wait till it turns up again. At least he knows a good pizza shop to get some grub from while he's waiting.
a_j_mair

11th Feb 10 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john-d
stubs

11th Feb 10 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The vehicle was secure though as no locks were damaged or windows smashed

The police knew it had been taken with the keys... would you consider your vehicle "secure" if you knew someone had the keys and knew where it was?
They found his vehicle, but failed to see it returned to him.
The vehicle has now been stolen after it was parked up locked - the theft has now been conducted using a stolen set of keys... is he insured against that?

Either way.. I'm not after opinions, I'm looking for legal facts - if anyone knows?
Does he have a leg to stand on either with the police, or with his insurance?
stubs

11th Feb 10 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by a_j_mair
quote:

Did you have to work together to come to that conclusion, or did you google it?
Dan.H

11th Feb 10 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He has no claim as its his fault leaving the keys in the car so his insurance will be void
GF-91
Banned

11th Feb 10 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
He has no claim as its his fault leaving the keys in the car so his insurance will be void

This.

Unless he makes up a crazed story about how he was raped in the pizza shop and they took his keys. Or something like that.

Is the van worth going to the insurance about? If not, leave it, be fine; if it's worth it, tough shit.
Twiggy

11th Feb 10 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who has the keys on the 2nd theft? Did the police not lock it up?
a_j_mair

11th Feb 10 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stubs
quote:
quote:

yes we often are called sharky and george TBH

it wasnt really stolen again then was it? someone nicked it, parked it up and locked it when they were at the shop say then got back in and on there way.

C2RL R

11th Feb 10 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did the pizza shop not deliver?
Welsh Dan

11th Feb 10 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its not the Police's fault and his insurance will still be invalid. I'd guess at his stage, his insurance won't be happy about the fact that it hasn't been reported to them either should he wish to claim in future.

Anyway. When a car is stolen and the Police informed, the owner can state that if it is found, that the Police will recover it automatically.

People sometimes opt out of this, for instance if they don't wish to have it recovered and would rather not involve insurance. In these circumstances, the Police will contact the owner and ask them whether they want it recovered to a safe place, or whether the owner will come down and pick it up.

We're not a babysitting service, so whilst we might wait around for a few minutes, we aren't going to sit on it for hours.
taylorboosh

11th Feb 10 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

no you sugested that the car had been stolen from your friend a second time when infact your friend didnt have the car back for it to be taken from him. some one locked the car, went somewhere, police found it, your pal was too tight to pay recovery, police arent there to babysit his car, who ever took it in the first place opened it with the keys your stupid mate left in it and drove away again.....

we didnt work together to figure out what happened, its common sence and is obvious to almost every one but you mate
stubs

11th Feb 10 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

no you sugested that the car had been stolen from your friend a second time when infact your friend didnt have the car back for it to be taken from him. some one locked the car, went somewhere, police found it, your pal was too tight to pay recovery, police arent there to babysit his car, who ever took it in the first place opened it with the keys your stupid mate left in it and drove away again.....

we didnt work together to figure out what happened, its common sence and is obvious to almost every one but you mate

Lets get things straight; I didn't suggest the van (not car) had been stolen a second time... that's what the police told my neighbour (not friend or pal). My neighbour is an idiot and even he realises it's most likely to have been taken by the same people, using his keys. The police however will not confirm this as they have no evidence. Have another read of my 1st post and have a little think

Why do people feel the need to call him an idiot / stupid? In my 1st post I asked you not to bother... personally I think he's a right nobber for leaving it running and unlocked. The fucking thing's been leaking diesel up and down our street for the last few months and I'm actually glad to see the back of it ready for summer and when I start using my bike again. I've already told him exactly what I think, and I offered to put a match to his driveway and he could follow the trail.

But that's beside the point, I'm simply doing as he politely asked and trying to ask for a little advice before he gives up all hope.
stubs

11th Feb 10 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Welsh Dan
Its not the Police's fault and his insurance will still be invalid. I'd guess at his stage, his insurance won't be happy about the fact that it hasn't been reported to them either should he wish to claim in future.

Anyway. When a car is stolen and the Police informed, the owner can state that if it is found, that the Police will recover it automatically.

People sometimes opt out of this, for instance if they don't wish to have it recovered and would rather not involve insurance. In these circumstances, the Police will contact the owner and ask them whether they want it recovered to a safe place, or whether the owner will come down and pick it up.

We're not a babysitting service, so whilst we might wait around for a few minutes, we aren't going to sit on it for hours.

I take it your an officer?
I've already told him to contact his insurance, even if he's not able to make a claim I'd imagine he should cancel the policy if his van isn't found again. I've not seen him today so don't know if he's bothered yet.
taylorboosh

11th Feb 10 at 21:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

But that's beside the point, I'm simply doing as he politely asked and trying to ask for a little advice before he gives up all hope.

advice as follows mate: diesel doesnt ignite with a naked flame so your match would go out

also: i dont think he will be covered, if they find it again get it towed

[Edited on 11-02-2010 by john-d]
stubs

11th Feb 10 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not your mate either.. what is it you like so much about that word?

I know it won't ignite with a naked flame, I said it in jest... bear in mind he's the idiot and might believe it would work.
taylorboosh

11th Feb 10 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we northerners call every1 mate because we arent cunts
stubs

11th Feb 10 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm a northerner too.. I think you need to start reading properly.
taylorboosh

11th Feb 10 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bolton is not in the north tbf its just past midway near manchester
taylorboosh

11th Feb 10 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your like 118 miles from the border so really your just top half not north imo
Welsh Dan

11th Feb 10 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I take it your an officer?
I've already told him to contact his insurance, even if he's not able to make a claim I'd imagine he should cancel the policy if his van isn't found again. I've not seen him today so don't know if he's bothered yet.

Yeah. This is the way that my force works, can't guarantee that its the same for all.

I had the same situation with a stolen moped. Phoned the owner and told him to come and get it. By time he got there, it had gone. We went back a few hours later and found it again and sat on it for 20 minutes to give the owner another chance to get it back.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Van stolen from Farnworth, Bolton.. spotted in Hindley - advice needed 22 database queries in 0.1588140 seconds