corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » spunky stuff on dipstick and oil cap

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author spunky stuff on dipstick and oil cap
M055360

User status: Offline
2nd Mar 10 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

went to check oil levels and there was this spunky/mayo type stuff on the diptick and a bit on the inside of the oil cap.

signs of possible head gasket?

scottyp1989

2nd Mar 10 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

possibly does the car only do short journeys? could just be condensation if it does
dalejones

2nd Mar 10 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if alot of it its most aprobs water leakin through the head into the oil so ul need to replace the head gasket
Root

2nd Mar 10 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if it's on the dipstick, this is definite cause for concern as it won't be just condensation, you should think about changing the head gasket asap before it does any damage.
M055360

2nd Mar 10 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah mainly do short journeys like 4 miles, no other signs like overheating or anything.
just pranging out about the cost if it does go
Root

2nd Mar 10 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by M055360
yeah mainly do short journeys like 4 miles, no other signs like overheating or anything.
just pranging out about the cost if it does go

rather be safe than sorry, replace the head gasket, it's not a hard job to just replace that. Piece of piss tbh mate, just get on the head bolts with a socket set, replace a £12 gasket, new head bolts, £14, then you can drive your car without worrying about it
Root

2nd Mar 10 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh though mate, even if do short journeys, i used to pizza deliver, turning the engine off and on all the time, so that's short journeys for ya, and i live in a town so i don't drive for long or very far, but I've NEVER EVER seen mayo on the dipstick, I have on the oil cap, which can mean condensation.

my rules are:

-mayo on the filler cap is no problem.
-THICK mayo on the filler cap is a problem.
-ANY mayo on the dipstick is a problem.

that's me personally though, but I'd replace the gasket for the sake of £26. Else you may have to replace a lot more than a gasket in time to come.
Terry12

2nd Mar 10 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you losing any water?
M055360

2nd Mar 10 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not losing any water atm, but i'll defs replace the gasket and bolts as had a mate who's head gasket went cost a bomb to fix
Terry12

2nd Mar 10 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does your oil smell sweet?
deano87

2nd Mar 10 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it's on both, I'd say it's headgasket going on the scares I had.

My condensation was really bad on the 12v, but only under the oil cap, not dipstick as well.
AlexW

2nd Mar 10 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Root
tbh though mate, even if do short journeys, i used to pizza deliver, turning the engine off and on all the time, so that's short journeys for ya, and i live in a town so i don't drive for long or very far, but I've NEVER EVER seen mayo on the dipstick, I have on the oil cap, which can mean condensation.

my rules are:

that's me personally though, but I'd replace the gasket for the sake of £26. Else you may have to replace a lot more than a gasket in time to come.

Depends on the engine, and when the cambelt was changed, Cambelt change is well worth as you have to untention and retention the belt, which can cause it to snap. And if its a 16v the belt kit (Inc water pump as its stupid to not replace it) comes to near enough £100.

Head skim is £30 too if it needs it.
Root

2nd Mar 10 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AW06
quote:

my rules are:

Depends on the engine, and when the cambelt was changed, Cambelt change is well worth as you have to untention and retention the belt, which can cause it to snap. And if its a 16v the belt kit (Inc water pump as its stupid to not replace it) comes to near enough £100.

Head skim is £30 too if it needs it.

well if the belt is old enough to potentially snap when he re-tensions it then it needs replacing anyway as it'll snap soon. And head won't need a skim if it's running okay now without one.
scottyp1989

2nd Mar 10 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i used to get mayo on dipstic and filler cap and was just condensation, take it on a couple of good runs first to just rule out the condensation if anything, if its still there its more than likely HG
barney1.6sport

2nd Mar 10 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the amount of people that come into my garage and have this mayo shit on the dipstick and filler cap... half the time its always because of short journeys.
if ur not gna get it properly checked out, then id probz replace the oil and filter, clean up the mess as much as u can, and let the engine warm up properly every time u use it. that'l be the best and cheapest option. its obv not head gasket if ur not losing water. if it gets worst then dont just replace the head gasket, have it chekd out 1st.
M055360

2nd Mar 10 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cambelt was done about a year ago and hardly do much mileage a year.
its a 1.6 16v, so its just a case of changing the gaskets and head bolts then before it goes nothing else involved?
Root

2nd Mar 10 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i always run short journeys, i drive my car to the corner shop, i'm a very lazy person and i drive everywhere, no matter what the distance, i have never had mayo on the dipstick, not even slightly. If I got any, I'd be very concerned and change the head gasket just in case barney.
barneykarl

2nd Mar 10 at 23:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just change the oil/filter for now and keep an eye on coolant level if that stays ok then just give the car a good blast once a week. use a semi synth 15/40 oil.
Terry12

3rd Mar 10 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i always run short journeys, i drive my car to the corner shop, i'm a very lazy person and i drive everywhere, no matter what the distance, i have never had mayo on the dipstick, not even slightly. If I got any, I'd be very concerned and change the head gasket just in case barney.

Why would you do this? If it isn't losing any coolant then where is the water coming from? Condensation.
I've had it on a few engines, I use an engine flush and change the oil and filter.
Root

3rd Mar 10 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Terry12
quote:

Why would you do this? If it isn't losing any coolant then where is the water coming from? Condensation.
I've had it on a few engines, I use an engine flush and change the oil and filter.

the only condensation i've ever had is a thin layer on the filler cap, you shouldn't get condensation in the sump.
scottyp1989

3rd Mar 10 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but you can get it in the sump, it can depend more on what condition ground you park it on aswell but like it has been said already, do oil/filter change and take the car on a decent run. no point changin head gasket if there is no guarantees its that
dean101287

3rd Mar 10 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

the only condensation i've ever had is a thin layer on the filler cap, you shouldn't get condensation in the sump.

So because you have never had it it means it doesnt exist? Jog on

As said, do the cheap fixes first and if it continues seek professional advice, not some numpty off the internet telling you to do what is a rather pain in the arse and quite expensive (when done properly) job.
Root

3rd Mar 10 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dean101287
quote:
quote:
quote:

So because you have never had it it means it doesnt exist? Jog on

As said, do the cheap fixes first and if it continues seek professional advice, not some numpty off the internet telling you to do what is a rather pain in the arse and quite expensive (when done properly) job.

no i didn't say that, i said you SHOULDN'T be getting condensation in the sump. jog on
dean101287

3rd Mar 10 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So lets tell him to change the head gasket just in case isit? Why doesn't he chage the piston rings just incase aswell?

Back to the topic...Do whats said above and change the oil/filter and take it for a good run and monitor oil/water levels.
Ant B

3rd Mar 10 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i also have really bad mayo stuff on my oil cap but not on the dipstick.and my coolent level hasnt got down so i dont worry about it

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll