corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Why do "detailers" take paint depth measurements?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Why do "detailers" take paint depth measurements?
DaveyLC

User status: Offline
23rd Mar 10 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This has always confused me? I assume the idea is so you can guage how mad you can go with the machine polisher *but* they have no idea how much of that thickness is made up in Zinc, Primer, Base and Clear coat so what good is the information?

The clear coat might be thin as hell but the base coat really thick so the reading will be high but in reality the clear coat wouldnt be up to much of a machine polishing session?

Call me contraversial but I think its all just a gimmick.

[Edited on 23-03-2010 by DaveyLC]
jibjob

23rd Mar 10 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IIRC it gives you the depths of each layer. So you can tell how thick the clear coat is, base, primer, zinc. Then you work out how mad you can go without going too thinly on the top coat and exposing the base colours.
DaveyLC

23rd Mar 10 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd be interested to hear how it distinguishes between layers
jibjob

23rd Mar 10 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you not seen how they x-ray painted pictures to reveal the different layers? Im assuming it works off a similar principal.
DaveyLC

23rd Mar 10 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh its a pocket Xray machine now.. It gets better
Nic Barnes

23rd Mar 10 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what is the benefit? Who can tell there are areas with slightly thicker paint on by looking? I am asking by the way as i can not tell so always wondered why people make such a fuss.
jibjob

23rd Mar 10 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No but i assume that it will work off a similar principal as it will put some sort of depth reader/laser/type thing through the paint until it hits the metal and it will work off how the reading bounces back off each layer to figure out the depths.
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Mar 10 at 10:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
what is the benefit? Who can tell there are areas with slightly thicker paint on by looking? I am asking by the way as i can not tell so always wondered why people make such a fuss.

to stop the polisher going through and exposing primer or metal
DaveyLC

23rd Mar 10 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But the layers of primer, base and clear are basically the same chemical make up.
DaveyLC

23rd Mar 10 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
quote:

to stop the polisher going through and exposing primer or metal

But from what I've seen it just shows you the thickness of everything above the metal which is next to useless information as you have no idea how much of that is clear coat!

if it was showing you different actually layers why would they need a seperate tool for doing plastics? surely it would show you:

CLEAR COAT
BASE COAT
PRIMER
ANTI COROSSION
PLASTIC/METAL

alan-g-w

23rd Mar 10 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely for it to measure the depth of clearcoat it would just be a case of the machine measuring how much of a 'gap' (made up of clear, see through laquer) there is between the probe and solid paint.

I find it amusing that you pretty much admit that you don't know what you're talking about but are so quick to call it a gimmick. I'm definetely not one of these sorts of people, bucket and sponge for me is fine. But these machines you're talking about cost £3k - that's some price to pay to show off to some geeks on a forum.

[Edited on 23-03-2010 by alan-g-w]
jibjob

23rd Mar 10 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Im guessing its only for machine polishing and a perfect flat finish. It'll be so you know how deep you can go to remove swirls and scratches. Also i remember reading somewhere that if you make all the paint reading the same by machine polishing it makes the paint look perfectly flat and gives a better finish. I may be wrong about that though. Its only detailing though and not general washing of your car. But if i had a £100k car id want to know its perfect
Nic Barnes

23rd Mar 10 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so they do it to stop going too far? So i assume they re check it constantly while polishing? Edited. Bloody phone put pump instead of stop. Great reading that made.

[Edited on 23-03-2010 by Nic Barnes]
DaveyLC

23rd Mar 10 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
Surely for it to measure the depth of clearcoat it would just be a case of the machine measuring how much of a 'gap' (made up of clear, see through laquer) there is between the probe and solid paint.

I find it amusing that you pretty much admit that you don't know what you're talking about but are so quick to call it a gimmick. I'm definetely not one of these sorts of people, bucket and sponge for me is fine. But these machines you're talking about cost £3k - that's som eprice to pay to show off to some geeks on a forum.

[Edited on 23-03-2010 by alan-g-w]

If it just measures clear coat that would be good, but if that was the case why would there be a different tool for measuring paint thickness on plastic/composites?
jibjob

23rd Mar 10 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.paintdetective.com/why_use_a_paint_gauge.html

tells you everything you need to know
DaveyLC

23rd Mar 10 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
so they do it to pump going too far? So i assume they re check it constantly while polishing?

Course not Nic, these guys can tell how many Microns they have polished away just by feel alone
DaveyLC

23rd Mar 10 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jibjob
http://www.paintdetective.com/why_use_a_paint_gauge.html

tells you everything you need to know

Even that site is basically saying it just measure EVERYTHING on top of the metal.. So what is the point?
alan-g-w

23rd Mar 10 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not got a clue. But there must be some sort of method in the madness.
DaveyLC

23rd Mar 10 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
I've not got a clue. But there must be some sort of method in the madness.

Yeah it "looks impressive", its called a pant lubricator; i.e. it makes potential customers pants easier to pull down.
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Mar 10 at 11:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i can see how it would help with solid colours that dont have a clear coat on them, but not sure how it helps protect paint with several layers of paint and clearcoat
DaveyLC

23rd Mar 10 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
i can see how it would help with solid colours that dont have a clear coat on them, but not sure how it helps protect paint with several layers of paint and clearcoat

Even solid colours have primer and anti-corossion treatment though.. And ALL modern cars (since the mid/late 90's) have clear coat due to the EU VOC regs.
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Mar 10 at 11:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep im not really a fan of all this detailing malarky anyway, a good clean and polish is where it stops with me
jibjob

23rd Mar 10 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its probably just worth dropping Rich H or Blukoo a u2u and asking them as they could give you the reason they do it and what the machine actually does and how it does it.
Nic Barnes

23rd Mar 10 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so if they dont constantly check it while polishing what is the point? Also what i would like to know is about the depth they work to. It will have to be the thinest point in the paint to make it all even. Now surely this leaves less left to work with if at a later date damage or scratches appear? Would this mean that cars done to paint depths are more likely to need paintwork? Which in turn would need polished to matched depth again?
DaveyLC

23rd Mar 10 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jibjob
Its probably just worth dropping Rich H or Blukoo a u2u and asking them as they could give you the reason they do it and what the machine actually does and how it does it.

While I'm at it shall I email Lambert and Butler and ask them what the benefits of smoking are?

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Why do "detailers" take paint depth measurements? 22 database queries in 0.0119538 seconds