corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Handing in your notice... whats the best way?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Handing in your notice... whats the best way?
Paul_J

User status: Offline
24th Mar 10 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Long story short, I'm thinking in the next few months, I will be handing my notice in at my current employer and moving on.

The problem is, I want to be able to leave, without them either:

A ) Begging me to stay (e.g. offering me more money etc) - which I don't care about (It's definately time for a change... money won't change things).

B ) Getting grumpy when I tell them and saying things like 'You're really going to let us down if you leave now' or 'All that training etc has been worthless? I really think you are making the wrong move leaving' etc...

C ) Getting so moody, they give a bad reference and make the time until I serve my notice a nightmare.

What is the best way people have experienced? - I was going to go with 'I have to regretably inform you, that for personal reasons, I need to hand in my notice'.

- Personal reasons = They can't solve the problem.

Also ... I don't think listing all the things that I dislike (the reason I want to leave) will make the situation any easier.

Opinions?
Steve
Premium Member

24th Mar 10 at 18:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

write a letter
oceansoul

24th Mar 10 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IIRC they cant give u a bad refrence. Only tell your new employer about your attendance, sick days etc
ashleh

24th Mar 10 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They technically can't write you a bad reference so wouldn't worry there.
MarkSport

24th Mar 10 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J

C ) Getting so moody, they give a bad reference and make the time until I serve my notice a nightmare.

They can't give you a bad reference by law.My company got taken to a tribunal by me which i won last month and they gave me an excellent reference
Gareth F

24th Mar 10 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they can only say about attendance/sick days if asked first.

Id write a letter and post it to them explaining that you need a change of career and thank them for the time you have worked there and work a weeks more notice than you need to. Just dont burn the bridge tbh.
mwg

24th Mar 10 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is what I wrote:

Dear *****,

Please accept this as formal notice of my resignation from (company name) with effect from (insert date).
I am happy to continue to work until (insert date).

While I believe that I am moving for good reasons, I am sorry to leave, and I thank you for your support during my time with the company.

Yours sincerely,
______

Worked ok for me.
mwg

24th Mar 10 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My boss still begged me to stay and offered me a payrise but just said no its time for a change.
ed

24th Mar 10 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd inform them verbally first, just to get off on the right foot.
Gareth F

24th Mar 10 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but that would put him in the position to have to stand there and listen to them asking why,how and if they can change something which is not what he wants.
Paul_J

24th Mar 10 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like that mwg thanks! book marking this thread for future reference!

... interesting about the bad reference

- It probably doesn't help that the guy sitting next to me want to leave too... I kinda feel if he leaves before me, I'll be screwed as the company will be in a shit situation with the both of us gone.

ed I did think about just having a word with my boss, but when I hinted I wanted to leave back in nov, he got quite moody and then threw money at me.

To be honest, I've realised it doesn't change the job and the things that get me down about it.

I was at a developer conference last week and just realised that I should be working with a company that do things 'properly' ... aka 'professionally' and want things to change for the better.

Instead there's just directors who only care about the bottom line and profits... despite the fact that in my line of work, a little bit of time spent at the start (or even now) would save us a lot of time (and thus money) later on... but I've been trying to persuade the company to change for a year and failing!
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Mar 10 at 19:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shouldn't be too difficult a process. I doubt you're so indispensable that they're going to beg you or anything fantasy like that. And if they get pissed off and it makes you sad, be happy that they'll get over it very quickly when the next guy comes in and is equally as good if not better than you were.
Ben G

24th Mar 10 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just write what matty g put. simple yet effective.

they will always try and make you stay, but just tell them you want to achieve more goals in your life or something.
Marc

24th Mar 10 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought I'd be begged not to leave my old job!

Left notice on manager's des, then an hour later was taken off for a chat and told how much holiday pay I was due. Didn't even try to get me to stay, although they told my work mates they did!
mwg

24th Mar 10 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I shouldn't of said beg me to stay really as thats probably blowing my own trumpet a bit He was just quite persistent in trying to get me to stay.

They cant expect you stay with them forever Paul! People come and go.

Dont kid yourself in thinking that you are letting the company down as they probably wouldn't hesitate to get rid of you if they had to cos times got hard. Think of number 1! I felt bad for leaving my old company but it was the right thing to do long term.
richc

24th Mar 10 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you have another job lined up?
Paul_J

24th Mar 10 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Shouldn't be too difficult a process. I doubt you're so indispensable that they're going to beg you or anything fantasy like that. And if they get pissed off and it makes you sad, be happy that they'll get over it very quickly when the next guy comes in and is equally as good if not better than you were.

You say that, but the incompetence of this company is the whole reason I want to leave.

You don't really know the situation, but I've already been begged to stay back in Nov when I said I wanted to leave and was given a 5k rise. I know the guy sitting next to me has been through the same process too in the past.

The companies incompetence keeps too much knowledge in people's heads. As new people start, it gets passed down from the existing people to the new people... but the old people have left (because it was shit), leaving only a small number of people who know everything... me and the guy next to me (who wants to leave) included.

That's why I want to leave before he does, as they'll think they can hire and retrain if he's still there to teach them...

If he leaves, I can imagine a massive rush of trying to knowledge transfer before I leave, but 1 month (notice) is far too short to be useful.
Pop

24th Mar 10 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't worry about it. Get another job lined up. Hand your notice in and don't look back. Their incompetence is not your problem.
Pop

24th Mar 10 at 20:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another option for the resignation letter.

Pop

24th Mar 10 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Google "I resign", follow the first link and there's some good templates on that site.
AndyKent

24th Mar 10 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you got another job lined up? It'd be madness to quit if you haven't just because you don't like the way they run things!
GF-91
Banned

24th Mar 10 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or, you could go all psycho, like that guy in 'wanted'.
Either way, good luck
Colin

24th Mar 10 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your thinking too much about it, just resign & switch off during your notiice period. Their not going to say no & hold you hostage.

It would be advisable to have something else lined up before handing in your notice.
Andrew

24th Mar 10 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Handed mine in earlier after walking out at 4pm.

Text went off to manager saying my notice will be on her desk tomorrow morning, an e-mail sent to the owner in France explaining the MD is an arogant tosser... Just had a phone call to arrange a meeting tomorrow.

Totally had enough, can't be doing with someone standing behind me pushing me to do things.
GF-91
Banned

24th Mar 10 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew

Totally had enough, can't be doing with someone standing behind me pushing me to do things.

Like him in wanted? did you crack someone in the face with a keyboard too?

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Handing in your notice... whats the best way? 22 database queries in 0.0113831 seconds