corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Pug 206 GTi

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Pug 206 GTi
N3CRO

User status: Offline
4th Apr 10 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm buying a 206 GTi soon and although I have already seen it and is in good condition, just wondering what experiences people have had with them and what their common faults are.
Antwon

4th Apr 10 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the main fault is it's a french car
N3CRO

4th Apr 10 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah yeah, I know that french build quality is shite.
am4nf

4th Apr 10 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thermostat was blocked up on my sisters, made the heaters unable to blow warm air
djgritt
Premium Member

4th Apr 10 at 21:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which one you getting?

GTi 180?
N3CRO

4th Apr 10 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by djgritt
Which one you getting?

GTi 180?

Nah, unfortunatly not. It's the 130bhp ones.
Eck
Premium Member

4th Apr 10 at 21:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd get a Xsara VTS instead of the 138.
N3CRO

4th Apr 10 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
I'd get a Xsara VTS instead of the 138.

Naaaah.
Eck
Premium Member

4th Apr 10 at 21:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why not? Far quicker but the same price.

Edit: Sorry, cost less more often than not

[Edited on 04-04-2010 by Eck]
N3CRO

4th Apr 10 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck

I have this 206 cheap and waiting for me at a family members so...

[Edited on 04-04-2010 by TheNobleOne]
djgritt
Premium Member

4th Apr 10 at 21:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What sort of budget are you working on, roughly?

I've looked at GTis for SWMBO, but found Clio 172s for nearly the same moneys...
Butler

4th Apr 10 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just sold mine. Handling is awful in my opinion, they arent very quick either. Saying that if that doesnt bother you they are a lot car for the money these days. I found mine very comfortable and quite reliable for a french car.
Eck
Premium Member

4th Apr 10 at 21:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TheNobleOne
quote:
Originally posted by Eck

If it's cheap then take it, and sell it on for a profit. Such a boring lifeless car.
N3CRO

4th Apr 10 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eck
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Eck

If it's cheap then take it, and sell it on for a profit. Such a boring lifeless car.

I'm not planning on keeping it long, its just a hell of alot quicker than my Corsa B 12v which I'm bored of after driving for 3 years.
Plus, you won't getta Clio 172 for under a grand

[Edited on 04-04-2010 by TheNobleOne]
corsagsigav

4th Apr 10 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pulled 3 out of ditches at the beginning off the year lol
N3CRO

4th Apr 10 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Butler
I just sold mine. Handling is awful in my opinion, they arent very quick either. Saying that if that doesnt bother you they are a lot car for the money these days. I found mine very comfortable and quite reliable for a french car.

Nah, not keeping it long, just bored of my Corsa 12v.
kz

4th Apr 10 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine had the dangerous common fault of randomly switching off whilst driving along, often on motorways. Had to get rid unfortunately, check out the 206 forum there's loads of information about it. There's no fix for it btw.
N3CRO

5th Apr 10 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Found a little more info about the car today. Turns out its had a new engine which I think may be from a GTi 180 coz the original engine had done alot of miles and my uncle has said its very quick and he's not one for saying that about a hatchback plus I'm sure he told me it was a 180 before, I just didn't take much notice at the time.
Phil W

5th Apr 10 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had the 130 version, was ok but as said earlier in the thread, handling isn't brilliant, mine felt quite unpredictable actually.

Go *ok* for what they are i suppose.
N3CRO

5th Apr 10 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, 130bhp ain't really alot for a 2.0 16v these days, even for an 11 yr old car, espc when you think that Redtops produce 150bhp and have been kicked around for about 20 years.
22B

5th Apr 10 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Found a little more info about the car today. Turns out its had a new engine which I think may be from a GTi 180 coz the original engine had done alot of miles and my uncle has said its very quick and he's not one for saying that about a hatchback plus I'm sure he told me it was a 180 before, I just didn't take much notice at the time.

Id be very suprised if its had a 180 engine transplant as its not a straightforward swap as the 180 is electronic throttle, would also need the 180 exhaust manifold and exhaust system. What age is the 206?

Ive owned both 206 GTi and GTi 180. Dont understand the bad handling comments, Ive owned a few decent handling cars and the standard 206 GTi is pretty good in the corners, has a bit of body roll but plenty of grip and has the great french lift off oversteer, Its not as sharp as the 205 GTi or saxo VTS I have owned, but bad handler is one thing I wouldnt call it.

Its not exactly quick but its no slouch with a kerb weight of 1050kg its about the same pace as VTS, 306 GTi 6 which a few of my friends had at the time, and depending who put their foot down first, they stayed in front.

The 180 is what the 206 gti should of been originally, a lot sharper all round, handles superb, barely any bodyroll, nice revvy engine, awesome seats just a shame it hasnt got a 6th gear. Also the ride is very firm, due to the 17 " alloys.

People slate the 180 but to be honest I cant fault it, may be a tenth slower than the clio and not as sharp, but on the road you would struggle to seperate them, I find in my old 180 I could cover ground very quickly indeed, a lot of the time you couldnt belive the speed you could throw it into a corner, much like my VTS.

N3CRO

6th Apr 10 at 00:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 22B
quote:

Id be very suprised if its had a 180 engine transplant as its not a straightforward swap as the 180 is electronic throttle, would also need the 180 exhaust manifold and exhaust system. What age is the 206?

Ive owned both 206 GTi and GTi 180. Dont understand the bad handling comments, Ive owned a few decent handling cars and the standard 206 GTi is pretty good in the corners, has a bit of body roll but plenty of grip and has the great french lift off oversteer, Its not as sharp as the 205 GTi or saxo VTS I have owned, but bad handler is one thing I wouldnt call it.

Its not exactly quick but its no slouch with a kerb weight of 1050kg its about the same pace as VTS, 306 GTi 6 which a few of my friends had at the time, and depending who put their foot down first, they stayed in front.

The 180 is what the 206 gti should of been originally, a lot sharper all round, handles superb, barely any bodyroll, nice revvy engine, awesome seats just a shame it hasnt got a 6th gear. Also the ride is very firm, due to the 17 " alloys.

People slate the 180 but to be honest I cant fault it, may be a tenth slower than the clio and not as sharp, but on the road you would struggle to seperate them, I find in my old 180 I could cover ground very quickly indeed, a lot of the time you couldnt belive the speed you could throw it into a corner, much like my VTS.

Its a 1999 and yes I know they didn't make 180's til 2003. All I know is that its had a newer engine put in. I'll be finding out more in a few days.

[Edited on 06-04-2010 by TheNobleOne]
AlunJ

6th Apr 10 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
Mine had the dangerous common fault of randomly switching off whilst driving along

My C does that quick squirt of carb cleaner down the inlet job done
22B

6th Apr 10 at 12:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 22B
quote:

Its a 1999 and yes I know they didn't make 180's til 2003. All I know is that its had a newer engine put in. I'll be finding out more in a few days.

Id be pretty sure its not a 180 engine then as it is very complicated due to the fact that from 2002/2003 onwards all 206s used a multiplexed wiring system, and as far as Ive read you would need the whole loom from the car the engine came from, as well as the BSi unit, which makes it a very complicated procedure.

The engines are quite easy to tell apart visually, so wont take you long to figure out which engine youve got.

Good luck, I found my GTi 138 bulletproof in the 4.5 years |I had it, only ever got let down by a flat battery. And it was also very cheap to run
N3CRO

6th Apr 10 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 22B
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 22B
quote:

Id be pretty sure its not a 180 engine then as it is very complicated due to the fact that from 2002/2003 onwards all 206s used a multiplexed wiring system, and as far as Ive read you would need the whole loom from the car the engine came from, as well as the BSi unit, which makes it a very complicated procedure.

The engines are quite easy to tell apart visually, so wont take you long to figure out which engine youve got.

Good luck, I found my GTi 138 bulletproof in the 4.5 years |I had it, only ever got let down by a flat battery. And it was also very cheap to run

I have no idea when I'll be seeing the car again as I rarely go to my uncles plus I'm not having the car until I sell my Corsa, hopefully I won't have too much trouble selling it. I will be calling my uncle on Thursday for all the info on the 206.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Pug 206 GTi 22 database queries in 0.0141089 seconds