corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » saved up for a new car but now having 2nd thoughts..

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author saved up for a new car but now having 2nd thoughts..
Minty_Fresh

User status: Offline
7th Apr 10 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After saving up my pennys for a new car, the petrol prices etc are making me have 2nd thoughts

also the tax is supposed to go up aswell along with the insurance, sooo not cheap to drive these days..

gutted tbh..

Matt L

7th Apr 10 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same as me really, currently saving for a 350 but petrol costs and general running costs would be a killer so thinking im gonna have to go for another derv although hopefully if i manage to change jobs then i should be able to manage to get one before it gets way too much.
Minty_Fresh

7th Apr 10 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The way im going to do it, is wait untill this time next year (in that time i will be 21 and have 4 years no claims 'touch wood')

thats my insurance thats gone down a lot, so will see what the tax/petrol is like then i think..

Bart

7th Apr 10 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

come and touch my wood if you like

Ive been having similar thoughts myself, although I dont do a massive amount of miles to worry about it too much.

Im currently saving like mad and hope to take out a 10k loan. I have something like a X5 4.8is in mind (which I think is an amazing 4x4):

The 3.0 diesel do twice as many miles to the gallon (30), but dont look half as nice

[Edited on 07-04-2010 by Bart]
Tomnova16
Premium Member

7th Apr 10 at 11:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the mrs wants me to sell the m3 to get one of those, not got kids yet so not happening

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
nathy_87

7th Apr 10 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart

Ive been having similar thoughts myself, although I dont do a massive amount of miles to worry about it too much.

Im currently saving like mad and hope to take out a 10k loan. I have something like a X5 4.8is in mind (which I think is an amazing 4x4):

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/8315/car1v.jpg

The 3.0 diesel do twice as many miles to the gallon (30), but dont look half as nice

I hope that's your opinon

Mk4, What happend to that Mk1 you had?
Fro

7th Apr 10 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Matt L
Same as me really, currently saving for a 350 but petrol costs and general running costs would be a killer so thinking im gonna have to go for another derv although hopefully if i manage to change jobs then i should be able to manage to get one before it gets way too much.

Just get one I've averaging 25.5 mpg at the mo and thats with a good mix of driving

quote:
Originally posted by mk4_boy
The way im going to do it, is wait untill this time next year (in that time i will be 21 and have 4 years no claims 'touch wood')

thats my insurance thats gone down a lot, so will see what the tax/petrol is like then i think..

Both will keep going up and up. Regarding the tax though it depends how new the car is that you're going for. my 350 is just over 200 for the year on a 54 plate but if i got an 06 or newer it is double that.
Ojc

7th Apr 10 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You have one life, live it.
Matt L

7th Apr 10 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fro-dizzle
quote:
Originally posted by Matt L

Just get one I've averaging 25.5 mpg at the mo and thats with a good mix of driving

I really want to but im used to 50+mpg
Colin

7th Apr 10 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

High tax costs are the only thing that annoys me, pretty much because I dont do many miles so dont see the relevence.

£400odd a year is a sore one, no matter how you look at it. I'd rather pay £1.50 a litre at the pumps & have no road tax at all!

Current car (2005) is the newest I can go without getting ripped by the silly tax banding.

So next cars looking more likely to be an older 911. Probably a 996 C4S, or a turbo...although would consider a 993 is a decent looking one came along!!
Minty_Fresh

7th Apr 10 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im getting 30ish mpg in my 1.1 saxo run about at the moment

Root

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
High tax costs are the only thing that annoys me, pretty much because I dont do many miles so dont see the relevence.

£400odd a year is a sore one, no matter how you look at it. I'd rather pay £1.50 a litre at the pumps & have no road tax at all!

Current car (2005) is the newest I can go without getting ripped by the silly tax banding.

So next cars looking more likely to be an older 911. Probably a 996 C4S, or a turbo...although would consider a 993 is a decent looking one came along!!

how much are those to tax?
Colin

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
You have one life, live it.

I'll drink to this
Root

7th Apr 10 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
im getting 30ish mpg in my 1.1 saxo run about at the moment

i was getting about 10 in my 1.2 8v corsa, since, I redone the head, it changed to about 20, then I just changed the heavy alloys to 13" steelies yesterday and stripped the car yesterday, hoping to see an improvement lol...stupid old cars with small engines drinking all the petrols
Colin

7th Apr 10 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Root
quote:

996 will be the same as my M3. Whatever it is. £225 I think.

Pre 2000 car is £215 or so.
Root

7th Apr 10 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

cool, not bad then for a car that spits out far more harmful emissions than whichever £400/year car you wanted to tax. This government and they're "save the planet, up the car taxes" scheme. should fix the roads if taxes are going up and it should be a fixed amount per vehichle.

Anyway, that's not bad to tax that. We'll all have to think about getting old porsche's in the future
Minty_Fresh

7th Apr 10 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think a porsche is the right way to go colin tbf..

Colin

7th Apr 10 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

cool, not bad then for a car that spits out far more harmful emissions than whichever £400/year car you wanted to tax. This government and they're "save the planet, up the car taxes" scheme. should fix the roads if taxes are going up and it should be a fixed amount per vehichle.

Anyway, that's not bad to tax that. We'll all have to think about getting old porsche's in the future

I cant see why they dont scrap it & bang it on fuel. Surely the most polluting cars are the ones that do the most miles.
Colin

7th Apr 10 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i think a porsche is the right way to go colin tbf..

Deffo

The only problems with a 993 is it wont be as powerfull as what I have now & that could be a turn off.

I'd want the flame spitting child eating turbo model & they change hands for £50k

Minty_Fresh

7th Apr 10 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

who cares about being a little slower, i mean look at it..

but i know what you mean, sort of haha..
Colin

7th Apr 10 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont get me wrong, that one you posted is mint but its no turbo & I think i'd always wish it was.

Its also way too low to get over the speed bumps where I live & on my drive without beaching it!!
Root

7th Apr 10 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I cant see why they dont scrap it & bang it on fuel. Surely the most polluting cars are the ones that do the most miles.

That's the best thing I've heard, ever.

I mean, in one sense, it's shit because we pay enough for fuel as it is, but in another, it's epic because some of us don't do that many miles.

Colin for PM!....Jeremy Clarkson can be chansellor.
Minty_Fresh

7th Apr 10 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get a 'fat' loan out and get the 993 turbo then, as Ojc said, you have one life, live it

bigboykarl

7th Apr 10 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart

[Edited on 07-04-2010 by Bart]

get a 12k loan buy a petrol one spend 2k having it lpg'd
Colin

7th Apr 10 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
get a 'fat' loan out and get the 993 turbo then, as Ojc said, you have one life, live it

Next year when the wages go up I might just have to do something silly like that!!

Another way of looking at it is a 993 Turbo's always going to be £50k+ if kept in good order!!

However if you spent £50k+ on a new M3 or something your going to loose out on depreciation big time.

993's an investment There ive just talked myself into it....only live once!!

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » saved up for a new car but now having 2nd thoughts.. 23 database queries in 0.0147822 seconds