corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » job day: current pay at interviews

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author job day: current pay at interviews
Matt L

User status: Offline
7th Apr 10 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do potential new employers check what your current salary is? only reason i ask is because my current salary is shit and on if i go for a new job i would like atleast a 50% increase on it which to a new employer sounds and looks excessive but its only because my current job i am 50/60% under the average for my qualifications... so what would happen if i was to lie about my current rate of pay inorder to make me increase not sound rediculous? (wouldnt do this probably but if it helped my case i would consider it).
Kano

7th Apr 10 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rather than lieing I would probably be honest but tell them that this is one of the factors in you wanting to leave them.
sc0ott

7th Apr 10 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my current job, they made me an offer over the phone just after they told me i got the job. thats what they should do if the job description states 'salary depending on experience' or something like that. if they offer you a low wage then tell them what you want and reasons why. experience, qualifications etc
Colin

7th Apr 10 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They would find out when you give them your P45 from previous employer anyway.

If they ask just tell them your currently underpaid hence the reason your applying - to get a wage better suited to reflect your duties & commitment & blah blah blaaaaah etc

Dont lie you'll get found out one way or another.

[Edited on 07-04-2010 by Colin]
Matt L

7th Apr 10 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought that about the p45 too, suppose its best just to big up the reasons why i feel i need a massive rise
James

7th Apr 10 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends how much you lie. You could get away with justifying small amounts by saying they are pre-tax benefit deductions that don't appear on the P45.
Daimo B

7th Apr 10 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can drop in about bonuses too. Maybe you get a cash bonus, or a gift voucher card which won't show up on a P45.

I ensure to state about bonuses and gifts on top of my wage. So instead of saying.

My wage is £5k per annum.
Id Say
My basic is £5kpa, but I get a bonus of x amount and a gift card worth x amount making a total package of £7.5k pa..

If thats understandable?
Colin

7th Apr 10 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
Can drop in about bonuses too. Maybe you get a cash bonus, or a gift voucher card which won't show up on a P45.

I ensure to state about bonuses and gifts on top of my wage. So instead of saying.

My wage is £5k per annum.
Id Say
My basic is £5kpa, but I get a bonus of x amount and a gift card worth x amount making a total package of £7.5k pa..

If thats understandable?

Not understandable in the slightest that you get a bonus when you spend 75% of the working day on here jibber jabbering!
mwg

7th Apr 10 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was honest about what I was being paid.

My mate told his new company he was on 5k more than he really was and they never said a word to him about it.
Daimo B

7th Apr 10 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin

Not understandable in the slightest that you get a bonus when you spend 75% of the working day on here jibber jabbering!

My job is lame.

And i'd say its at least 80% anyway

Im still looking I can assure you!!!!!
Andy Stocker

7th Apr 10 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get the opposite. My current job is very well paid for warehouse work, and all the other jobs I apply for are between 7-10k less.
I put down what I earn on my forms and they can't match it.
I'm happy to earn less money as I just want a Mon-Fri 9-5 job
Daimo B

7th Apr 10 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No luck then yet?

State your prepared to accept a reduced wage as your changing career etc...
Colin

7th Apr 10 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely the extra will be made up in shift allowance Andy if your applying for 9-5 jobs?

Like my job on land pays around 15-20k less than the equivalent offshore rate. The extra cash is just a buffer to compensate for not having a social life!!
Andy Stocker

7th Apr 10 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not yet no

I think they look at it and assume you're over qualified if you know what I mean?
Bart

7th Apr 10 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you cant be too dishonest during these times.
Unfortunatly, there are alot of unemployed people in most industries, all extremly desperate for a job. I wouldnt push your luck tbh.
Colin

7th Apr 10 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
quote:

My job is lame.

And i'd say its at least 80% anyway

Im still looking I can assure you!!!!!

Everyones job is lame.

Im about to disappear off the face of the earth in 4hrs time.

Life then resumes a fortnight later!!

Hell it pays the bills!!
Andy Stocker

7th Apr 10 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Surely the extra will be made up in shift allowance Andy if your applying for 9-5 jobs?

Like my job on land pays around 15-20k less than the equivalent offshore rate. The extra cash is just a buffer to compensate for not having a social life!!

I'm sure the allowance isn't that much though!
If I hadn't taken any extra unpaid holiday or sick days in the last tax year my pay would be up around £33k, most jobs round here are between 16-18k.
It's a very well paid job for sorting boxes don't get me wrong, but fcuk me I just need a life
Colin

7th Apr 10 at 15:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok yeah that is a lot for a warehousing job.

Whats wrong with the hours? Is it not continental rota?

Do you drive a forklift or sideloader Andy? Ive always wanted to have a job doing that.
Daimo B

7th Apr 10 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by VXR

Everyones job is lame.

Hell it pays the bills!!

No I disagree, there are a lot of good jobs out there, just the pay isn't that, and if the pay is good then your very lucky.

You've got 2 weeks of work, but then have like a month off.

I would be happy with that tbh Nahh you've got an interesting job, but I hate the mundain 9-5 (or 8.30 till 5) as I only get to sit at a desk.

I miss walking about round offices, different building etc

Best part about this kinda of job though (which I think Andy is looking forward too) is bank holidays, weekends, paid sick days, and being able to have a weekend.
Andy Stocker

7th Apr 10 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Ok yeah that is a lot for a warehousing job.

Whats wrong with the hours? Is it not continental rota?

Do you drive a forklift or sideloader Andy? Ive always wanted to have a job doing that.

It's permanent nights, any 5 from 7.
I did drive a forklift, but the training department have 'misplaced' my paperwork
pow
Premium Member

7th Apr 10 at 15:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't lie lol
Andy Stocker

7th Apr 10 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by VXR

Everyones job is lame.

Hell it pays the bills!!

No I disagree, there are a lot of good jobs out there, just the pay isn't that, and if the pay is good then your very lucky.

I would be happy with that tbh Nahh you've got an interesting job, but I hate the mundain 9-5 (or 8.30 till 5) as I only get to sit at a desk.

Best part about this kinda of job though (which I think Andy is looking forward too) is bank holidays, weekends, paid sick days, and being able to have a weekend.

Nail on the head You lot all enjoyed a 4 day weekend, I worked it all. Christmas is usually back to work boxing day
Andy Stocker

7th Apr 10 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Don't lie lol

Me?
Colin

7th Apr 10 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR

Yeah I see exactly what your saying.

Time off & moneys great in my job but the night before you go back its like torture!!

Ive done the 9-5 office environment, with a promise of plenty outside activity, site visits etc. Then discovered they just wanted a monkey to do the shit no one else wanted me to do, gave me a fancy title so I thought I was important & then expected everything under the sun to be completed yesterday. It was the most stressful & unhappy ive ever been, the only thing it gave me was the determination to get out & do something more 'fun', 'interesting'.....certainly better paying!!

Best job ive had was working for a tool hire company delivering/collecting equipment for hire then PAT testing, hosing down with a Karcher, sticking back on the shelf ready for the next delivery. If it paid like double what it did i'd be content working there for the rest of my life!!
Fad

7th Apr 10 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont lie, my boss just filled out a refference for my mate and i proof read it and it asked for their current salary and number of sick days.

You will get caught out as HR departments often read up on the notes taken at an interview too.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » job day: current pay at interviews 22 database queries in 0.0148900 seconds