corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Stripping cars, the debate!

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Stripping cars, the debate!
gavin18787
Premium Member

User status: Offline
6th Jun 10 at 21:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been having this discussion on another forum for a couple of days now.

Some people are saying that stripping out cars doesnt really gain you anything and just makes the car unbalanced. ie taking everything out the rear will then make the car front heavy and twitchy. Some are even taking it to the extreme of saying that moving the battery will even upset it.
I mean from a professional point of veiw you would want your car with nigh on perfect 50/50 distribution. But from a budget shed build would you really notice that much?

Discuss

There is an example here but in typical top gear style its a bit bias as they changed the tyres

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/how-fat-is-your-car?imageNo=0

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
antnee

6th Jun 10 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I noticed a difference with both my Ibiza's, the Mk4 becomes very light on the rear, but thats cos it ends up like 80/20, the yellow one felt much better with nothing in the back though.

I think in a FWD car, somewhere around 60/40 to 75/25 is best as you need the weight over the front wheels to get some grip.
Bonney

6th Jun 10 at 21:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So basically what they are saying that a touring car (For example) that is stripped out will not handle as well as the road going version?
Nic Barnes

6th Jun 10 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

touring car set up is a quite a bit different to a road car tbh.
gavin18787
Premium Member

6th Jun 10 at 21:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bonney
So basically what they are saying that a touring car (For example) that is stripped out will not handle as well as the road going version?

they are properly corner weighted etc though

Not the same suspension set up as the road car with alot less weight

antnee

6th Jun 10 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I say it's not just about stripping, weight distribution plays a big part, but when you remove/move weight you should also be looking to see if the springs are still at the correct poundage and also ride height
RCoughtrie

6th Jun 10 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got a link to other forum thread ?
gavin18787
Premium Member

6th Jun 10 at 21:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Main reason in asking is I was considering stripping mine and turning it into a toy. But if its not going to gain me much in speed
(stripping a saxo will only save 50kg at most though)
and upset the handling I may not bother

Might just get some light wheels to reduce the unsprung weigh bash on some sticky tyres and be done with it

Jambo

6th Jun 10 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the brake bias affected at all with less weight in the back?!
DannyB
Premium Member

6th Jun 10 at 21:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I noticed a difference in mine, never had handling issues as it's allways been good handling, you can avoid making the back end twitch anyway.
gavin18787
Premium Member

6th Jun 10 at 21:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RCoughtrie
got a link to other forum thread ?

main 6 page one, need to be a member though

http://www.saxperience.com/forum/showthread.php?t=313746

DaveyLC

6th Jun 10 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Road cars are designed to have so a massive range of gross-weights I doubt it makes much of a difference to the geometery etc.
gavin18787
Premium Member

6th Jun 10 at 21:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DannyB
I noticed a difference in mine, never had handling issues as it's allways been good handling, you can avoid making the back end twitch anyway.

Is there a noticeable difference in speed or does it just sound and feel faster as its more raw. Did it affect the handling at all? Mines nice and neutral at the moment and want to keep it that way

DannyB
Premium Member

6th Jun 10 at 21:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It did feel a bit quicker yeah, not massive though, handling is fine. Spot on. It does make the car feel raw though.
Steve
Premium Member

6th Jun 10 at 21:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wouldnt bother tbh, the only reason i was considering doing it to mine was to fit buckets, it wont make any difference on our low powered cars.

[Edited on 06-06-2010 by Steve]
Nic Barnes

6th Jun 10 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh back end on mine was shite. weld in climbing frame has made it so much better for cornering now though.
Graham88

7th Jun 10 at 01:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I stripped the back of my Fiesta out to go on track, I noticed a big difference, and that was only seats & spare wheel really and a few bits of carpet. Was alot more arse end happy but the car felt alot quicker and was alot more fun to drive.

I don't see how people can say it doesn't make a difference, it's the same power pulling something with less weight, of course it's going to be quicker
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Jun 10 at 01:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I spotted that TG article a while ago, it certainly does open the debate.

I would be curious to see what would happen in the dry if that test were repeated.

Regarding weight distribution, yes my Puma is a bit of a handful but not having driven it standard I've not much to compare it to. I also intend lowering and stiffening the suspension in conjunction with the weight saving. On standard suspension I would guess it would be not a nice drive.

[Edited on 07-06-2010 by Ian]
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Jun 10 at 01:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Remove low torqued bolts nuts and fixings in engine bay and replace for Aliminium ones

cut off the brackets and fixing studs in the back of the car

BMC CDA is the lightest intake iirc?

I also question whether this lot is going to contribute much to the cause.
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Jun 10 at 01:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
move fuse boxes internal to the car same wit ecu ect and you can pull the center of grip back by getting more equal weight on the tyres all round

DannyB
Premium Member

7th Jun 10 at 01:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Indeed, might aswell just fold the wing mirrors in aswell for good measure.
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Jun 10 at 01:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm tempted to register and link the Puma thread. There are even posts about removing soil from the wheel arches. Which is correct - I had about 6kg worth if I remember
DannyB
Premium Member

7th Jun 10 at 02:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Removing the obvious thing like carpets, deadening, seats, trim etc is good enough unless you wan't to turn into an tit relocating fuse boxes and such. The deadening weighed a tonne out of mine and it's just a tiny car.
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Jun 10 at 02:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've still got loads of deadening to come out of mine. One of the many jobs.
DannyB
Premium Member

7th Jun 10 at 02:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's a fucking horrible job, I've still got to get some glue residue off the floor before it gets painted, although that will be done after the cage goes in. It's just one of them jobs you can't be arsed doing.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Stripping cars, the debate! 23 database queries in 0.0240970 seconds