corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Drink drive limit

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Drink drive limit
mwg

User status: Offline
16th Jun 10 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8742769.stm

If this goes ahead will it mean you cant even have a pint and drive? I think they should just leave it as it is.
DannyB
Premium Member

16th Jun 10 at 13:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It should be zero, one or the other. Drink OR drive.
mwg

16th Jun 10 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Zero would cause a lot of problems with having alcohol in your system from the night before or surely even having a food with alcohol in?
Colin

16th Jun 10 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats stupid if they make it zero. You could in theory loose your license if you have a chocolate liqueur or accidently swallow some of your mouth wash!!

I dont think theres anything wrong with the current system at all.
Neo

16th Jun 10 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With it potentially coming down I dont think the risk will be drinking and driving at night i.e. People will realize they might be over on a half so wont take the risk.

Where it will be a problem is on the morning/afternoon after a heavy night. You might feel completely fine, but how would you know for certain ? Just not drive the day after a few jars ?
mwg

16th Jun 10 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At the moment I quite often have a pint on a friday at the pub with my lunch then drive back to the office or go out mountain biking in the evening and have a social pint afterwards before heading home. I'd be worried about doing that if this came in
ryzer

16th Jun 10 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Thats stupid if they make it zero. You could in theory loose your license if you have a chocolate liqueur or accidently swallow some of your mouth wash!!

I dont think theres anything wrong with the current system at all.

you wouldnt have 15mg of alchohol in your system after a mouth wash, it would be on your breath though
adiohead

16th Jun 10 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree with the blood test aspect.

but not sure how this will reduce drink driving.
Paul_J

16th Jun 10 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DannyB

Why?

1 drink doesn't cause these accidents. Accidents would've happened anyway in the scenario where 1 drink is involved.

Ok - so if someone ends up having 2 or 3 and crashing, then they may not 'of realised they were over' - but in reality, those same people will still have 2 or 3 and crash even if the limit is 0.

Unfortunately what this would mean, is that for example. I can't go out for a lovely sunday drive / lunch somewhere and have a single drink, without the risk of being banned for a long time and having a large hike to my insurance.

It also puts immense risk on driving the day after going out drinking with mates - I would wait until mid day till I left anyway, but even then there may be traces of alcohol in the system.

- Bottom line is, most of the 'drink drive' accidents are caused by people who drink a lot and then drive (e.g. 6 pints + ) ... not by the people who drink 1 pint and drive.

The effect of this law? The people who drink a lot and drive, will continue to breach the law and crash.

The people who enjoy 1 drink will be fucked.
Colin

16th Jun 10 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
At the moment I quite often have a pint on a friday at the pub with my lunch then drive back to the office or go out mountain biking in the evening and have a social pint afterwards before heading home. I'd be worried about doing that if this came in

Same here, im not really a big drinker any more. Couple bottles of beer over a few hours then drive home is common activity for me, or a pint with dinner if we go out.

I cant see the benefit of the government binging this in, as has been said all its going to do is punish people that really are not in the wrong at all, it wont save lives!!

Waste of time really, who are they really screwing here, the driver, the drinker, or the economy??

If I cant drink & drive (in moderation - as I always have for past 10yrs) then i'll just sit at home & not spend my money!!
Paul_J

16th Jun 10 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
quote:

- Bottom line is, most of the 'drink drive' accidents are caused by people who drink a lot and then drive (e.g. 6 pints + ) ... not by the people who drink 1 pint and drive.

The effect of this law? The people who drink a lot and drive, will continue to breach the law and crash.

The people who enjoy 1 drink will be fucked.

^^ this is also similar to how people (stupidly) think that constantly reducing speed limits will reduce accidents involving speed.

If a road is 40 limit and people speed at 70 mph and crash, reducing the limit to 30 mph won't stop the people speeding at 70 and crashing. It'll just piss everyone else off making them now do 30 mph.
DannyB
Premium Member

16th Jun 10 at 13:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just don't agree with mixing alcohol and driving, just because you have 1 drink doesn't mean you'll be 100% fine, anything could happen. If you wan't to drink then get someone else to drive, all in my opinion of course. Speak to someone who's lost a relative/friend to a drink driver and you may change your views.
Colin

16th Jun 10 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What they do & i'm in no way the brains of britain, just a regular guy looking at this as a problem. What they need to do is make the punishments more severe, so theres an actual deterent not to drink & drive. Fuck peoples lives up, like they could do to any victims that they could meet during their moment of madness.

Take their car off them, crush it before them (I believe they do in America?), fine them £1000's...not £235!! & if they re-offend send them to jail.

Ive drunk drove in the past btw, im not totally innocent. Its takes an idiot to understand how to deal with one!!

Punishing the sound people that have a pint then drive straight up the road in a text book fashion is not going to do a thing!!

I sometimes wish government/green/anti-this&that type people would fuck right off!!
mattk

16th Jun 10 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as said this will only penalise people who actualy care how much they have had to drink and then drive

you will never stop the twats on road wars that come out 2 and 3 times over the limit, they simply dont care what the limit is and will still drive paraletic regardless

Il never drive after Ive had a pint anyway, I dont think Im cabable of having only one anyway
but I regulaly drive the morning after, I try not to before 11am ish but I could still get caught out

[Edited on 16-06-2010 by mattk]
Colin

16th Jun 10 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I just don't agree with mixing alcohol and driving, just because you have 1 drink doesn't mean you'll be 100% fine, anything could happen. If you wan't to drink then get someone else to drive, all in my opinion of course. Speak to someone who's lost a relative/friend to a drink driver and you may change your views.

I know of at least 10 people closely (mates etc) that have had DD bans. None of these people had just had one pint, probably 9 of them were completelly trollied, just one was the morning after but iirc he had been drinking late into the morning anyway.

I probably know 100 people that go to x,y, or z & have a pint or 2 (dependant n time scales) then drive. None have crashed to my memory.

Like I said this wont fix anything.
Paul_J

16th Jun 10 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

But you see this is such a nanny state / dumb attitude to have.

Your relative / friend that was lost to a drink driver didn't get killed because someone had 1 pint and drove.

They would've been OVER the limit. Reducing the limit further, wouldn't of saved that person. The person who killed them would've still drink drove OVER the limit even if the limit was 0.
Ingham
Banned

16th Jun 10 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you should be able to drive as pissed as you want.
Daimo B

16th Jun 10 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going out for drives and a lunchtime pint...

FFS its a beer, just have a coke or OJ instead. It won't kill you, you might not look quite as cool though.

Watched a great test a few years ago. They gave 2 people 4 pints each. One ate dinner, the other ate nothing.

The one who ate nothing blew 115.
The one who ate dinner blew 14. With 4 pints. It was a 3 course dinner.

Was an interesting watch.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

16th Jun 10 at 14:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if im driving then i never drink at all, i only drink to get drunk binge drinker

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
pow
Premium Member

16th Jun 10 at 14:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The morning after would worry me with this if they bought it on...
mwg

16th Jun 10 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm with what Colin and Paul are saying.

Ok it would probably make me think twice about having a pint then driving but ultimately its not stopping the people that are going out and getting smashed then driving and smashing in to people. So it all seems a bit pointless if its not going to stop that.
Colin

16th Jun 10 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tomnova16
if im driving then i never drink at all, i only drink to get drunk binge drinker

What about the morning though....how will you know for sure that there is no alcohol in your system at all??

I can hazard an educated guess as to when i'll be ok just now.......if they make it zero tollerence though im not sure I could.

Would to be worth going out on the Fri night if you need to pop into work on the Sat afternoon??

I just think its all a bag of shit tbh, the people that come up with these rules dont live in the real work & dont have a fucking clue!!
Ben D

16th Jun 10 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why drink 1 pint at all and drive? just dont drink if your planning on driving simple problem solved,

The LAw is fine as it is and protects against any miscarriages in justice in relation to false readings given by breathalizers in relation to mouth wash etc, however the penalty's need to be more sever, Because you endanger everyones lives when you get behind a wheel whilst under the influence of alcahol.

The Most Common sentence for Death by dangerous driving of which DEath by drink driving comees under the umbrella of is 6-8 years in custody, Do half, Which is in no way proportionate to the gravity of the crime!
DannyB
Premium Member

16th Jun 10 at 14:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm trying to say that they just shouldn't allow it at all, it encourages people to do it if anything. If it was outlawed alltogether then there would be more serious consequences should you be caught. Rather than a mediocre ban and a slap on the arse.
mwg

16th Jun 10 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Benji D
Why drink 1 pint at all and drive? just dont drink if your planning on driving simple problem solved,

because its nice to have a pint and sometimes you need to drive afterwards to get home, particularly where I live.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Drink drive limit 23 database queries in 0.0139010 seconds