corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Amblyopia / Lazy Eye

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Amblyopia / Lazy Eye
DaveyLC

User status: Offline
25th Jun 10 at 08:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know this is a car forum but there was a thread earlier in the year and a couple of members were saying they had a lazy eye when they were younger and now have Amblyopia.

I started seeing a new optician (one who knows their arse from their elbow) and they told me something interesting.. There are some new treatments available for adults with Amblyopia that have been proven to acutally work!

One is a little exotic where they use an electromagnet to 'wake' the optic nerve up.

And the other involves using a red coloured filter on the good eye to make the optic nerves in the Amblyopic eye work harder to see the missing colours. The idea of using the coloured filter and not completely blocking out the good eye is so that 1) you can still see properly and 2) you dont end up making your good eye go Amblyopic.
Brett
Premium Member

25th Jun 10 at 08:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Dave, let me know when you find the cure for a lazy body and I'm in
LeeM

25th Jun 10 at 08:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it may seem stupid, but whats amblyopia?
DaveyLC

25th Jun 10 at 08:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by lee_wee
it may seem stupid, but whats amblyopia?

Its a sight problem that isnt related to any defects in the eye.. Basically the brain ignores part of the sight in one or both eyes. Its normally caused by a birth defect in the position of one eye (i.e. it points very slightly the wrong way) so the brain ignores the central part of the sight to prevent seeing double but to preserve peripheral vision.

It is also possible to develop it by wearing scratched glasses etc. too.
Kurt

25th Jun 10 at 12:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could they not do an eye swap?
DaveyLC

25th Jun 10 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Amblyopia doesnt affect your eyes, its a problem with your brain! lol
Bart

25th Jun 10 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought lazy eye was to do with the muscles surrounding your eye-ball, which they could alter in an operation to correct?
DaveyLC

25th Jun 10 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You are correct but an Amblyopia i sa side affect of a lazy eye
jacko198

25th Jun 10 at 17:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kurt

Beat me to it by 5 hours !
Ben D

25th Jun 10 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

by part of the sight what do you mean? do you mean there are voids or black spots?

Just wondering as i had a lazy eye as a kid and had an op on my eye when i was 6 because of it
Seegeemusic

25th Jun 10 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Benji D
by part of the sight what do you mean? do you mean there are voids or black spots?

Just wondering as i had a lazy eye as a kid and had an op on my eye when i was 6 because of it

Dunno about anyone else but I struggle to see things far and close up. It's just really blured and I get a little tiny black spot in the corner of my eye. I had a lazy eye when I was a kid like, but it never seem to get any better hence why i've got amblyopia. I'm pretty glad i havent got a a mega bozzy eye tho
Ben D

25th Jun 10 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

didnt you get it corrected surgically? i did and i had to wear fuckin eye patches looked like an even bigger spoon
Seegeemusic

25th Jun 10 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah never had anything done to it. I had to wear patches but like yourself I looked a right plank so never carried on wearing them. I'm to old now to get anything sorted with it, so it's something I have to live with now. Doesnt really effect me tho, unless I'm trying to line something up by eye. Most of the time it'll be wonky
Ben D

25th Jun 10 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the surgery is still an option regardless of age, cos i was supposed to have a follow up op 3 years ago but didnt need it so left it.

Although i do get headaches when on the computer now which might be a side effect i dunno
MarkSport

25th Jun 10 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I suffered from strabismus
lostboy
Banned

25th Jun 10 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there a cure for colour blindness yet?
DaveyLC

25th Jun 10 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Craiggallon
Nah never had anything done to it. I had to wear patches but like yourself I looked a right plank so never carried on wearing them. I'm to old now to get anything sorted with it, so it's something I have to live with now. Doesnt really effect me tho, unless I'm trying to line something up by eye. Most of the time it'll be wonky

Same here.. I was a handful as a kid and I refused to wear them.. My eye sorted its self out though (as in the position) but my vision is fucked.. I'm interested in improving it though so willing to give the filter therapy a go.
DaveyLC

25th Jun 10 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MarkSport
quote:

I suffered from strabismus

Technically thats what I had but it caused Ambloypia because it wasnt sorted quick enough.
Seegeemusic

26th Jun 10 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:
Originally posted by Craiggallon

Same here.. I was a handful as a kid and I refused to wear them.. My eye sorted its self out though (as in the position) but my vision is fucked.. I'm interested in improving it though so willing to give the filter therapy a go.

Yeah my eye pretty much sorted it's self out. I notice it'll start slighty going bozzy when I've had to much to drink tho :lol. Think I'll have a look into this. I got my eyes tested about a month or 2 ago and she said that theres nothing you can do with an eye with amblyopia as it's to damaged over a certain age, 17 I think she said. It'll defo be good to see perfect vision out of both eyes.

How bad is your eye Davey?

[Edited on 26-06-2010 by Craiggallon]
DaveyLC

26th Jun 10 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ITs really hard to describe what its like, its like having tiny spot right in the middle of your eye that makes the very center blurry but everything else is fine.
Paul_J

26th Jun 10 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
ITs really hard to describe what its like, its like having tiny spot right in the middle of your eye that makes the very center blurry but everything else is fine.

Yeah I kinda have this on my right eye. Apart from instead of a really blury small spot in the centre of my vision, it's just not there / sometimes a black spot.

When I say not there, basically what is to the left of the spot and the right of the spot are side by side.

So if reading this number up close 12345678 - if i focus on say the number 4 I see 1235678 and if I focus on 7 I see 1234568 - thankfully my eyes move about naturally so you generally see all numbers unless you go through them one by one.

It's only a small blind spot though.

I got it because when I was younger if I was tired my right eye would go a bit lazy (I'd get double vision) and the brain / part of the eye which does that particular section of vision never developed. They made me wear eye patches and strengthened the muscles in that right eye, so no more lazy eye or double vision.

It was only recently I noticed i had a slight blind spot on my right eye (and thought I was going blind). Mainly noticed it when reading things up close or on computers white screens (getting blotches / spots).

When I got my eyes checked they told me what it was. Not really that bothered about it at the moment as it's barely noticable.

DaveyLC

26th Jun 10 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah the middle is pretty much non-existant ... I can read numbers and letters if they are on their own but as soon as they are surrounded by others im fucked!
Paul_J

26th Jun 10 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is it both eyes or just one though?

If I use my left eye I'm fine. If I use my right I'm fucked! Combined they're ok though.

hah, I just shut my left eye and tried to read this page think it's getting a bit worse

it's bloody annoying (just tried it now using my affected right eye) ... you try to read the text, but where ever you focus you can't really see... then you move to the next word (which you can barely see), and now you can see the previous word is visible - so your eyes dart back to read it and now can't see it again

balls.

thank god for my left eye!
Paul_J

26th Jun 10 at 23:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh yeah and on a strange topic (although I've not seen him recently)

Fad had a lazy eye, that he had lost sight on... (brain switched off) and last time I spoke to him he said just randomly one day it switched back on again! (Unless he was pulling my leg!)
DaveyLC

26th Jun 10 at 23:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just right eye and what you describe sounds exactly the same.. I might give this red filter therapy a crack you know.

Yeah I noticed he's got a funky eye! he could have surgery to sort that and the sight would naturally improve a little bit.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Amblyopia / Lazy Eye 22 database queries in 0.0151532 seconds