corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Subaru Imprezas - Buying... what to look for?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Imprezas - Buying... what to look for?
KerryP

User status: Offline
7th Aug 10 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anything to look out for bar the normal.

Looking at obviously the turbo version... quite like the estates but is there any model thats better than the rest or ones i should avoid?

Looking on ebay you can get decent looking ones for around 3k!

[Edited on 07-08-2010 by KerryP]
AlexW

7th Aug 10 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Make sure it hasnt been wrapped around a tree to start with, service's etc as they arnt cheap.
SnK

7th Aug 10 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Open your eyes is the best tip.

Don't get tunnel vision.. i.e 'ooh scooby wow it makes a really sick noise from the exhaust and it feels well quick and handles well good'
Check the bodywork, has it had a respray on any panels? If so why?
Whats the condition of the interior, usually if the interiors tatty and dirty the car hasn't been looked after.
Service history obviously..
Receipts..
Test drive and listen to any clunking noises.. use every gear and even neutral to hear any noises.
Check all the buttons for functions of the car work, i.e heated seats heated windscreen bla bla. Check how much wear is left on the discs and pads, have a look under bonnet for any wires un-connected. You'd be suprised but i've seen range rovers come straight from factory with wires unplugged.. But yet car still runs fine.
Brett
Premium Member

7th Aug 10 at 18:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That Wagon is only £3k? Might get one myself

They're solid cars, but expensive if they do go wrong.

The only thing that worries me about imprezas is the dreaded engine rebuild.

Personally I'd be looking at the same as any car. Service history, Check cambelt, etc, etc. You'd know if there was a big problem because it'd be making strange noises or running lumpy as hell
gavin18787
Premium Member

7th Aug 10 at 18:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much are engine re-builds. I still want to get a p1 but an scared of the horror stories

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
P1CK4D

7th Aug 10 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gavin18787
How much are engine re-builds. I still want to get a p1 but an scared of the horror stories

If your scared you'll never live. Just do it and live with the concequencies later.
Brett
Premium Member

7th Aug 10 at 18:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£1500-2000 I think, might be wrong.
Brett
Premium Member

7th Aug 10 at 18:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by P1CK4D
quote:

If your scared you'll never live. Just do it and live with the concequencies later.

You could jump out of a plane with no parachute and say that. There's such a thing as avoiding bad situations. I'd still get one again, regardless of rebuild worries. I've had two and both were fine. My classic did pop on the guy who bought it off me, but I know for a fact that he put a boost controller on it and turned it up, so it's his own fault. Was a great car.

My main bother generally is insurance in my wank postcode and running them on super unleaded doing 15-20mpg.
gavin18787
Premium Member

7th Aug 10 at 18:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
£1500-2000 I think, might be wrong.

My car cost 1k

Just now I am working within two miles of home I am thinking 4wd turbo cars

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
AlexW

7th Aug 10 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ohhh another thing to look out for is oil leaks from the cam covers, Had one in work that keept coming back, even with genuine Subaru gaskets.
KerryP

7th Aug 10 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not that im too bothered but what MPG do they return?

Andy Stocker

7th Aug 10 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My rebuild on my classic STI was near on £3k
Ben D

7th Aug 10 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by loafofbrett
quote:
Originally posted by P1CK4D
quote:

You could jump out of a plane with no parachute and say that. There's such a thing as avoiding bad situations. I'd still get one again, regardless of rebuild worries. I've had two and both were fine. My classic did pop on the guy who bought it off me, but I know for a fact that he put a boost controller on it and turned it up, so it's his own fault. Was a great car.

My main bother generally is insurance in my wank postcode and running them on super unleaded doing 15-20mpg.

Hey Brett didnt yours have a bad suspension problem? I still kick myself for not Buying that off you before you got rid

I got an A rated postcode now, Think its time i bought something fun again
big eck

7th Aug 10 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by KerryP
Not that im too bothered but what MPG do they return?

Under 10 when booting it and about 20 mpg when taking it easy
Corsa_Sport21

7th Aug 10 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just for the record,my brothers old Vec Gsi was just as heavy on the fuel as the Scooby it replaced.For comparison sake.
Brett
Premium Member

7th Aug 10 at 19:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben D
Hey Brett didnt yours have a bad suspension problem? I still kick myself for not Buying that off you before you got rid

I got an A rated postcode now, Think its time i bought something fun again

Not a bad problem nah. My STI just had a knock from the rear strut at low speed over speed bumps and things like that. Threw £800 at that and it didn't solve much. Just lived with it, didn't effect performance and couldn't be heard over the exhaust anyway Best car I've ever owned.
KerryP

7th Aug 10 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats the general opinion i get off people.... nightmare costs but best car they have ever owned!
big eck

7th Aug 10 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get an evo instead
Wrighty

7th Aug 10 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres always cost involved with performance but compared to some marques a subaru is far cheaper then others, bang for buck at 20 years old i couldnt go any faster. as for horror stories and engine rebuilds, youve got to sort through all the bullshit and rumours from people who dont and never will own one..
Gareth

7th Aug 10 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive had 3 these are the faults mine had: bottom end knocking, 3rd gear blown, maf sensor faulty, crank seals leaking, camshaft seals leaking, rocker cover gaskets leaking, throttle position sensor faulty.

Ive only had classics though i assume the newages are alot more relieable.
BarnshaW

7th Aug 10 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i am also wondering this, going to be looking at getting an STi in about 10-12 months time, around 06 reg, is there common issues to look out for , been reading up on tuning them and 300 odd bhp seems quite easy with a fuel pump upgrade, panel filter exhaust and remap? i also see TSL do a package to take them to 350 bhp for around 2.5k?
Wrighty

7th Aug 10 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

300 hp for a 2.5 would be nothing barnshaw, dont be lead in by tuner 'packages' the same or better parts/results can almost always be had for far less if your willing to do your homework.
BarnshaW

7th Aug 10 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sorry i meant the 2.0 litre ones, from around 2003 to 2006 , any places to read up proper on them other then the scooby forums?
Wrighty

7th Aug 10 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

newage 2.0 would knock on the door of 400hp quite happily mate. best forums are 22b and rs25.com, theres nasioc.com and scoobynet aswell but again, lotta shit on scoobynet to sift through!
BarnshaW

7th Aug 10 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is that 400bhp on standard internals? what sort of power can you achieve without having to upgrade major internals?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Subaru Imprezas - Buying... what to look for? 23 database queries in 0.0133049 seconds