corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » bodywork or mechanics?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author bodywork or mechanics?
Root

User status: Offline
3rd Sep 10 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got part time work atm but I wanna do a college course.

I want to do body work because I want to:
-be able to paint my own car(s) cheaply
-repair bodywork cheaply

I want to do mechanics because there's a lot more mechanic jobs out there than body work jobs..

halp? lol
marklawton

3rd Sep 10 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

persoanlly i would do bodywork. more money to be made. mechanies get about £250 a week? were as my brother who does bodywork gets £350 a week plus overtime
belton

3rd Sep 10 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fairly poor reason to want to do bodywork, but yes easier to start your own company and more money to be made. Worth getting the qualifications and then doing that though
Root

3rd Sep 10 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by belton
Fairly poor reason to want to do bodywork, but yes easier to start your own company and more money to be made. Worth getting the qualifications and then doing that though

who wouldn't want to respray their cars on the cheap?

At least I'd be taught it all properly, as opposed to trying to learn myself and just wasting shed loads of paint and whatnot
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

3rd Sep 10 at 10:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not just being able to do it cheap, you'd need the tools the space lots more to it, than just rubbing down and painting in your garage
Root

3rd Sep 10 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
not just being able to do it cheap, you'd need the tools the space lots more to it, than just rubbing down and painting in your garage

this man speaks the truth
3CorsaMeal

3rd Sep 10 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've never had anyone teach me bodywork, but have just read the labels on stuff and had a go, seems quite an easy thing really, i don't see what people can teach you on the subject, apart from make it look right and use sandpaper in the correct grades

at least with mechanics there is a lot of theory and understanding that makes sense to learn.

althought the way cars are heading i see a lot of "mechanics" struggling with modern cars and their electrics or dealer only procedures
Twitch

3rd Sep 10 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Working in paint and body work if your starting your own buisness then there isnt alot of money in it as running costs are very high. But if you go in with a company then there is deffently money to be made.

Mechanics there is alot of money to be made if you do the right side of it. you can charge a bomb for engine changes and more custom work and in honesty its not overly hard to do an engine change when you know what your doing.
Root

3rd Sep 10 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
i've never had anyone teach me bodywork, but have just read the labels on stuff and had a go, seems quite an easy thing really, i don't see what people can teach you on the subject, apart from make it look right and use sandpaper in the correct grades

at least with mechanics there is a lot of theory and understanding that makes sense to learn.

althought the way cars are heading i see a lot of "mechanics" struggling with modern cars and their electrics or dealer only procedures

the only problem(s) I can see with doing mechanics, as you said, cars are becoming more computer-involved as time goes on.

Also the other people doing the course are likely to be, not to categorise people (even though I am), but chavs. You get a lot of thick-headed chavs on a course like that.

if I could get a job in a PROPER garage afterwards though, it'd be worth it
Bart

3rd Sep 10 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Root

-repair bodywork cheaply

I want to do mechanics because there's a lot more mechanic jobs out there than body work jobs..

Call me silly, but you want to direct your live towards purusing a particular carrer purely so you can paint your own car and repair bodywork cheaply?

DaveyLC

3rd Sep 10 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I disagree..

Its cheaper to start up as a mechanic, you can work mobile and start building up your tools.

As for a bodyshop you can't realistically do that mobile so you'll need premesis and then there are limitations on what you can and can't do in certain areas due to enviromental regulations.
Root

3rd Sep 10 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
quote:
Originally posted by Root

-repair bodywork cheaply

Call me silly, but you want to direct your live towards purusing a particular carrer purely so you can paint your own car and repair bodywork cheaply?

Sorry, please quote me where I said I want to make a career out of it, just because someone goes to college doesn't mean for a minute, they want a job in it. Some people just enjoy learning etc.
John

3rd Sep 10 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to do a course to become a mechanic would be a complete waste of time, it'll be of no use at all unless you are doing it while working at a garage.

I hadn't read your above post before posting that, in that case it wouldn't be as useless.

Learning how to fix something when it breaks would be better though.

[Edited on 03-09-2010 by John]
harrisp

3rd Sep 10 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

What an absolute load of shite.
Recaro1

3rd Sep 10 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awating Tomnova16 view on this riddle....
belton

3rd Sep 10 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by harrisp
quote:

that is rediculous. I am guessing you read of the back of halfords tin. Or can u tell me the correct mix for 2k laquer?
And dave It is easier to start of your own mechanics as you said, start of mobile. But that takes a while to get your name about etc. Much easier to start a bodyshop and get a good reputation quickly. There are lots of garages compared to body shops
belton

3rd Sep 10 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also the other people doing the course are likely to be, not to categorise people (even though I am), but chavs. You get a lot of thick-headed chavs on a course like that.

if I could get a job in a PROPER garage afterwards though, it'd be worth it

chavs? What's wrong with you! Have u even been there. All the chavs I know have jobs now or work in retail. Have you even been to the college?! Alot of my friends are doing mechanics courses and they are not chavy in the slightest. They are all passionate about cars and always willing to help me out or have a good conversation about cars etc
3CorsaMeal

3rd Sep 10 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

become an auto-electrican, local bloke is really good at it and in demand, he even started employing about 4-5 people now.

plus electrics is a useful skill, most people are scared of electrics
3CorsaMeal

3rd Sep 10 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by harrisp
quote:

that is rediculous. I am guessing you read of the back of halfords tin. Or can u tell me the correct mix for 2k laquer?

yes, halfords tins, p40 tin, p38 tin, got a little guide in magazine thats just seems common sense really. I did the same with detailing products/equipment, just read the labels and also looked on the internet.

i could google the 2k laquer mix if needed but i use the premixed stuff in spray cans
scottyp1989

3rd Sep 10 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
become an auto-electrican, local bloke is really good at it and in demand, he even started employing about 4-5 people now.

plus electrics is a useful skill, most people are scared of electrics

electrics is a usefull skill but if you become an auto electrician personally i would want something else i could fall back on aswell
weddy1988

3rd Sep 10 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 laqure to 1 hardener is it not?...i done a set of wheels and never put enough hardner in the mix and 2 month later i can still push my nail through the laqure FAIL lol
3CorsaMeal

3rd Sep 10 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all i really meant was you shouldn't need to do a course in order to repair some bodywork cheaply on your own car.

if your talking of opening a professional business then yes, i don't think reading the guides in halfords quite cuts it
Toby
Premium Member

3rd Sep 10 at 13:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i love it.... making life choices over whats going to save you a couple of quid modifying a shed
Firestate88

3rd Sep 10 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as for jobs in bodywork, there isn't really any (im qualified to do it but there just isn't the jobs for it) if you can get a big space in a field with nothing near you you could do work yourself, if not you'd need a proper spray booth (looking at around £5k+) then couple of proper spray guns (£100 - £250 each) then a compressor, at look work to get set up
as for mechanics i don't know the job situation but surely you could do mechanics work on your drive for alot of people?
DaveyLC

3rd Sep 10 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

yes, halfords tins, p40 tin, p38 tin, got a little guide in magazine thats just seems common sense really. I did the same with detailing products/equipment, just read the labels and also looked on the internet.

i could google the 2k laquer mix if needed but i use the premixed stuff in spray cans

Painting with acrylic rattle cans is NOTHING like painting with a gun and 2K... Even using a DA without fucking a pannel is a skill in its self.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » bodywork or mechanics? 22 database queries in 0.0157101 seconds