corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Conscription - would you want to bring it back to the UK?

Poll: Conscription - would you want to bring it back to the UK?
  Yes
  No

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Conscription - would you want to bring it back to the UK?
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
15th Sep 10 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For those of you that don't know what it means - conscription is the compulsory enrollment of people to some sort of public service. For the purposes of this thread, I'm talking about the army/navy/RAF etc.

Obviously it's not mandatory in the UK any more, but would you want to bring it back and if so why?
Whittie

15th Sep 10 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes.

I think after somebody has been seeking a job for 12 months, it should be mandatory to go in one of the services.
Whittie

15th Sep 10 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Claiming for 12 months*
Hammer

15th Sep 10 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, it's an antiquated practice. I would be happier if parents were allowed to skelp their kids arses without fear of recrimination, that would instil discipline at the correct age rather than forcing fully grown teenagers into camps ran by fear.
Neo

15th Sep 10 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Conscription - No

A system as Alex states - Yes

Steve
Premium Member

15th Sep 10 at 09:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
Yes.

I think after somebody has been seeking a job for 12 months, it should be mandatory to go in one of the services.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

15th Sep 10 at 09:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
Yes.

wouldnt work.

my dad was out of work for over 12month a few years ago, applied for loads of jobs but was denied because he was over qualified. not everyone is scamming.

he would have been useless in the forces
adiohead

15th Sep 10 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No. Not when this country is invading other countries illegally.
Steve
Premium Member

15th Sep 10 at 09:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tell you what, youve got a fucking lovely recycle bin
Ojc

15th Sep 10 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, have it like Finland that you have to do a years national service between the ages of 18-30
Ben D

15th Sep 10 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Conscription, No i don't think the majority of people today are mentally tough enough to deal with the pressures involved with life in the armed forces!
Sam
Premium Member

15th Sep 10 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben D
Conscription, No i don't think the majority of people today are mentally tough enough to deal with the pressures involved with life in the armed forces!

Some countries like Germany for example, give you the option of doing civilian type work for example admin work so you're not necessarily sent to a war zone.
Whittie

15th Sep 10 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham

he would have been useless in the forces

It's not just front line war they do mate, he could have done something useful, even if it was admin or wages side.
Root

15th Sep 10 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, you should not be forced into a position of war, however if it's forced into a position of employment that isn't neccessarily war then yes.

I was out of real work (excluding temp agency work) before my current job for a good year or two, I was actively seeking work all the time and couldn't find shit. I considered going in the army but I wouldn't be accepted as I have asthma..-_-

so instead I continued looking for work and FINALLY...found a great job.

Being forced into a position where your life is in danger though, should not be done.

ed

15th Sep 10 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd sooner go to prison than get involved in the mess that our military is in. I also fail to see what purpose conscription has.
3CorsaMeal

15th Sep 10 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not everyone, just the unachieving people, it could mess up the career path for the genius' amoungst us
Baskey

15th Sep 10 at 11:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The cost to operate it would be rediculous and the gain to the country would be small.

Terrible idea
Laney

15th Sep 10 at 11:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Without a doubt.

Either military of humanitarian service IMO.
Nath

15th Sep 10 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Baskey
The cost to operate it would be rediculous and the gain to the country would be small.

Terrible idea

Depends on what you get them to do though.
SXi_Tim

15th Sep 10 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes definately, send all life sentence prisoners to Afghanistan aswell!
Gary
Premium Member

15th Sep 10 at 13:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've voted yes, but...

I think it should be based on being on the dole for 12/18months, And also fr kids who are just blatant dickheads and get suspended etc. 3 suspensions and off to the army you go!! 
SetH

15th Sep 10 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes this would expose more young men to the art of bumming which is no bad thing.

[Edited on 15-09-2010 by SetH]
Shell
Premium Member

15th Sep 10 at 16:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by glb
I've voted yes, but...

I think it should be based on being on the dole for 12/18months, And also fr kids who are just blatant dickheads and get suspended etc. 3 suspensions and off to the army you go!! 
Yeah let's just hand the no hopers a gun. Also, people change. You're all horrendous for stereotyping on here. Conscription is a horrible idea, especially to basically punish those who can't find work. We need armed forces that are good at what they do. Throwing in a bunch if people forcibly, who don't want to be there and won't take 100% effort in the training is madness and would weaken the only defenses we have if something ever happened to the UK. Let's try thinking outside the box today folks.
Steve
Premium Member

15th Sep 10 at 16:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

basically be like the american army then
alan-g-w

15th Sep 10 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
No, it's an antiquated practice. I would be happier if parents were allowed to skelp their kids arses without fear of recrimination, that would instil discipline at the correct age rather than forcing fully grown teenagers into camps ran by fear.

Was going to say something along the lines of this, summed up nicely. The only reason anyone here's saying yes to it just now is because they don't have to do it.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Conscription - would you want to bring it back to the UK? 22 database queries in 0.0120771 seconds