corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Went karting today at Rye House and saw someone v.famous there.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Went karting today at Rye House and saw someone v.famous there.
Paul_J

User status: Offline
15th Sep 10 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was doing a test day for club 100 karting at Rye House. It was my first time in a 2 stroke gokart and first time at Rye House.

I was just catching a breath and having a quick break in the paddock, when I noticed a familiar face.

It was only bloody Damon Hill!

Damon was there with his son who was also testing in club 100 karts. To be fair most people there were in their own custom suits, helmets etc... taken very seriously I think.

I was just a few tenths off 'Hill's son, which aint too bad since it was my first time at the track and in that type of kart, I'm gonna go back and have a bit more of a practice before I enter a race. My fitness was far worse than everyone there... I could barely lift my arms by the end
chris_uk
Premium Member

15th Sep 10 at 17:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol

JonnyJ

15th Sep 10 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Damon was my hero when i was a young un
Paul_J

15th Sep 10 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was actually pretty awesome to see Damon Hill, but I didn't want to be a dick and be like 'HEY DAMON HILL!!!'

then him be like 'Can you please leave me alone, ffs'.
Ben J

15th Sep 10 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

His son races in the Ginetta Junior championship.
Recaro1

15th Sep 10 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know Rye house well as I used to race karts there when I was younger. Have done a few endurance events there too.

Its quite long, quite a few fast corners that will put a lot of pressure on your arms, especially in the TKm extremes club100 use.

Looked at using club100 when i wanted to go back to karting, instead I bought a rotax max. Barely use it really as I'm out on the motorbike so in hindsight club100 would have been the smarter option.

Paul_J

15th Sep 10 at 17:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Recaro ... I couldn't figure out how to take the hairpins without the kart bogging down too much.

To be fair my kart seemed fairly gutless on the straights period... but I would go through the hair pins behind someone else, same line and the kart would bog down.

Also that fast part out of the back, where you take the left hander over the kurbing, before the right hander... when I hit the kurbing the kart would get thrown quite wildly, but everyone seemed to take that line.

Think I'll just get my fitness up and go back next month or something.

Ben as you say, not sure what Josh was doing there as I've seen him on tv in Ginetta Junior. I guess he was just building up his karting experience or something? or maybe plans to return to karts?

Josh had a custom race suit and helmet etc. Most of the people there did
chris_uk
Premium Member

15th Sep 10 at 18:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get a car without power steering and your arms will soon be up to scratch
mattk

15th Sep 10 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what was it like being only the 2nd best driver there?
Paul_J

15th Sep 10 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
what was it like being only the 2nd best driver there?

How did you work that out...

1st. Damon?
2nd. Me?
3rd. Josh Hill?

Nah, I was fairly average today quite tragic... I need to practice and return.
AndyKent

15th Sep 10 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

15th Sep 10 at 18:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The long right hander at Rye is awesome, especially in the Club 100 karts - go in flat out and just as you reach the turn in point, lift off and straight back on to just start the back end sliding - definitely the quickest way round there!
Recaro1

15th Sep 10 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best thing to do is watch some vid's on youtube. Theres also some good guides on the interweb - http://www.karting1.co.uk/rye-house-track-guide.htm

How can i say this nicely, you a fattie?

The only problem with club100 is the kart you get is by luck. You dont know how it was driven before, if its been set up differently, etc

The hairpins are hard, you have to brake late and get on the throttle early. The exit is also quite large so use it as much as you can. Sounds like you were you were taking the back right - everyone launches their kart through that

Do you have a timing display on the kart or do you have to wait till you get back to the pits?
Paul_J

15th Sep 10 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The long right hander is alright, that's pretty easy... just go flat, let it drift out, turn in again later on...

I'm not fat Recaro, pretty average around 11 stone. 5 foot 10... could get myself a bit lighter though.

Yeah, someone said to me about swapping karts half way through, I wish I had now... my kart had nothing out of the bends compared to the ones I watch on youtube and I did have someone pass me down the main straight, when I'd already exited the final corner with good speed... I probably should've swapped it.

Oh well, I'll go again next month prob.

Recaro, any recommendations for karting gloves? I've cut up my hands quite bad and I'm racing at buckmore on the 26th of Sept and need some good gloves.
Recaro1

15th Sep 10 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah you should have been fine at 11 stone. sounds like the kart wasn't running right. If all the karts are the same then I wouldnt expect to be overtaken down the straight, maybe entering the corner but not on the actual straight.

Thats annoying when its your own kart and you know you've set something up wrong - sprocket, power valve, etc

What are you wearing now? I've just got a £20 pair from years ago. Have a look at http://www.gprdirect.com/kartwear/kart-gloves.html

Never been to buckmore, suppose to be very good. Mainly go to Camberley kart club (Blackbushe airport)

You racing in a team as endurance or sprints?
Paul_J

15th Sep 10 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you local then? I live in Crowthorne.

Is Camberley kart club indoors? or outdoors.

Buckmore I'm in a team, but I prefer racing as an individual.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

15th Sep 10 at 19:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never been to Rye House track, and I live about 10 minutes down the road ! Paul you should of popped into Hoddesdon and said hi.
Paul_J

15th Sep 10 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You live in Hoddesdon?

I thought you lived the other side of the world closer to folkstone
Paul_J

15th Sep 10 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^ replace world with london
Paul_J

15th Sep 10 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I think I'm going to book up for the 20th of oct I think ... so I'll c'ya then
willay
Premium Member

15th Sep 10 at 19:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah we have a couple of shops in hoddesdon but I'm in Roydon, I can hear all the bangers and karts from Rye House at the farm most days.
Paul_J

15th Sep 10 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what do your shops sell?
willay
Premium Member

15th Sep 10 at 19:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

kids shoes and clothes in one, and handbags and jewellery in the other.
Paul_J

15th Sep 10 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Recaro1
What are you wearing now? I've just got a £20 pair from years ago. Have a look at http://www.gprdirect.com/kartwear/kart-gloves.html

Never been to buckmore, suppose to be very good. Mainly go to Camberley kart club (Blackbushe airport)

You racing in a team as endurance or sprints?

I just had a look at blackbushe! Didn't even realise that place existed So close by! Awesome if you have your own kart!
KerryP

15th Sep 10 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul, we need to meet at Buckmore at some point and get Butler to come.

Im doing a 90 min endurance at Streatham next friday... i won the last one so get free entry to this one

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Went karting today at Rye House and saw someone v.famous there. 22 database queries in 0.0173390 seconds