corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Cheapest place to buy tools

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cheapest place to buy tools
alan-g-w

User status: Offline
21st Sep 10 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm starting a new job in a few weeks time. Anybody in the engineering trade that has to buy tools to work with, where's the cheapest place to buy stuff? Specifically, I'm looking for a decent half inch socket set, a breaker bar and some combi spanners. I don't like the Halfords stuff for working with day to day.

Cheers for any replies
Graeme
Premium Member

21st Sep 10 at 17:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why not halfords stuff for day to day, its just like any other tools and profesional stuff is lifetime guarentee.

Depends how much you want to spend, do you want lifetime guarentees etc.

Look at halfords, teng, draper, britoll.
craig8
Premium Member

21st Sep 10 at 17:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what type of engineering?

as greame said, halfords sockets and stuff are fine, ratchets are a bit filmsy sometimes, facom ratchets and spanners arent too bad if you dont want to spend too much

E36 328
SnK

21st Sep 10 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Snap-on. Simple. But be prepared to pay the prices!
I had a 1/2 inch general service kit, 1/2 inch ratchet breaker bar sockets extensions. WASTE OF £150 Traded it in today for £50 and bought snap on 3/8 sockets and a rail
Seriously you only need 1/2inch impact sockets for your air gun or air ratchet.
3/8 is more than capable for everything else, so get a smaller 3/8 ratchet and a longer handled 3/8 ratchet, along with a decent extension set. Also 1/4 inch is very handy for loads of things so just buy a general 1/4 service set, ratchet, extensions, sockets and torx sockets.
Can't beat snap-on spanners, but invest in some of the blue-point ratchet spanners. Very good spanners.

[Edited on 21-09-2010 by SnK]
corsadonk
Premium Member

21st Sep 10 at 18:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Honest Halfords stuff is fine, I work on all sorts of plant, and comercial stuff, I've spread the jaws on one 10mm spanner, and broke a few allen, and screw driver sockets, but after hitting it with a hammer, and had to replace the ractchet mech in my 3/8 which is like £4.

Sealey always have good deals on.
http://toolstoday.co.uk/shop.php?sec=cat&cat=35&load_page=Tool+Sets

Good luck, with the job
craig8
Premium Member

21st Sep 10 at 18:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SnK
Snap-on. Simple. But be prepared to pay the prices!
I had a 1/2 inch general service kit, 1/2 inch ratchet breaker bar sockets extensions. WASTE OF £150 Traded it in today for £50 and bought snap on 3/8 sockets and a rail
Seriously you only need 1/2inch impact sockets for your air gun or air ratchet.
3/8 is more than capable for everything else, so get a smaller 3/8 ratchet and a longer handled 3/8 ratchet, along with a decent extension set. Also 1/4 inch is very handy for loads of things so just buy a general 1/4 service set, ratchet, extensions, sockets and torx sockets.
Can't beat snap-on spanners, but invest in some of the blue-point ratchet spanners. Very good spanners.

[Edited on 21-09-2010 by SnK]

he asked for cheap, snap on is far from cheap and 3/8 being more than capable of everything else is a joke when you dont even know what type of engineering he is doing, i would love to see the look on peoples faces if all i carried was a 3/8 set

out of all the 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4" sets i have, only one 3/8" ratchet is snap on and i could have bought 3 decent ratchets for the cost of it, but as i was stuck it was the only option

alan, post up how much you roughly want to spend and what you would like and we can tell you what is available for your budget

E36 328
DaveyLC

21st Sep 10 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
I'm starting a new job in a few weeks time. Anybody in the engineering trade that has to buy tools to work with, where's the cheapest place to buy stuff? Specifically, I'm looking for a decent half inch socket set, a breaker bar and some combi spanners. I don't like the Halfords stuff for working with day to day.

Cheers for any replies

Nothing wrong with the Halfords Advanced stuff, you get a no quibble lifetime guarentee!

The only thing that I would say about halfords stuff is not enough of the sockets are 6 point.
craig8
Premium Member

21st Sep 10 at 18:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

forgot to mention, franklin tools are not too bad, fairly cheap and hold up to some serious abuse

E36 328
dean101287

21st Sep 10 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use King Dick spanners, dont often use rachets in work and if we use sockets they are usually on the end of an inpact gun. Iv got a halfords set for the house.
RKS

21st Sep 10 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you might be able to get new tools through your current work? might get a bit of a discount then??
bigron1988

21st Sep 10 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w

Cheers for any replies

Nothing wrong with the Halfords Advanced stuff, you get a no quibble lifetime guarentee!

The only thing that I would say about halfords stuff is not enough of the sockets are 6 point.

i use the halfords stuf and got to agree most are 12 point but they are still great tools
alan-g-w

21st Sep 10 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the replies, the job's as a mechanical maintenance engineer at a quarry so for a start I'd say I would need the piece of mind if anything of having half inch stuff. I know the point SnK's trying to make though, a good 3/8 set will be able to be pushed much more these days than they used to.

As for wanting stuff cheap, it's not that it's just the cheapEST place to be getting stuff - I have an idea of the types of prices I'm looking at already but there's always going to be somewhere that's cheaper than elsewhere. Thought with the broad range of people from all over the country I'd get a good idea of the best places.

I've not really got a budget for now but I know that I'll get what I pay for. To give people an idea of the kind of things I'm looking at, I saw these today:

Facom 1/2" drive socket set:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Facom-Large-1-2-Drive-Socket-Set-10-32mm-Ratchet-More-/360291972145?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item53e3133431

Britool 2 foot breaker bar:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRITOOL-E86-BREAKER-BAR-SWIVEL-24-HANDLE-1-2-SQUARE-/180559278329?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2a0a2bf0f9

14pc Silverline flexi ratchet spanner:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/14pc-Flexible-Head-Ratchet-Spanner-Set-Silverline-/360286780032?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item53e2c3fa80

Those are the types of things I'm looking at, as said it doesn't need to be cheap just good value for money.

And having worked with Halfords stuff with Aggreko in the last job I ten to steer clear, just don't like the feel of the stuff.

And corsadonk, thanks for the good wishes

[Edited on 21-09-2010 by alan-g-w]
Anton2K3

22nd Sep 10 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to be a mechanic, and got that Facom set. Never had any problems with it. As mentioned snap-on is excellent and ive never had any issues with their stuff. Britool I have no experience with, but heard good things.

As for the spanners, if your doing quarry work I assume your working on some pretty heavy machinery? Therefore I wouldn't recommend flex head ratchet spanners, i'd go for a set of snap-on flank drive spanners or something similar. Ratchet spanners cant take the same kind of abuse as normal spanners.
Hammer

22nd Sep 10 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dean101287
I use King Dick spanners

lol
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

22nd Sep 10 at 08:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC

I agree entirely with both points - My father and I both have their 150 pc set and the only thing I've managed to break was a 7mm hex bit undoing a brake calliper slide bolt - I think it was faulty though, as it snapped before I'd put a great deal of load on it at all.

I did take it back the very next day though and got a new one, no questions asked.

The only point I'd make is be careful with your receipts - when I worked at Halfords a year ago, the policy had recently changed that tools would only be exchanged with a receipt, as legally the lifetime warranty only stays with the original purchaser. Obviously, the manager can use their discretion to change the tools no questions asked, but the reason it was changed was they were having problems with people bringing in broken tools they had found in Halfords bins after they had already been exchanged.

Oh, and just to point out to those that don't know, the lifetime guarantee doesnt cover the ratchet mechs, for obvious reasons.
alan-g-w

22nd Sep 10 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Anton2K3
I used to be a mechanic, and got that Facom set. Never had any problems with it. As mentioned snap-on is excellent and ive never had any issues with their stuff. Britool I have no experience with, but heard good things.

As for the spanners, if your doing quarry work I assume your working on some pretty heavy machinery? Therefore I wouldn't recommend flex head ratchet spanners, i'd go for a set of snap-on flank drive spanners or something similar. Ratchet spanners cant take the same kind of abuse as normal spanners.

Good to hear about the Facom set, I thought it looked alright. Have worked with snap-on and britool before, really like the feel of the britool stuff - it's got a right 'chunky' feeling to it.

As for the ratchet spanners, I can see your point and do know that the ratchet mechanisms can fail - but I was using the silverline ones in the last place working on a production line. They were actually better than the britool ones imo, and you'll pay twice as much for the britools. I've come across this 10pc set of snap-on combi spanners:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Snap-On-Combination-Spanner-Set-Metric.-STD.-NEW_W0QQitemZ390238062441QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=143759909203&rvr_id=143759909203&cguid=349e073012b0a0aad385d905ff14ac0a

It's definetely something I'd be considering, but for the ease of use of the ratchets and the fact that they can take some abuse I'm still wavering.

If anyone's got any suggestions don't be afraid to post away
alan-g-w

23rd Sep 10 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

up for the day
3CorsaMeal

23rd Sep 10 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as for halfords tools, they are what i have.

the warrenty doesn't cover the rachet mech in things, its only covers you snapping the metal shaft in half

my 1/2" rachet keeps getting stuck/locks up and have to bang it on the floor, its pretty much brand new and hardly used so not impressed.

same happened to my mates one, he had to get new rachet part for it

not too impressed, i would of recommended them a few months ago, its only as i've used them recently i've gotten sick of them
Eddx14xe

23rd Sep 10 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
as for halfords tools, they are what i have.

the warrenty doesn't cover the rachet mech in things, its only covers you snapping the metal shaft in half

my 1/2" rachet keeps getting stuck/locks up and have to bang it on the floor, its pretty much brand new and hardly used so not impressed.

same happened to my mates one, he had to get new rachet part for it

not too impressed, i would of recommended them a few months ago, its only as i've used them recently i've gotten sick of them

Mine also does this
3CorsaMeal

23rd Sep 10 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think you and me should use our rachets for morris dancing
harrisp

23rd Sep 10 at 10:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have swapped a couple of ratchets at halfords.
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

23rd Sep 10 at 10:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eddx14xe
quote:

my 1/2" rachet keeps getting stuck/locks up

Mine also does this

It's true that the warranty doesn't cover the ratchet mechanisms, but that's due to wear and tear - obviously, seeing as its a metal on metal part that only works due to friction between the teeth, it will wear out eventually, and I wouldn't expect it to be covered.

However, if yours is only a few weeks old and is in otherwise good condition, I'd take it back and request a new one as it quite simply doesn't work. I'm sure if you're civil and pleasant about it, the manager will swap it over for you without a problem - at least, I know all of my old managers would have done.
Eddx14xe

23rd Sep 10 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom_simes
quote:
quote:

Mine also does this

It's true that the warranty doesn't cover the ratchet mechanisms, but that's due to wear and tear - obviously, seeing as its a metal on metal part that only works due to friction between the teeth, it will wear out eventually, and I wouldn't expect it to be covered.

However, if yours is only a few weeks old and is in otherwise good condition, I'd take it back and request a new one as it quite simply doesn't work. I'm sure if you're civil and pleasant about it, the manager will swap it over for you without a problem - at least, I know all of my old managers would have done.

Mine has been like it since i got it, but it hardly gets used so im not too bothered about it
alan-g-w

23rd Sep 10 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exact reason why I don't want halfords stuff - I was working with guys that had the halfords ratchet spanners and they were packing in after only a few weeks use. And the ratchet mechanism isn't covered by the warranty either so they were basically stuck with combi spanners that they paid double what they should have for. As a comparison, there were people with Britool, Blue Point, Silverline etc and they were all doing the exact same job but didn't pack in. And even with the warranty on Halfords stuff, the place I'm working is on site accomodation with the quarry only accessible by sea and the only way to get back to civilisation is a 45min boat journey. And I don't think Oban has a halfords

Anyone in any engineering trades got any recommendations?
3CorsaMeal

23rd Sep 10 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom_simes
quote:
quote:

Mine also does this

it was in nice condition until i have had to bang it on the concrete floor to make it work again

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Cheapest place to buy tools 23 database queries in 0.0156131 seconds