corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Joined a GYM advice please (now had first sesh)

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Joined a GYM advice please (now had first sesh)
SteveoBC
Premium Member

User status: Offline
27th Sep 10 at 18:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey guys

Just joined a gym at my fitness is shot to pieces. Been busy at work for like 8months solid

Never been to a gym before but couldnt get an induction booked until friday but wanna get started tomorrow night

any tips/machines to get myself eased into this when i go tomorrow after work

aiming to go everynight this week including friday but have no clue whats best to start of with or to use

any help would be mega

cheers!

[Edited on 28-09-2010 by SteveoBC]
Jake

27th Sep 10 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you want to get massive or just sort your fitness out?
SteveoBC
Premium Member

27th Sep 10 at 19:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jake
do you want to get massive or just sort your fitness out?

get fit and lose some pounds then will think about getting toned
p

27th Sep 10 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Slowly but surely, just take it easy for the first few times then build it up bit by bit. That goes for weights and cardio.
John

27th Sep 10 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't do what I do and think that because the starting weight it getting easier you can just stick 15kg onto everything, nearly killed myself tonight.
SteveoBC
Premium Member

27th Sep 10 at 20:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

think i may stick to cardio first i know jack shit about weights, probs damage myself onthe equipment knowing me

will wait til friday induction so i know im using the gear properly
LukeD

27th Sep 10 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just take it easy and go around all the machines in the first week or two so you feel comfortable with all them. Then after that make yourself a timetable with different things each day and gradually build up bit by bit
bubble

28th Sep 10 at 11:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when i joined i let myself go easy for the first few days, then start using more equipment as the days go on.

i started doing just cardio, primarily bikes, but then went onto cross trainers.

then i started to use the weights on fixed machines, so like the fixed bench presses and pec decks, and tricep dips, that sort of thing.

then i bought a mini notepad, and recorded what i had done each day, and tried to increase the next time.

i also researched different muscle groups online, and each day i work a different muscle group otherwise the body becomes wise to a routine.

im just about to go and will be doin 30 mins cardio, then today im working chest and shoulders so i have got planned dumb bell bench presses, 10 x27.5kg, 8x30kg, 6x32.5kg and 2x40kg. (each hand). will then jump onto fixed bench machine, but on inclines and do similar higher weight lower reps, then jump onto swingin rope machine and then pec dec front and reverse, then do another 10 minutes relaxed cardio to slow down.

once u get the bug its extremely enjoyable
SteveoBC
Premium Member

28th Sep 10 at 20:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well went the gym, found it a little intimidating at first

but got stuck in, my sister's bf is a personal trainer and suggested 45min workout max and just do cardio at first

15mins on the bike, 20mins on the cross trainer and 5mins on the treadmill for a warmdown, all in all surprised i was up to it as I have not done a shred of exercise in 8months (bad I kno, hense why I joined the gym lol)

but yeh burned a shed of calories and defo can keep this up everyday after work so quite pleased

sisters bf said to keep my heartrate between 140-60 but kept averaging 170ish for some reason lol

same tomorrow!
SAL
Premium Member

28th Sep 10 at 21:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like bubble said, really good idea to make a note of what you feel capible ov

I use a workout from myprotein which I have shown a few personal trainers, they all agreed it was quite good so iv kinda stuck to it.

SteveoBC
Premium Member

28th Sep 10 at 21:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As iv said tho wanna slim down a bit first

then think about getting toned
bubble

28th Sep 10 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SteveoBC

dont slim down to much. body is better at converting fat to muscle rather than growing muscle from nada.
Dan
Premium Member

29th Sep 10 at 06:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The body cannot convert fat to muscle.

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Laney

29th Sep 10 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

The usual meaning of "toned" is decreased body fat and increased muscle.

Get someone to show you how to squat, deadlift, press and bench properly and forget the cardio. Oh, and drink milk. Lots of it.
bubble

29th Sep 10 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
The body cannot convert fat to muscle.

i explained myself wrong, i mean like if you have some fat the body will burn it and use it as energy. i should have explained better!
SAL
Premium Member

29th Sep 10 at 22:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Laney
quote:

Get someone to show you how to squat, deadlift, press and bench properly and forget the cardio. Oh, and drink milk. Lots of it.

If he needs to slim down cardio is the way forward, can never understand when there are fatty people on the weights ? surly bench presses wont loose a beer belly
ed

29th Sep 10 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love cardio. I think I'm actually addicted to running now

(shifts the beer belly too )
John

30th Sep 10 at 06:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stavs
quote:
quote:

If he needs to slim down cardio is the way forward, can never understand when there are fatty people on the weights ? surly bench presses wont loose a beer belly

Because weights burn no energy at all
Dan
Premium Member

30th Sep 10 at 06:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also. More muscle = faster fat burning

Laney

30th Sep 10 at 07:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dan
Also. More muscle = faster fat burning

This.

The only cardio I'd consider worthwhile is sprinting (up hill if possible) and prowler/sledge pulling/pushing.

Read anything you can by Dave Tate, Louie Simmons and Zac Even-esh.
Dan
Premium Member

30th Sep 10 at 09:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id recommend fasted (before first meal of the day) HIIT running for no more than about 10mins of 30sec sprint 30 sec jog. 3 times per week (non weight days)

Id only suggest this as it worked wonders for me.

I really should get back involved in this gym malarky, but i just cant find the enthusiasm

bubble

30th Sep 10 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stavs
quote:
quote:

hmm, i lost 3 stone in 3 months and ive been doing loads of weights. have been doin cardio as well.
SteveoBC
Premium Member

30th Sep 10 at 09:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Reason I wanna slim first is I cant see me ever seeing a six pack or whatever with a beer gut in the way??
Dan
Premium Member

30th Sep 10 at 09:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best method, by far, is to build muscle, during which time you will be loosing small amounts of fat each month. It will take alot longer to see the results, but when you do, you will already be alot bigger.

It all depends what your goal is though

SteveoBC
Premium Member

30th Sep 10 at 09:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lose weight primarily

Getting "massive" is not a massive pritority

just being trim and a bit of subtle muscle definition

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Joined a GYM advice please (now had first sesh) 24 database queries in 0.0149279 seconds