corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Anyone jointly own a car with a friend?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anyone jointly own a car with a friend?
Kano

User status: Offline
10th Nov 10 at 22:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive been after a bike powered kit car for a while and I have a mate who is also keen on getting one. Hes been in touch tonight with the idea of buying one between us and splitting running costs etc. Hes the most trust worthy person I know but I cant help but think I wouldn't be happy not owning it outright. We've found the car etc but I just cant decide whether to go for it or not.

Its the only way I can afford to buy one at the moment and hes in the same boat so if we dont go in together on one neither of us will be getting one for next year.

Anyone done anything similair or any opinions?
Pete_vxl

10th Nov 10 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dougie from trix and stevie done it with the track corsa, maybe ask one of them.

Thing is your only going to use it on nice days, the kind of day you want it all to yourself and probably wont want anyone else in the car, or atleast thats what i would want.
John

10th Nov 10 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't mind if I knew for a fact they'd take as much care of it as I did.

Otherwise I'd probably get quickly pissed off which you don't really want to end up.
Kano

10th Nov 10 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

Otherwise I'd probably get quickly pissed off which you don't really want to end up.

That wouldn't be an issue, hes the most anal person I know, a bit like me. We've talked about simple rules etc to make it work like sharing repair bills etc but things like tyres come out of our own pocket if we ruin a set. I work on a rota and our days off would only overlap once every 3 weeks so plenty time to have it on our own but at the same time I think we'd go out together with it as much as possible.
Norcy91

10th Nov 10 at 22:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldn't only one of you be able to go on the V5? So whoevers on that would have legal ownership of the car and could easy do a fast one on the other person... He might be trust worthy but not everyone stays friends, and something like this would make things more complicated in my opinion.

[Edited on 10-11-2010 by Norcy91]
c20let

10th Nov 10 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't do it.
John G

10th Nov 10 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kano
quote:

That wouldn't be an issue, hes the most anal person I know, a bit like me. We've talked about simple rules etc to make it work like sharing repair bills etc but things like tyres come out of our own pocket if we ruin a set. I work on a rota and our days off would only overlap once every 3 weeks so plenty time to have it on our own but at the same time I think we'd go out together with it as much as possible.

sounds like an ideal situation if the above is the situation, id share with my closest mates, what you going to do about storage?
harrisp

10th Nov 10 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Norcy91
Wouldn't only one of you be able to go on the V5? So whoevers on that would have legal ownership of the car and could easy do a fast one on the other person... He might be trust worthy but not everyone stays friends, and something like this would make things more complicated in my opinion.

V5 isnt proof of ownership.
taylorboosh

10th Nov 10 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

what ever happened to trust, respect and decentness... your mate sounds like the perfect person to own a car with. maybe even make it a tad more special that its something you and your mate have together, like a hobby/project
Norcy91

10th Nov 10 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by harrisp
quote:

V5 isnt proof of ownership.

When someone says 'My cars been stolen' to pc plod, i think they're likely to go by the name on the V5 than the other guy saying 'We both own it'
Norcy91

10th Nov 10 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by john-d
quote:

what ever happened to trust, respect and decentness... your mate sounds like the perfect person to own a car with. maybe even make it a tad more special that its something you and your mate have together, like a hobby/project

I didn't mean it to sound offensive to him or his mate, i'm sure they could be fine sharing it, but it's not something i'd do as there's always the chance something like that can happen.
Ian
Site Administrator

10th Nov 10 at 22:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Two people can go halves paying but you only need one person to massively crash it.
Kano

10th Nov 10 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John G
quote:
quote:

sounds like an ideal situation if the above is the situation, id share with my closest mates, what you going to do about storage?

He has a garage where he currently stores his Focus RS but thats being sold so hes happy to store the kit car. I have no worries about him turning into a cock as he really isn't that type of person. I'm more surprised he trusts me enough after seeing the way I drive at times.

Might go and view the car and take it from there..
Kano

10th Nov 10 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Two people can go halves paying but you only need one person to massively crash it.

Thats what insurance is for. Or the other person could have the option to buy the other out if they preferred.
taylorboosh

10th Nov 10 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah just get an agreed value insurance policy... id go for it. how much you looking at spending
sand-eel

10th Nov 10 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't do it!!!
3CorsaMeal

10th Nov 10 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have done it with that land rover project. me and a mate paid half each for it. but since then he has spent alot more on all the new parts for it.

Kano

10th Nov 10 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
yeah just get an agreed value insurance policy... id go for it. how much you looking at spending

Around £6500, so £3250ish each.. Not a huge amount of risk but still a lot of money for a toy.

We've already said if it became an issue then we can just sell the car or buy each other out so I cant see too much risk, I'd just rather it was all mine.
taylorboosh

10th Nov 10 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if its just a toy you may aswell share it and half the asscociated costs. at that sort of cash if he has a frs i doubt he wouldnt be afford to buy you out if the worst happened
Kano

10th Nov 10 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
if its just a toy you may aswell share it and half the asscociated costs. at that sort of cash if he has a frs i doubt he wouldnt be afford to buy you out if the worst happened

Its a mk1 RS but he has just bought a Z4m so hes not short of a bit of cash.. It will be 2012 till I can afford one myself so this might be a good way of getting into it before I go it alone.
3CorsaMeal

10th Nov 10 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you can afford it then do it. why worry about the future now. cross that bridge when you there
taylorboosh

10th Nov 10 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

plus this way you have somewhere to keep said car
richc

10th Nov 10 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldnt having 'been there and done that!'

I dunno if it was the person i did it with (likes his own way alot) but it just quiet didnt work. Everything thing that was done to it, was because 'he' thought it was best!

Didnt really like it tbh!
Ian
Site Administrator

10th Nov 10 at 23:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Thats what insurance is for.
And if he crashes it and its insured in your name, your insurance record has that on it.
wwwNOOBcom

10th Nov 10 at 23:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont do it

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Anyone jointly own a car with a friend? 22 database queries in 0.3925691 seconds