corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Protein Shakes

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Protein Shakes
Whittie

User status: Offline
14th Dec 10 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been having PHD Synergy straight after the gym session. (4pm-ish)

http://monstersupplements.com/store/p/2809/1/PhD-Nutrition-Synergy-Iso7-:-2kg-+-FREE-Blender-Cup-with-wire-ball.html

And some random weight gainer from holland & barrets in the mornings about 11am.

I'm trying to put weight on, i'm eating well, have a decent diet as well as drinking around 6 pints of full fat milk a day ( + Shakes )

What shakes should I be having to help gain weight? I was speaking to a mate of mine who has a similar diet, minus the milk and started on creatine 2 weeks ago, hes put on 2lbs since then. I know it boosts energy etc, but does it really add weight?

I really have no idea where to start, or what I need. Whether its high carbs or high protein in the shakes, could do with some advice...

Thanks
Hammer

14th Dec 10 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you use any L-Glutamine?

Coming from a complete novice that went to the gym for 2 months and now is back on the burger diet, I found that to be an excellent supplement.

It may have been a placebo but I felt a lot of growth in my upper body when using it.
Whittie

14th Dec 10 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No mate, I honestly know bugger all about any supplements. Pretty ignorant to all the different types tbh!

Just after some solid advice, or even some tried & tested supplements.

Just googled L-Glutamine, and can be taken in tablet form. Doesn't seem to have great benefit other than control the protien metabolism, i'll see what else is suggested, but if you felt growth, then i might give it a go!
BarnshaW

14th Dec 10 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

macdonalds 3 times a day and no excerise
Hammer

14th Dec 10 at 14:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
No mate, I honestly know bugger all about any supplements. Pretty ignorant to all the different types tbh!

Just after some solid advice, or even some tried & tested supplements.

Just googled L-Glutamine, and can be taken in tablet form. Doesn't seem to have great benefit other than control the protien metabolism, i'll see what else is suggested, but if you felt growth, then i might give it a go!

Give it a try and see what you think, it's naturally occuring so it does no harm anyway and you only take a very small amount in with your shakes.
Jamie Walby

14th Dec 10 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can taking all these suppliements not fuck you up long term? What happens if you stop using them?

Surely it cant be healthy taking stuff like that to alter your bodies natural workings?
Hammer

14th Dec 10 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd agree aye but the worst thing science has found L Glutamine to produce is a sore stomach.
Whittie

14th Dec 10 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Walby
Can taking all these suppliements not fuck you up long term? What happens if you stop using them?

Surely it cant be healthy taking stuff like that to alter your bodies natural workings?

I dunno tbh. It's more convinience if anything, as when im in work I could find myself wasting half an hour cooking something & eating it. With a shake it takes 2 mins. I look at it as a meal replacement I guess.
BarnshaW

14th Dec 10 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant replace solid proteins with liquid proteins though, still need hard solid protein
Jamie Walby

14th Dec 10 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ill be honest I know sod all about supplements. Got a couple of mates that take them, one got seriously into it and shat himself on a good few occasions

You say you view it as a meal replacement but do they contain a lot of chemicals that obviously wouldnt be found in a normal meal?

Are they a relatively modern thing, how long have they been around for? Is it possible you could experiance some negative effects from taking stuff like this 30-40 years down the line?
Hammer

14th Dec 10 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whey protein is a by product of cheese.

I was of the train of thought it would be bad for you no matter what a certain scientist said but the majority suggest if anything they have anti-flammatory and anti-cancer properties.
weedon

14th Dec 10 at 16:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just make your own shakes by adding Oats with a dash of extra virgin olive oil.
You probably want to get a differnt weight gainer to the Holland and barrets one Prefer the USN products myself. Cottage cheese or Peanut butter on toast is always a winner for a quick bite to eat aswell.
Carl

14th Dec 10 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Glutamine is in PHD synergy anyway as is creatine, it's an all in one compared to the usual stardard whey protein.
Jake

14th Dec 10 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a mates mates mate had 3 shakes daily for a year next thing his kidneys fell out of his arse
A2H GO

14th Dec 10 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jake
a mates mates mate had 3 shakes daily for a year next thing his kidneys fell out of his arse

Ive been on 3 shakes a day for the past 3-4 years, no kidney problems at all, thats bollocks
Wrighty

14th Dec 10 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

synergys a good all in one but have you considered a gainer like pharma gain thats packed with the cals you need. not sure what the cal difference is between synergy and pharma gain but pretty sure synergys nowhere near 350 cals for 3 scoops. using milk in ya shake aswell. that will add a lot of cals.

also have you done your homework on gaining, ie the 2g of protein to every lb you weigh etc? 1g to maintain? 2g to gain is it? cant remember!

creatines already present in your body..not sure adding more works or not.
(from wikipedia)
Creatine is not an essential nutrient, as it is manufactured in the human body from L-arginine, glycine, and L-methionine. On that note are you taking any BCAA?
Tom G

14th Dec 10 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try some of the cnp stuff whittie! In the last gym I went to where they was all big bodybuilders/competed in strong men, they really rated it!

Doesn't creatine make you retain more water too so that's what his results could be a little from?
sc0ott

15th Dec 10 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

creatine more or less fills your muscles up with water but your body wont use all the creatine you take. so those who take more than enough its pointless.
maybe worth looking into some testosterone booster?

eating a lot is a better weight gaining factor than drinking shakes and loads of full fat milk.
A2H GO

15th Dec 10 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can get 12 Maximuscle Promax bars from here for £1.99 delivered. Its a good start:

http://www.hotukdeals.com/vouchers/free-10-maximuscle-no-min-spend/826724
JonnyJ

15th Dec 10 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
quote:

Ive been on 3 shakes a day for the past 3-4 years, no kidney problems at all, thats bollocks

I'd like to introduce you to a thing known as sarcasm...
noshua

15th Dec 10 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They only have 6g of protein in

I'm no expert but I'd say you would be better off with x many meals and x shakes rather than eating protein bars as well
A2H GO

15th Dec 10 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua

I'm no expert but I'd say you would be better off with x many meals and x shakes rather than eating protein bars as well

Your better off with x many meals, x many shakes AND these. You cant live off them, they're a snack
A2H GO

15th Dec 10 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
quote:
quote:

I'd like to introduce you to a thing known as sarcasm...

Oh right, i actually thought they dropped out his bum hole
noshua

16th Dec 10 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Your better off with x many meals, x many shakes AND these. You cant live off them, they're a snack

lol - yeah I know that, but 6g? You'd be better of drinking 200ml of milk.
A2H GO

16th Dec 10 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

lol - yeah I know that, but 6g? You'd be better of drinking 200ml of milk.

But the point is you get 24 bars for £1.99. 24x 200ml of milk would cost a lot more than £2.

EDIT- For the normal price i would not be recommending these.

[Edited on 16-12-2010 by A2H GO]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Protein Shakes 23 database queries in 0.0145531 seconds