corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Long Commute Office Jobs...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Long Commute Office Jobs...
dannymccann

User status: Offline
15th Dec 10 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Current situation - 22, homeowner, to be married in August 2011 (so not very 'footloose')

Does anyone have such a long commute that they rent a place near their job for the week and then come 'home' at the weekend...

Im considering such an opportunity at my workplace, im 99.9% going for it but the only viable (physically and financially) way of doing it is to rent a bedsit in said location and travel down on a monday morning / back on friday evening.

In financial terms I would be doubling my annual pay, but seeing no net benefit due to the second property costs (no worse either), however the net benefit to my CV could well be worth the effort, if only for 6 months / a year with a view to a potential permanent relocation after that amount of time...

Bit serious for CS I know, but anyone got any thoughts?
fir3vip3r

15th Dec 10 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

uve got ure bike licence get a cg 125 and revel in the extra monies!
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
15th Dec 10 at 17:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You definitely ruled out moving there properly?
dannymccann

15th Dec 10 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Commute there and back everyday on a 125? Im talking 330 mile roundtrip, which is roughly 8 - 10 hours with M25 / M1 traffic

Hence the physically impossible nature of my argument above.

And yes I have looked into public transport and hotes and it is wildly more expensive...
dannymccann

15th Dec 10 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
You definitely ruled out moving there properly?

For now, yes, as I only just (March 2010) purchased a property and would see no gain from selling right now.

FYI - I have bought and live in Lincoln, I would be moving to Surrey or surrounding area, the money I could sell my house for (roughly £135k before fees) wouldnt buy me a parking space down there...

edit - 5% equity as well so no deposit either...

[Edited on 15-12-2010 by dannymccann]
emicen

15th Dec 10 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm considering similar, working way down south but remaining based in Glasgow.

From talking to some of the contractors here who have been doing such a thing, you have to be really sure you want it. They have basically said the strain it puts on your relationships and upheaval in family life WILL make you question whether its worth it or not sooner or later.

I have next to nothing keeping me here, but I'm dragging my feet a touch because I'd be moving to the other end of the country away from all my mates to do a job where most of the workforce will hate me Double the money makes it tempting, but at the same time, its a lot of life upheaval when I'm not that sure its definately what I want to do long term. Having said that, I'm a subbie, if it was a permanent job offering me real career progression chances, I'd probably be a lot more keen.

If you did do it for the short period of time and upgrade your CV, would you be able to move back to where you are now and get the benefit of it? Seems a bit odd its related to your current role and would lead to a higher paid role, but the intermediate step is only available elsewhere?
fir3vip3r

15th Dec 10 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that is quite a commute. And yes not physically possible! As ian is moving completely out of the question. Cant see your quality of life being great moving for 5 days a week etc.
dannymccann

15th Dec 10 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Moving down would add considerably more to my CV than currently and would see me gain a hefty increase in pay in / around Lincoln / Nottingham areas. Having said that, a more permanent move to the M25 belt would be great as my partner's career prospects (Events Management) almost cease to exist up here, but the options to her down there would be potentially endless.
emicen

15th Dec 10 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
Moving down would add considerably more to my CV than currently and would see me gain a hefty increase in pay in / around Lincoln / Nottingham areas. Having said that, a more permanent move to the M25 belt would be great as my partner's career prospects (Events Management) almost cease to exist up here, but the options to her down there would be potentially endless.

Thats very true, everyone I know who works in events management has eventually migrated to within the M25/London itself even though a lot of the events they do are outside London and even back up here.
dannymccann

15th Dec 10 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As I say, financially after covering all my costs I would be on pretty much exactly the same disposable income as I am right now, which seems mental. It isnt the jump in salary thats drawing my interest, the its the benefit to my CV for the future, the jump in salary just makes it possible
Doug

15th Dec 10 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about your partner?

I know she might like the idea of getting you out of the house all week but I am not sure I would want to put that strain on a young relationship.

daymoon
Premium Member

15th Dec 10 at 17:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what if you both find a job aroun m25 and let your house to some one?
dannymccann

15th Dec 10 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daymoon

This is another option I have considered but not yet thrown into the mix as it is not guaranteed income, I'm not keen on 'what ifs' but would definetly look at it as an option long term. Problem is it would have to go on an interest only product (I do not like these) and rent for at least £600PCM to actually make a profit from it (then theres the tax on the income from it which could potentially push me into the higher tax bracket) otherwise it would only break even, but it is still equity I guess...

Doug - we managed it no problem when I moved away for uni for 3 years (we've been together for over 6 years now), seeing each on weekends. Sarah has already said it would take some getting used to but wouldn't stop me going for it because she can see the potential future benefits of the move...
emicen

15th Dec 10 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
quote:
Originally posted by daymoon

This is another option I have considered but not yet thrown into the mix as it is not guaranteed income, I'm not keen on 'what ifs' but would definetly look at it as an option long term. Problem is it would have to go on an interest only product (I do not like these) and rent for at least £600PCM to actually make a profit from it (then theres the tax on the income from it which could potentially push me into the higher tax bracket) otherwise it would only break even, but it is still equity I guess...

Doug - we managed it no problem when I moved away for uni for 3 years (we've been together for over 6 years now), seeing each on weekends. Sarah has already said it would take some getting used to but wouldn't stop me going for it because she can see the potential future benefits of the move...

If you swap to interest only and the rent only just covered this or slightly more, I believe you would only be liable for income tax on the element in excess of the amount to cover the mortgage interest
Tomnova16
Premium Member

15th Dec 10 at 17:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have to commute from the workshop to the office everyday

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
dannymccann

15th Dec 10 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interesting Emicen, something I have not looked into at all yet so no real knowledge of BTL at the moment...
daymoon
Premium Member

15th Dec 10 at 17:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tomnova16
i have to commute from the workshop to the office everyday

Mertin

15th Dec 10 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did this although it was only 70 miles away and was just for 6 months training in the yard. Although next year I may have to consider this again or commute everyday if iv to be based in the office
dannymccann

15th Dec 10 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive already said to myself if the job was worth it Mertin I would be willing to drive that distance, probably a bit more daily to do it, on a good road in good conditions 70 miles is only an hour and a bit commute away which is nothing really if it pays / leads to greater things...
Whittie

15th Dec 10 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did Llandudno to Blackpool, daily for just under 2 months.

(120 Miles each way).

Absolute nightmate, the money that went on fuel could have gone on renting a place. Ended up completely fucking it off.

Leaving at half 5, to get there about 8am, and leaving the office about 4 to get home for gone half 6.

Spent around £25-30 a day on fuel (bmw x5), the last few weeks of doing it, I stayed in a small hotel for a few days ( which was £40 a night), bur was so much more refreshed.....

I seriously advise you not to do the commute, if it's financially viable, rent. However this could have strain on your relationship depending on how tight you two are.... Maybe just start by breaking it up a few days a week... Go to work monday and come home, go tuesday and stay in a B&B untill thursday... etc?

Seems quite extreme to rent.

[Edited on 15-12-2010 by Whittie]
dannymccann

15th Dec 10 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to be clear there is no way I am considering a daily commute of 330 miles on M1/M25 traffic, it will be 4 hours either way.

Hotels, at the moment, are not a viable option, only Travelodge IF the £29 a night room stays on, that is a big IF, and it still leaves me short on money both in accomodation and eating out at night every night.
Cole

15th Dec 10 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This at the same place you was at the other week Danny
dannymccann

15th Dec 10 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Correct Coley, just up the road Michael Essien and Cheryl Cole's house, might ask if I can borrow one of their spare rooms...
DannyB
Premium Member

15th Dec 10 at 19:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is this some sort of job that you couldn't get closer to home? extra property, time away from your fiance etc is going to be hard work.
Whittie

15th Dec 10 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£580 a month in the hotel. If you ask, they may do you a deal.... and get a hundred quid knocked off... Say you get it for £500 per month.

Cheapo flat somewhere is going to be at least £375 a month, but ontop of that you have alllll your bills. So you're looking at £550ish, unless you rent a complete shithole.

Maybe have a look at some flat / houseshares? might get a decent one for £50 a week or something??

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Long Commute Office Jobs... 23 database queries in 0.1917281 seconds