corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Low mileage older cars - what's the opinion?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Low mileage older cars - what's the opinion?
deano87

User status: Offline
25th Feb 11 at 20:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have the opportunity to trade in my Punto for an older car, but lower mileage and potentially releasing a bit of cash personally.

The car is a 1.4 16v '04 Fiesta Flame. It has about 33k miles on the clock and used to be owned by a pensioner from new. Reckon the previous owner barely took it above 60mph!

Difficult to sell but is this likely to give me loads of trouble? Or if it has had the necessary annual services and the cambelt isn't due even by manufacturers guidelines even by low mileage, should it be ok?!

Just gauging opinion really
John

25th Feb 11 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It could be better or worse.

Would it not be more cost effective and more appropriate for your needs to get something in warranty?
deano87

25th Feb 11 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not really as I'd have the monthly outgoing and wouldn't really be any better off, as I'd need the money I get from selling the Punto to put down on a deposit to reduce monthly repayments.

The idea of selling up the Punto is to try and get on the property ladder. Or just move out!
brebaz

25th Feb 11 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dad has just bought a 2001 fiesta with 24k on the clo ks with one owner, who was his mates dad, for 1k. I looked on ebay befor and one sold for 2500

[Edited on 25-02-2011 by brebaz]
Pete_vxl

25th Feb 11 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i judge age aswell as mileage, could be 10 years old with 5,000 miles but belts and things still need changed maybe every 5 years etc
deano87

25th Feb 11 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pete_vxl
i judge age aswell as mileage, could be 10 years old with 5,000 miles but belts and things still need changed maybe every 5 years etc

Which I could afford to get done. iirc Fords are 100k. But they say that low mileage cars should have it done sooner.

If it needs a load of service work, tyres, tax etc then it won't really be worth my while.
jr

25th Feb 11 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

04 isnt old
deano87

25th Feb 11 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
04 isnt old

I know it isn't, but compared to the 10k - 12k average mileage it's old and low mileage
Joe

25th Feb 11 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

100k or 10 years on the belt.

You are a proper worrier Deano. I just want you to cut loose and go wild.
Pete_vxl

25th Feb 11 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you thought about mpg?......
Chris x

25th Feb 11 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3CorsaMeal

25th Feb 11 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it will blow up as its old
Jakey
Premium Member

25th Feb 11 at 20:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd prefer to buy 3 year old car with 100,000 than a 10 year old car with 3,000 miles on. No idea really why.
Chris
Premium Member

25th Feb 11 at 20:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Low mileage some times in not a good thing granted the engine has done less miles, but more like to have never been run for a long time, with a lot of short journeys so possible more damage to the engine. So thats what its used to, so once you start drivning it normal its going to get a shock and break.

My nans can had mega low miles on it and 1st gear had never been used as it was too much trouble to change so she only used 2 and 3.
micra_pete
Premium Member

25th Feb 11 at 21:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
04 isnt old

I thought this Jr, currently got a 2000 and 2001 car outside. Seem to spend every weekend on one or the other though
deano87

25th Feb 11 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Pete_vxl
Have you thought about mpg?......

Yes it'll be worse than the Punto and less fun to drive
deano87

25th Feb 11 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joe
100k or 10 years on the belt.

You are a proper worrier Deano. I just want you to cut loose and go wild.

You mean well Joe but we'll never see eye to eye I did go wild and bought something Italian. What a fuck up that was.
Eck
Premium Member

26th Feb 11 at 00:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Punto was wild? Fuck me.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
26th Feb 11 at 02:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As you yourself have proven, any car including newer ones with low miles can give you a big bill. If you want a cheap car that is trouble free, finance a Kia or something. If you just want it cheap, be prepared for fixing it or scrapping it if that costs too much. There is no such thing as a completely cheap trouble free car, whatever it's history.

I would consider low mileage to be a benefit in terms of general condition, of course it would be better but I also know of people who have bought low mileage cars thinking it's a safe bet to find they're just as likely to fail and still need the same degree of maintenance. Just buy a good car, whatever that constitutes.
3CorsaMeal

26th Feb 11 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alfas break ALL the time, never buy one of them as you will never get anyway, you will always break down, you will spend thousands repairing it.

if you buy an mg the headgasket will go and will always be going, making it undrivable 99% of the time, costing thousands

Don't buy a fiat, they aren't made well, they will always fall apart and you won't be able to drive it, it will sit around being repaired all the time

NEVER buy a 6spd vauxhall as the gearbox will break, it will be low mileage and you will be thousands of pounds out of pocket

DO NOT buy a subaru impreza, the engine will melt, it will cost you thousands and you will be gutted about it.

I Deffo wouldn't buy anything with over 80,000miles, it will be literally hanging onto life by its last thread and could totally implode at any given moment, costing you thousands.

Just some rumours to fed the fear people have of cars.

A punto 1.4 16v is shite, fiesta is shite, honestly, if you buy something decent, not just new it will be a good car.

thats the problem with newer cars, your spending more than you need to, just for peace of mind.

when in reality, how often do you see a car broken down? hardly ever. Its all in peoples minds.
Jambo

26th Feb 11 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A cheap car is non existent tbh. Every car if it breaks can cost alot to fix, labour is expensive and parts are always expensive. People will always say don't get a vx/bmw/pug/bentley/KIA as the parts are expensive. Parts are expensive for ALL cars. Your punto proved that, Fiat "cheap" car was well, expensive.

Motoring is expensive, there's no surefire way of avoiding it. The sensible thing to do is go down the controlled cost motoring route and lease a brand new car with maintenance but as you probably guessed that's not cheap either, however you can plan how and when the money is ripped from your wallet.

04 is not old either.
richc

26th Feb 11 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont buy into this low mileage thing all the time. Often just been driven round town in first gear revving its tits off because the dosey old bleeder is too crippled to changed gear.

As mentioned, belts might need doing as they never have been.
3CorsaMeal

26th Feb 11 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its all about the owner imo, some know how to look after a car and some don't, then there's those in the middle who wash it with a bucket a sponge everyweek, but the only maintainence they have done is what a book or the dealers tell them
3CorsaMeal

26th Feb 11 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Low mileage to me, usually means its only had servicing at the main dealers (which going by alot of dealers isn't a great thing)

*JonnyG*

26th Feb 11 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£200 quid cars FTW! If they break, just scrap them for same price. Buy a other one.

[Edited on 26-02-2011 by *JonnyG*]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Low mileage older cars - what's the opinion? 22 database queries in 0.2909338 seconds