corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » advice on wide wheels an stretched tyres

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author advice on wide wheels an stretched tyres
evans_corsab

User status: Offline
20th Mar 11 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi there iv recently put 8j's on my corsa with 165 50 15's stretched on , iv bent out the rear arches and camberd the rear beam a touch , thing is everyones questioning the legality of my car , im just wondering if theres any law against stretched tyres and wheels which pertrude the arches only by say 2cm max , just id rather not loose my car or get points/fine . any help would be great cheers
Chris
Premium Member

20th Mar 11 at 22:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the tyres arent in the arches its a fail, plus u hit a big bump you will be getting instant handbrake / tyre slice.
Jake

20th Mar 11 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that is a ridiculous stretch and i reckon quite dangerous. heres a pick for others to see
Jon_C
Premium Member

20th Mar 11 at 22:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jake
that is a ridiculous stretch and i reckon quite dangerous. heres a pick for others to see

Holy fuck batman
SportBoy

20th Mar 11 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

loling at a 165 on and 8j .. thought 195s was plenty
SportBoy

20th Mar 11 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh and as law goes there isnt anything in writing specificly about stretched tyres.
Daveskater
Premium Member

20th Mar 11 at 22:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're worried about you wheels/tyres not being legal, then get some wheels that fit properly.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
evans_corsab

20th Mar 11 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just browsing around iv seen corsas with wide arches on , they arnt hidious body kit ones but standard looking just wider cant find them anywere to purchase tho :/ the 165's a nice stretch tbh its not to much overkill , i think ill loose the beam camber just for arguements sake
aron

20th Mar 11 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've never heard of anyone having an accident as a result of stretched tyres

you've got to make your own mind up, stay within the letter of the law and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

stretched tyres aren't illegal, but having rubbed sidewalls or any 'damage' caused by the arches is and could land you in hot water

if you don't need to run stretch, don't.

in my eyes, it should only be used to gain arch clearance.
evans_corsab

20th Mar 11 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

also iv read on the dub forums about 30mm is the maximum for rims to poke out ?
aron

20th Mar 11 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evans_corsab
also iv read on the dub forums about 30mm is the maximum for rims to poke out ?

i would argue that myself, as far as i know, if the tread is under the arches it's not illegal

i'm personally not a fan of OTT amounts of poke, what ET are your wheels?

i had 8j ET13 on my corsa with stretch and camber, never had a problem with the police OR mots.
Jon_C
Premium Member

20th Mar 11 at 22:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by aron
i've never heard of anyone having an accident as a result of stretched tyres

you've got to make your own mind up, stay within the letter of the law and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

stretched tyres aren't illegal, but having rubbed sidewalls or any 'damage' caused by the arches is and could land you in hot water

if you don't need to run stretch, don't.

in my eyes, it should only be used to gain arch clearance.

Man speaks the truth
evans_corsab

20th Mar 11 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im unsure on the et of the rims but there 8j's , zender sport alloys im running. i have observed lukeD's thread jimmys and yours aron to check out what yours look like , i think if i loose the beam camber its not going to look to bad
aron

20th Mar 11 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are they split rim zender sports? nice wheels

the only reason i had camber on mine was to stop the rears rubbing.

i had 185/45's on my 8j and that was a subtle stretch i thought
evans_corsab

20th Mar 11 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah thats the ones ill make a project thread when its abit more tidyer , yeah iv chucked 2 washers in the bottom beam bolts and bent my rear arches a fair bit and they stick out only a tiny bit now , thinking of jibbing the rear beam camber as from the back it does look abit dodgy . just cant be doing with the hassel of the police so i was just seeing if people knew if theres a law on stretched tyres
BeetleGav

20th Mar 11 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm going to be running a tiny bit of stretch on my mercs. Here's mine.
redtom

20th Mar 11 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a set of 13x10" wheels with 175 tyres on (not on a car) and i can safely say it looks gay
Jon_C
Premium Member

20th Mar 11 at 23:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by redtom
I have a set of 13x10" wheels with 175 tyres on (not on a car) and i can safely say it looks gay

Pics?
redtom

20th Mar 11 at 23:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

il get pics tommorow if i remember.
LukeD

21st Mar 11 at 00:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a grey area in the law. Some say its just the tread that needs covering by arch, then you hear the 30mm rule, then its any of the tyre shouldnt be outside the arch.

At the end of the day its whether the copper deems its unsafe, but you would be extremely unlucky to have any issues with it if the tread aint outside arch, but your always run the risk and people have got fined/points in past.

Could get some camber going on!

Get some pics up tho. do like the zenders!

[Edited on 21-03-2011 by LukeD]
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
21st Mar 11 at 00:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LukeD
Its a grey area in the law.
No such thing, only that which is not yet precedent, ie. hasn't been to court yet.

There are a number of pieces of legislation which cover the various aspects of what might be legal or illegal.

MOT requirements, Construction and Use, Road Traffic Act, pedestrian safety, type approval.

I would guess if it's deemed to be a contributory factor in an accident you may find it investigated, but there's nothing anywhere I could find about it going to court as a result of a stop.
marklawton

21st Mar 11 at 00:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you should be fine round here, iam running 215 on a 8.5 wheel with camber and have had no problems with the police here
Ste
Premium Member

21st Mar 11 at 01:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why do you all keep quoting the rim contour like it has any relevance what so ever now that the bead of the tyre isn't even in touch with it properly. You are all dangerous cunts and deserve your tyres slashing before you kill someone. FFS they are little bits of rubber holding your 1 ton plus car onto the road and to look cool you deliberately fuck about with them and mount them incorrectly. I could go on....

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
harrisp

21st Mar 11 at 12:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive got a 265 tyre on a 7inch rim
evans_corsab

21st Mar 11 at 23:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah luke im going to do a project thread soon ah didnt realise you had stretcheds on the astra mark ! i said to someone today if i threw this in for mot would you fail it on the rear wheel camber and basically the answer was no

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » advice on wide wheels an stretched tyres 23 database queries in 0.0146110 seconds