corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Anybody else given into petrol prices and got the bike out?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Anybody else given into petrol prices and got the bike out?
Dr Pepper

User status: Offline
29th Mar 11 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just cant stand burning my money in rush hour traffic any more - started cycling a bit earlier this year and trying to do it nearly every day..... petrol bill came down by £100 over the last fortnight. Was on a gt mountain bike last year which had full suspension and was hard work on roads. Decided to take the plunge and buy something decent. If anyone is in the market for a hybrid bike - I can highly recommend one of these.......

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/sirrus-elite-2011-hybrid-bike-ec023998?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle

Had it a week now for a 22 mile round trip for work. I didnt go for a full road bike as I prefer the upright position of these - and the carbon forks and slightly wider rims are absolutely brilliant for when I get into the crappy city part of my ride.

Brilliant bike- highly recommended... if petrol gets any more stupid I will have my money back within a couple of months.
pow
Premium Member

29th Mar 11 at 08:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I couldn't even face doing 22 miles in anything other than my car. To be honest I use my car no less than ever despite petrol prices... I still use about 45 litres a week between 2 cars.

Good for you though
Neo

29th Mar 11 at 08:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would if I didnt do 100 miles per day.

Quite impressed you are doing a 22 mile round trip on it
chrisritch

29th Mar 11 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I rode my horse to the shop yesterday got some strange looks
AlunJ

29th Mar 11 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did a week on my bike 10 mile round trip, my god did it kill me, but I lost some weight that week
Dr Pepper

29th Mar 11 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

11 miles each way isnt that far tbh ... its about 40 minutes to work and 25 minutes back due to the fuck off hills I have to go up on the way there. My ride is quite nice - lots of gradual downhill bits in both direction which eat up a few miles without me putting too much in.

Normally takes me anything up to an hour to drive home so its much quicker by bike. Just dont fancy it much in the winter with dark nights as Im on some fairly dodgy national speed limit roads for a couple of miles.

[Edited on 29-03-2011 by Dr Pepper]
pow
Premium Member

29th Mar 11 at 08:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My entire 20 mile journey to work is uphill
AlunJ

29th Mar 11 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

be fun coming home then pow
Dr Pepper

29th Mar 11 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
My entire 20 mile journey to work is uphill

Thats a bitch - but good for the way back Mine is uphill for the first 2 miles - then up and down all the way. Dont mind hills as long as I get to come down the other side pretty fast
pow
Premium Member

29th Mar 11 at 08:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I go up for like 16 miles, then down for 1, then up for another couple.

If I reset the MPGometer theres a noted difference though
AlunJ

29th Mar 11 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've got 2 options, the long flat way round to work or, some flat, really steep hill up, really steep hill down.
Gareth F

29th Mar 11 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup, even though i drive an economical car i like to ride to work.
Jamie Walby

29th Mar 11 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AlunJ
I did a week on my bike 10 mile round trip, my god did it kill me, but I lost some weight that week

AlunJ

29th Mar 11 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been meaning to start cycling to work again for ages, judging by the fact it's chucking it down today, it's not going to happen today either
Whittie

29th Mar 11 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chrisritch
I rode my horse to the shop yesterday got some strange looks

Where the fuck did you leave it? Tied round a lamp post outside
Whittie

29th Mar 11 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm tempted to buy a bike. Not because of petrol prices, just prefer it to running, as you get to see more.
AndyKent

29th Mar 11 at 09:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I walk to work anyway, but cylcing more than 3/4 miles would be too much to bother for me tbh.

Its ok if you've got showers at work I guess.

[Edited on 29-03-2011 by AndyKent]
MatthewR

29th Mar 11 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im moving back home soon which is like 25miles closer to my work, seriously considering cycling now, or maybe just to the train station at least
Jambo

29th Mar 11 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm going to be getting the train soon!

I fang walking but it's just not possible due to a stretch of road with no pavement on a busy A road, would take an hour or so also
MatthewR

29th Mar 11 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think the train is more viable for me as i have to wear a suit, wud look a right numpty cycling to work in a whistle LOL
Jamie Walby

29th Mar 11 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I walk to work everyday anyway as I live 5 minutes away from our business.

I do a lot of cycling too and would be happy to cycle to work if I lived further away. I do a lot of cycling anyway so wouldnt be much bother, just the sweating when I get to work would be the only issue if there were no showers.
Nath

29th Mar 11 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I cycle every now and then. It's about 12 miles there and back. I find it's a nice way to wake up, especially on a nice sunny morning. I usually feel alot more refreshed when I get to work. I don't really gun it, as I don't want to be stinking and sweaty when I arrive. On the way home I tend to give it some.
Dr Pepper

29th Mar 11 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
I cycle every now and then. It's about 12 miles there and back. I find it's a nice way to wake up, especially on a nice sunny morning. I usually feel alot more refreshed when I get to work. I don't really gun it, as I don't want to be stinking and sweaty when I arrive. On the way home I tend to give it some.

definately feels great blasting past the traffic I would normally be sat in - Its quite a nice route I have to work - plenty of fields and a big forest to bypass .... in the winter its grim, but when the sun comes out it certainly beats crawling through traffic on the a34. Its funny seeing how miserable most people in cars look along the way

Added bonus is that the car my car is mainly used now fr a little blast at the weekends or evenings - much more fun than a daily commute

[Edited on 29-03-2011 by Dr Pepper]
Ben D

29th Mar 11 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dr Pepper, What kind of job do you do? don't you arrive in a sweaty mess each morning after cycling 11 miles?
ed

29th Mar 11 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quite a few big places are setting up with showers and changing rooms. A 5-10 mile bike ride would be quite a nice way to start and finish the day, in the spring/summer and maybe early autumn

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Anybody else given into petrol prices and got the bike out? 22 database queries in 0.1705952 seconds