corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » New car purchase...Now with pics.

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New car purchase...Now with pics.
Matt.H

User status: Offline
9th Jun 11 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As above really...going to look at a car on sunday. Have been doing my homework and checked service history is correct and also HPI'd. Car is up for 13795 and is a private sale. Slight scuff on an alloy which will cost 50 to get sorted and tax is due end of the month which is 165. Just wondering what tips you use when buying a new car? Also what price would you go in with first?

[Edited on 20-06-2011 by Matt.H]
brebaz

9th Jun 11 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What kind of car is it??
Twitch

9th Jun 11 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you have a friend who is good with cars take them along as they can help a lot. its good to go over it with another person anyway so they can spot anything you might miss. check the obvious like oil and oil filler cap. water etc. listen to it start. and dont let them rev the tits off of it when cold. look for paint and body defects and also inside. check the tyre's too as if they are nearly needing replacing you might be able to get some money off for that. but basicly look for anything wrong and if it doesn't bother you too much say to them what you found and offer a new price
Matt.H

9th Jun 11 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car is a Mk5 Golf GT. My dad is coming with me so wont be on my own.
Corsa_Sport21

9th Jun 11 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Twitch
and dont let them rev the tits off of it when cold.

Im sure they won't do that to there own car when trying to get a sale.If they do,don't stop them,just walk away.

PM Kano for the ultimate haggling advice would be my advice.

How much are you hopping to haggle off??Realistically what would you be happy paying??
Matt.H

9th Jun 11 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I have 13500 to spend but obviously lower the better. Its quite a good spec and have been looking for a while for the right one. I have the cash so can pay there and then via bank transfer so not gotta wait for any loans to come thro.
harrisp

9th Jun 11 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always ask for the car to be stone cold when I get there and I open the bonnet to check, quite a few taps and rattles etc go away when warm.
Corsa_Sport21

9th Jun 11 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

13.5k sounds reasonable tbh if its up for 13795.

Just go and get an idea of the seller etc then make him your offer.Every1 tries to get money off a car,so you don't really need a reason as 300quid isn't alot off the asking price.

I would probably try for 13300,but yourself,if you need to ask on here,i take it you don't have much experience of haggling.

Just depends on how quick he wants rid etc.
Gary
Premium Member

9th Jun 11 at 20:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go in. Tell him it's not worth that, offer 13000 cash. Let them know you have the reddies. If he says no just say fair do's I'll leave it. And go. If he'll take that cash then he'll stop you. If not, ahh well find another.

Personally I think saying very little works best. Talk bullshit and they know what your trying.
Twitch

9th Jun 11 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
quote:
Originally posted by Twitch
and dont let them rev the tits off of it when cold.

Im sure they won't do that to there own car when trying to get a sale.If they do,don't stop them,just walk away.

PM Kano for the ultimate haggling advice would be my advice.

How much are you hopping to haggle off??Realistically what would you be happy paying??

you'd be supprised went a saw one car once where the guy was convinced it was mint even tho it had rust and laccure flake everywhere
Twiggy

9th Jun 11 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go in at £13000 and meet at low £13k's
Matt.H

9th Jun 11 at 20:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am mechanically minded and have a good idea of things to look for. Just the last things Ive bought, car I own now (6 yrs ago) and motorbike (2 yrs ago) I was part exing at the dealers. With this being a private sale I just wondered how cheeky you could get away with being. I have spoke to the seller and he sounds sound enough. Has been very helpful when it comes to information Ive wanted. As its a fair way from me he has agree to hold it and give me first refusal. TBH ive been looking for ages and this is the only I've seen that I really like and if its as good as it sounds there is a possibility of me leaving a deposit of paying the lot.
Jed D

9th Jun 11 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i always agree a price a little less than advertised for before veiwing it, look for fault (on my budget all cars have them) hum and har about it and act like im about to walk but say unless you'd take... £x.... pause...

then its yours for a nice price

current - £400 for a v reg corsa sport 1.6 with loads of test some tax in fairly decent nick... cant grumble

or a better bargain i got...
someone owed me about £500 and had a punto forsale for just over, "GIVE ME THE LOG BOOK AND KEYS AND WE ARE EVEN" hahahah
Chris
Premium Member

9th Jun 11 at 21:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take the guy in my pic

<<<<<<<<<<
BarnshaW

9th Jun 11 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go in at 7k
Jambo

9th Jun 11 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Go in. Tell him it's not worth that, offer 13000 cash. Let them know you have the reddies. If he says no just say fair do's I'll leave it. And go. If he'll take that cash then he'll stop you. If not, ahh well find another.

Personally I think saying very little works best. Talk bullshit and they know what your trying.

Right so he stated it was a good price and a car he's been searching for. So offer an amount he's not likely to accept then leave without the car you travelled to see minus the petrol and time?

My friend you are a genius.
Matt.H

9th Jun 11 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm almost set on purchasing it aslong as everything is right when I go to see it. I wont be in the position to play games like walking away as its a 2 and half hr drive from me. Im at my dads this weekend which is half way there thats why I'm going down this weekend.
T21SVJ

9th Jun 11 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is the car up at a dealer or private?

if its up at 13795 then the lowest i would say the seller will go is around13400 or 13500.

if the seller knows its a good car and you offer him to little he will just wait for the next person to come along.

Matt.H

9th Jun 11 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Car is from a private seller. Like I said above a have 13500 in cash waiting but obviously any less than that would be better. I know what your saying. We both need to be happy with the deal but is like to think I've done enough groundwork to show I'm serious.
Sam
Premium Member

10th Jun 11 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Offer £13k and see what he says.

Unless he is ultra desperate to get rid of the car, he will decline and you both just work your way to a middle figure.

If he is completely stubborn and refuses to budge from the asking price, walk.

Simples.

Don't offer a pisstake amount though like £7k as Barnshaw says, the owner will tell you to fuck off!
adiohead

10th Jun 11 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wear something fruity and offer him a smile
John

10th Jun 11 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Completely depends what the car is worth.

Some people price high, either because they are deluded or because they expect to be knocked down.

Others will price realistically and want that figure, not budging from this isn't exactly a bad thing.

My Astra sold for exactly what I had it up for, guy just asked how far I was willing to go down and I said I wasn't, that was it.
bigboykarl

10th Jun 11 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whatever you do don't go in at 13k...thats what u want to be paying for it...take cash and offer 12k cash here and now...let him give u a counter offer..he mightsay 13.5...tell him you'll meet him half way 12750...he might he might not..then say ok last offer cause all i've got to spend is 13k and i was hoping to get the wheel done etc...
John

10th Jun 11 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is this go in at 12k what if the car is worth 14?
Nath

10th Jun 11 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
go in at 7k

the eBay approach

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » New car purchase...Now with pics. 22 database queries in 0.0130091 seconds