corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Debate on this - Rover falls off and collects Civic on the way back on

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Debate on this - Rover falls off and collects Civic on the way back on
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
7th Aug 11 at 22:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkSafPC1wLc

Years ago, just wondering what people think about it in terms of how to avoid accidents like that.

Civic didn't do much wrong in terms of position, just think he should have seen that unfolding and slowed down earlier.

Rover's line in to the corner should have been a clue.
antnee

7th Aug 11 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IMO, its a bit 50/50, looks like the Rover kept his foot in, as did the Civic, if either/both had lifted it may have been avoided.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

7th Aug 11 at 22:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

rover shouldnt have tried to re enter the track
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

7th Aug 11 at 22:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I remember watching that a while back and being baffled as to why the Civic would keep his boot in when another car is having an 'off' in clear view. If you can see someone isn't in full control of their car, you try your best to stay out of their potential path. Damage to both cars could've been avoided by the Civic backing off when he saw that the Rover was heading for the grass.

The Rover hadn't gone far off so assumed he could simply rejoin, not realising what would happen as the grip level changed as the tyres returned to the tarmac.

Naivety on both parts really. I would guess they both learned from the experience.

[Edited on 07-08-2011 by Mike B]

[Edited on 07-08-2011 by Mike B]
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Aug 11 at 22:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure the Rover had as much choice in the matter. Civic was clearly still under control.
Ash_EP3

7th Aug 11 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think that would be classed as a "racing incident"

In all seriousness... the civic probably just thought yep he's gone off I'll just carry on as usual... then Bang! The rover did shoot across the whole track so unless the Civic backed off before the corner there wasn't much else it could have done!?
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Aug 11 at 22:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's enough time there to slow down, the Rover slowed enough for the Civic to be alongside from behind, Civic had more traction.
antnee

7th Aug 11 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At 24secs, the Rover is looking like he will go off and the Civic is only just getting near the apex, its a whole 5secs before impact. Looking at the video closer, I can't see any brake lights from the Civic at all
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

7th Aug 11 at 22:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Not sure the Rover had as much choice in the matter. Civic was clearly still under control.

Yeah, the Rover driver would've seen the wall closing in up ahead and along with the lack of grip on the grass, made the decision to rejoin the track rather than end his day with his car in a wall.
mike56gte

7th Aug 11 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont think the rover driver was trying to rejoin as such just trying to avoid hitting the barrier. lol

and from the civics point of view it would be quite easy to think 'oh the rover driver is going off i will just continue passed' not thinking he will come shooting back across.

but tbh its very easy to watch an incident and say what he/she should have done. if the civic driver had backed off when he seen it happen and still crashed into the rover everyone would be saying 'well the civic driver should have just kept going' etc etc

hindsight it a wonderfull thing lol
Mieran

7th Aug 11 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reckon he would have still hit him even if civic driver slowed down
Mieran

7th Aug 11 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And the impreza part was good too
Graham88

8th Aug 11 at 00:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I was the Rover driver I'd have done a similar move, done everything possible to get back onto track or the infield, both would do less/no damage as opposed to barriers. Saying that I'd like to think I'd have more control upon entering the track again.

If I was the Civic driver I'd have beenon the brakes as soon as I saw the Rover hit the grass, why risk putting yourself in danger when it's not a race?

Bothcpuld have acted differently but as with many racing incidents, hindsight is a wonderful thing.
smcGSI16V

8th Aug 11 at 06:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88

If I was the Civic driver I'd have been on the brakes as soon as I saw the Rover hit the grass.
mantamark

8th Aug 11 at 06:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Civic was waiting for vtec to blast him past the incident imo.
Steve
Premium Member

8th Aug 11 at 07:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

difficult one to call really i keep changing my mind.

I dont think the civic can be blamed for the collision though he had more right to be where he was then the rover. Lets not forget the rover caused the collision here.

But then again i think the civic should have taken preventative steps. I think best i can come up with is the civic is mostly to blame for his own damage caused in the incident, not really for anything caused on the rover.

If it was me my reaction may have been that the rover was out wide and natural forces would just keep pushing it out rather then coming back in, but then you never know so i probably have hit the brakes anyway

[Edited on 08-08-2011 by Steve]
LeeM

8th Aug 11 at 07:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont think it looks like the rover had much control at all, and i dont think he was planning on going back onto the track either.
looks like its in plain sight of the civic who could have possibly slowed down
ed

8th Aug 11 at 08:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not much of a run-off on that corner for the Rover to carry on along the grass. Not much chance of the Civic being able to stop hard mid-corner. It's motorsport.
3CorsaMeal

8th Aug 11 at 08:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no ones fault, its on track.

does someone have to accept liability?
Steve
Premium Member

8th Aug 11 at 08:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

accidents on track can easily be someones fault, track days still have rules.

no rules to accept any sort of liability though everyone on there is uninsured so to speak.

you may find someone generous enough to offer to pay for damage out there own pocket if they are at fault though
adiohead

8th Aug 11 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've decided, it's the Rover driver's fault for owning a Rover

[Edited on 08-08-2011 by adiohead]
3CorsaMeal

8th Aug 11 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

serves them all right for driving around like follow the leader and not outbraking each other etc.

people are too relaxed on these so called track days, if they were expecting an accident this wouldn't of happened.

i blame the civic

[Edited on 08-08-2011 by 3CorsaMeal]
xa0s
Banned

8th Aug 11 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
serves them all right for driving around like follow the leader and not outbraking each other etc.

people are too relaxed on these so called track days, if they were expecting an accident this wouldn't of happened.

i blame the civic

[Edited on 08-08-2011 by 3CorsaMeal]
Eddx14xe

8th Aug 11 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rovers fault. He is the one that losted control and drove into the civic. Just because the civic didnt brake, doesnt make it his fault. It did look like he could get passed and he was already mid corner when the civic went off.

If you saw someone going round a round -a-bout quite fast, then they span and went into you. Would it be your fault for going around it as well? Or the other driver for losing control?
nathy_87

8th Aug 11 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes Edd, because the Rover actually went for the Civic didn't he?

I say 50/50, Civiv could see the Rover was going off so he could of slowed down to try and avoid an accident. As for the Rover he was going to quick for the corner. So if it was me, I'd say the pay for their own damage.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Debate on this - Rover falls off and collects Civic on the way back on 22 database queries in 0.0161810 seconds