corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » space savers limited to 50mph

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author space savers limited to 50mph
xa0s
Banned

User status: Offline
22nd Aug 11 at 05:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got a puncture last night 40 miles from home, it was on the front so had to swap the wheels over as space saver wont go over my brembo's

saw it was 50mph limit so sat like it but got bored, gradually increased, didnt notice anything.. kept going and going, in the end i was indicating 140mph and it felt pretty normal?

why are these limited to 50mph and people refuse to go over it if it handled 140mph fine? surely 60mph is safe if 140mph is etc

is it the tyre or the wheel that restricts it to 50mph? what is meant to happen exactly?
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
22nd Aug 11 at 05:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good one.
Steve
Premium Member

22nd Aug 11 at 05:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im starting to believe he's just trolling now
sc0ott

22nd Aug 11 at 06:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He needs another pole to the face, imo.
Generation

22nd Aug 11 at 06:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Good one.
RKS

22nd Aug 11 at 06:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They see me Trolling, They Hating
BarnshaW

22nd Aug 11 at 06:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bit boring now tbh
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

22nd Aug 11 at 06:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fro

22nd Aug 11 at 06:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've driven on a space saver and it felt like shit.

Trollolololol
Jed D

22nd Aug 11 at 06:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

xa0s, you've been lucky! im sure they aren't supposed to cope with speeds like that. probs says 50mph because when tests have been run it blows up at 60 or whatever
Mr-SEH

22nd Aug 11 at 07:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mr Lag haha hi there bud! and fuck 140 on one of them
Gary
Premium Member

22nd Aug 11 at 07:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When things are designed they are designed with a safety factor, tires will prob have quite a high safety factor meaning to me marked up as 50mph will be designed to cope with 150 etc, that's why it didn't blow out.

Everything can take more than it states
Ben G

22nd Aug 11 at 07:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try doing 140mph on a space saver for quite a distance.

the reason why you aren't supposed to go over 50mph is because it isn't safe to so for a distance.

obviously you know better than engineers and scientists who work all these things out though.
_Allan_

22nd Aug 11 at 07:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Luke I wish for you try try it again, with vids for a longer duration and post back please.
richc

22nd Aug 11 at 08:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JedDy
xa0s, you've been lucky! im sure they aren't supposed to cope with speeds like that. probs says 50mph because when tests have been run it blows up at 60 or whatever

I highly doubt that. It would imagine it to be around 150 in real terms. Things like this (and lifting equipment where human input is used), are always over engineerd to minimise the risk, 2.5-3x over there speed rating.

EDIT - i didnt read the whole thread and gary said the same thing.

[Edited on 22-08-2011 by richc]
adiohead

22nd Aug 11 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by xa0s
is it the tyre or the wheel that restricts it to 50mph? what is meant to happen exactly?

Here's an actual answer and example of why it's restricted, but I know you just want to troll.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/230895/are_spacesavers_safe.html

"50mph space-saver

First to be tested was the space-saver on our long-term Subaru Justy. This skinny, lightweight wheel is designed to help the car limp to the nearest garage at a maximum of 50mph. It’s also found in the boot of one-third of all new models, as our investigation in Issue 982 revealed. At 6cm thinner than the standard wheel, it looked less grippy. We tried the standard tyres first, heading towards a cone barrier at 50mph. The manoeuvre was a white-knuckle ride; but when we switched the front left wheel to the space-saver, the car fish-tailed in both directions.

When we tried the run with the space-saver on the rear, even expert road tester Owen couldn’t stop the Justy spinning through 180 degrees. We then attempted the lane change at a reckless 65mph: the Subaru made it through, but only an expert driver with several practice runs under his belt could have done it.

As our results reveal, the loss of grip was reflected by the Justy’s wet circle lap time. With the space-saver on the front left, it took 31.21 seconds – two seconds slower than with the standard rubber."
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
22nd Aug 11 at 08:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Autoexpress
When we tried the run with the space-saver on the rear, even expert road tester Owen couldn’t stop the Justy spinning through 180 degrees because he's clearly not some clert off the internet who is invincible. We then attempted the lane change at a reckless 65mph: the Subaru made it through, but only an expert driver with several practice runs under his belt could have done it or a World Super Bike champion who practices his art on the worlds most powerful diesel on the public back roads of Kent.

As our results reveal, the loss of grip was reflected by the Justy’s wet circle lap time. With the space-saver on the front left, it took 31.21 seconds – two seconds slower than with the standard rubber." Had the car instead been a Skoda, you would have been able to to travel at three times the quoted maximum without penalty, least not any provenance of opinion contrary to your own.
adiohead

22nd Aug 11 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3CorsaMeal

22nd Aug 11 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its more of a precaution for those who are amater imo, i've driven up to 90mph on one before and it was fine.

richc

22nd Aug 11 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3cm do You want a supercharged corrado?

800 quid - only problem is the paint work is faded (red). Selling due to drink driving ban.
Gary
Premium Member

22nd Aug 11 at 09:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by richc

800 quid - only problem is the paint work is faded (red). Selling due to drink driving ban.

Much cheapness. Linky?
3CorsaMeal

22nd Aug 11 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by richc

would that be a G60 then?

not sure i want another, mine is looking like enough work atm and even considering giving up with it now
Steve
Premium Member

22nd Aug 11 at 09:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why are you giving up with it you twat
3CorsaMeal

22nd Aug 11 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh, i'm not sure about repairing this

gotta see if i can get a section to weld in.

when i work out i need a full respray and the fact the engine will need replacing at some point soon, i kinda figure i can't be bothered and could raise quite a bit of money selling all my parts instead.
Steve
Premium Member

22nd Aug 11 at 09:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wont need replacing could just rebuild it

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » space savers limited to 50mph 22 database queries in 0.0153830 seconds