corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Fecking Mechanics Jobs

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fecking Mechanics Jobs
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

User status: Offline
26th Sep 11 at 11:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been looking for a mechanics job for about a year now, finished college, level 3 qualified and all that, came to finding a job and everyone says "experience required" but no one will give you the chance to get the experience. if it keeps going this way then wont it eventualy run itself out? no new mechanics as no one will give them the time of day

anyone got any decent advice that corsasport is well known for
Dan
Premium Member

26th Sep 11 at 11:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All about the apprenticships round here. Far better way of learning

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
DanCobb

26th Sep 11 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In my experience Its not what you know, its who you know If you had done an apprenticeship you'd also be in with more a chance. I know a few people who couldnt get jobs in garages so just opened their own
Eddx14xe

26th Sep 11 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same with me, ive done my level 2 in electrical and plumbing but no one will give me an apprenticeship so i cant become fully qualified. Ive been saying the same thing for ages, once all the current tradesman, mechanics etc etc retire. There will be only a handfull of these people about, the lucky ones that managed to find the apprenticeship or job.
Ronson

26th Sep 11 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm in the same boat job wise (I'm not a mechanic though) I'm in work atm but looking for another job and looking on the job centre website 90% of the adverts say, experience required or you need a cscs card/cpcs card or need to be time served, even some shops are looking for experienced people its not like stacking shelves is hard work.
spencer88

26th Sep 11 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

offer to work for free for a few days, if they like your work they can keep you on, if not you find somewhere else.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

26th Sep 11 at 11:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i tried getting a apprenteship before i started my college course sent out 15 lettters to 15 different companies then took the letters to the individual garage managers of all of them 15 companies twice, but no joy what so ever :/

also ive tried working for free too, most people say its not worth the time for me to check your work over, even if i offer to literaly pass the spaners no one tends to want anything to do with younger mechanics even though im 20 so im not exactly that young
JamesMc

26th Sep 11 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have exactly the same problems for plumbing no one is taking anyone on so im now working in Debenhams :/ meh 20% discount is nice though, ive even offered to do the usual work free etc but they cba to take me on even though i do have some experience might be doing roofing soon so hopefully thats a decent job to take on.
John

26th Sep 11 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you not look into this before going to college and find out that nobody will ever take you on?
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

26th Sep 11 at 12:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what would that of acheived though john? :S
adiohead

26th Sep 11 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'd of at least known the course would of been a waste of time. Drive around to all the garages in your area and ask if they need any one. Bring a cv too
VegasPhil
Premium Member

26th Sep 11 at 12:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get some insurance and do private work?

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
spencer88

26th Sep 11 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit shit when my brother with no actually qualifications walked into a job at Kwik Fit
harrisp

26th Sep 11 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FlaFFy_91
i tried getting a apprenteship before i started my college course sent out 15 lettters to 15 different companies then took the letters to the individual garage managers of all of them 15 companies twice, but no joy what so ever :/

also ive tried working for free too, most people say its not worth the time for me to check your work over, even if i offer to literaly pass the spaners no one tends to want anything to do with younger mechanics even though im 20 so im not exactly that young

15 letter that is a poor attempt. I have sent out 70+ letters every couple of months and have still not got anywhere after being laid off from my apprenticeship.
Gary
Premium Member

26th Sep 11 at 12:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I say voulenteer too, if your not currenty Working then you may aswell, at least you'll be keeping your hand in. Maybe keep a record of all the jobs you complete
adiohead

26th Sep 11 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't work for free usually, but at least it would be the experience required for a proper job.

I'd still try every garage in the land first. I remember getting some tyres fitted and a young lad walked in and asked for work, he got a job on the spot. Fucking do it
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

26th Sep 11 at 12:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VegasPhil
Get some insurance and do private work?

I would do but i couldnt afford the set up of it all, and i couldnt garentee the customers atall as alot of my mates do there own private work, i do bits here and there for people but not as a official if you get me?

quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
You'd of at least known the course would of been a waste of time. Drive around to all the garages in your area and ask if they need any one. Bring a cv too

Yer but i couldnt of done anything else, mechanics is what i want to do so i did it, and its not been a waste of time, more likely to get a job with a qualification than without

quote:
Originally posted by harrisp
quote:
Originally posted by FlaFFy_91

15 letter that is a poor attempt. I have sent out 70+ letters every couple of months and have still not got anywhere after being laid off from my apprenticeship.

haha bloody hell mate, i would send more but theres only 15 main dealers around the whole merseyside, however i have been into 99.9% of private garages with the cv's and letters too
the only people i know who have a apprenteship are in daddys or uncles garages :/

oh and why did you get laid off if you dont mind me asking hahaa
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

26th Sep 11 at 12:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i do work at the moment but only part time realy sort of 3 or 4 days a week, and i have been into a few garages to work for free but as above they dont want "the hastle" of checking work over
harrisp

26th Sep 11 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got laid off because there wasn't enough work for 5 of us.
Why else would I have been laid off?
Gary
Premium Member

26th Sep 11 at 12:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A guy round here has just rented a unit the same size as 2 council garages only about 8th tall does all his work without Ramps etc seems to know what he's doing though and there are always a couple of cars there.

He's cheap and does a good job, guaranteed business as long as folk know your there.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

26th Sep 11 at 12:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres plenty of reasons you could of got laid off harrisp :/

yer gary a few lads round here do that, been thinking about it for a while to be fair, just dont want to go ahead and do it spend the money and there be nouthing there if you get me haha
Gary
Premium Member

26th Sep 11 at 12:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Better than waiting. Might as well give it a go.
Eddx14xe

26th Sep 11 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could even just do it at home if you have the space. Get insurance started and put business cards up to gain you customers.

FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

26th Sep 11 at 12:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

true story gary

thanks for all the cs advice cs'ers haha

gonna get me tits into gear and start looking for a small unit or largeish garage somewhere
nice one ladds
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

26th Sep 11 at 12:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Eddx14xe
You could even just do it at home if you have the space. Get insurance started and put business cards up to gain you customers.

i would do it at home but my garage is taken up by the corsa project so theres not much room tbf :/

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Fecking Mechanics Jobs 23 database queries in 0.0293660 seconds