corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Polished Bliss®: Ne Plus Ultra - BMW 730...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Polished Bliss®: Ne Plus Ultra - BMW 730...
BluKoo

User status: Offline
8th Nov 11 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As usual, all pictures and text are lifted from detailing world.
Also its not me doing the work. Its my brother, so I can't answer any detailing questions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're newish to DW and don't know what our Ne Plus Ultra service is then there are more details here: http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/detailing-services-service-options.html

This job was carried out last summer but I've only just got round to putting it all together after going through all the pictures (note to self - stop taking so many!)

The owner of the car came to us after seeing a previous Ne Plus Ultra we carried out on a Bentley a while back (here for those that haven't seen it: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=159405 )and decided they wanted the car back to showroom condition again. This obviously wasn't going to be the cheapest of jobs but the client's opinion was that they'd lose a load of cash on trade in anyways and as they really liked the car they'd prefer to pay to get it back to how it should be

Before any detailing work could be started we'd arranged for the car to make a trip to Kinghorn Body shop as there was a rather large crease in the O/S rear door that PDR couldn't remove.

During repair:

There were also signs of a bad previous paint job on the roof :

Clear coat peeling away in places too:

The roof was taken back to bare metal and done properly this time and then 4 or 5 days later I brought it up to PB HQ ready for me to do my thing

A few quick pictures to give you an idea of the overall condition of the car:

Usually we'd start by doing the wheels but they were to be sent up to PPS in Inverurie to be powder coated so this stage was skipped and we began with the arches:.

Meguiars Super Degreaser sprayed:

Then agitated:

The arches would get a more thorough going over once the car was up on axle stands but it's always good to get the majority of dirt removed outside.

Same process applied to the engine bay:

Rinsed at medium pressure with water at a temperature of approx 60 degrees:

Door shuts/petrol cap/exterior trims and badges were cleaned with Meguiars APC (4:1):

This was followed by a 2 bucket wash and rinse...

...and then the paintwork was chemically cleaned to remove tar spots and iron filings etc:

Tar build up in the engine bay too:

After a wipe over with an old MF towel:

After a final rinse the car was brought inside and clayed with Meguiars Aggressive Clay although there was barely anything removed. If I'm going to machine polish the car I'll generally use an aggressive clay as it doesn't matter if you marr the finish slightly.

After a thorough dry off with PB Luxury Drying Towels and the Black Baron drier the car was put into position where it would stay for the next week or so and then had the wheels removed:

Tyre Devotion then turned up to remove the tyres so we could take the wheels up to PPS for them to work their magic:

Before starting any machine work I removed a few bits and bobs including the front grills and side repeaters:

I then took a few snaps to show the condition of the paintwork:

(You’ll notice the defect free paintwork on the door of the above pic - this was a result of the re-sprayed panels from the body shop which were 99% perfect and only needed a very light refine :thumb

As the car was at a nice comfortable height on the axle stands I decided to start on all the lower parts first, but not before taking some paint readings:

Nice and healthy on the rear bumper as it had been re-sprayed previously.

Defects were removed with Lake Country Foamed Wool pads, Menzerna S500 and the Makita at approx 1800-2200 rpm's:

After each panel was corrected with the wool I did a 2nd stage of polishing with a Lake Country Cyan HT Pad and Menzerna 203S:

A few more correction shots:

The N/S of the rear bumper was really orange peely so a short session with some 2000 and then 3000 sand paper sorted that out:

Side Skirts next:

Boot Lid:

O/S front wing:

Bonnet:

After the first 2 stages of polishing the car was needing a good rinse to remove all the dust. Luckily the wheels were back from PPS and Tyre Devotion had re fitted and balanced the tyres (highly recommended if you're in the Aberdeen area):

They were given a clean up with APC to remove the soap residue from the sidewalls and then given a couple of coats of Swissvax Autobahn. Finally the centre caps were given a machine polish to brighten them up again:

All ready to go back on

One last job to do before the wheels went back on was to paint the bolts silver:

With the wheels back on and torqued to the correct settings I put the car outside to rinse off all the excess dust, including all the shuts:

After sheeting the water off with an open ended hose and then drying off with the Black Baron again I refined the whole car with a 3M Finishing Pad and Wolf's WP-1N, using the long work time of this polish to really burnish the clear coat:

After an IPA wipe down Wolf's Body Wrap was applied and buffed off after about an hour:

Wolf's Glass Guard was applied to all exterior glass:

Wolf's Nano Trim Coat was applied to the exterior trim:

The door shuts and chrome work were polished and protected with Werkstat Prime Strong:

Grills also polished with Prime Strong:

Cleaning with APC before refitting:

Interior wise it wasn't too bad, it just needed a thorough hoover and wipe down more than anything.

Dusted down and Hoovered first:

Then a thorough wipe down of all plastics and vinyls followed by the cleaning of the leather using Swissvax products:

Swissvax Wood Polish applied to all wood surfaces:

The seals were fed with Swissvax Seal and glass cleaned with 3M Glass Cleaner.

Spare wheel also cleaned and tyre dressed

The engine bay was dressed with Swissvax Motorshine, I love this stuff and have done my Impreza engine and suspension with it - just make sure to mask off any necessary areas first:

After a good check over and final hoover of the interior this was what we were left with :thumb:

Thanks for taking the time to have a look, the next Ne Plus Ultra should be on a Ferrari Enzo which we had planned on having done in August but it was moved to next Spring
Kyle T
Premium Member

8th Nov 11 at 23:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love these threads!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
corsa-sxi

8th Nov 11 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

absolutely amazing
Adam_B

8th Nov 11 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great results as usual

Do you know what the wheel bolts were painted with? Wouldn't the pait just flake off when the bolts are tightened up?
Matty SRi

8th Nov 11 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks smart that. I want paint correction doing on my car.
Does that beemer have the fridge in the armrest?
James

8th Nov 11 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks good but I would hope so for £2k.
j10E W

8th Nov 11 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cool car
Jambo

8th Nov 11 at 23:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fantastic work.
spikedjack

9th Nov 11 at 01:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James

Are you taking the piss? £2k for that?
Jimbothebarbarian

9th Nov 11 at 01:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James

Does that include the car?
Jamie-C

9th Nov 11 at 01:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think that's how much it costs tbh :/

Edit: Just looked at the link and it is infact about 2K. But even so its not all that bad of a price, its like a respray, only 10x better.

[Edited on 09-11-2011 by Jamie-C]
BluKoo

9th Nov 11 at 14:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, Its about £2k for that.
However they did spend between 80 and 90 hours on that car.
Rich H

9th Nov 11 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said on DW, great work, I enjoy their NE plus write up's!

To add a little fire to the price tag comments: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=238898
noshua

9th Nov 11 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rich H

To add a little fire to the price tag comments: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=238898

Those pictures are absolutely shocking, I could do better with a 1.3 megapixel Motorola phone.
Jamie-C

9th Nov 11 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hes a detailer, not a photographer
Graeme
Premium Member

9th Nov 11 at 21:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 FUCKING GRAND!!!!! Seriously!!!

BluKoo

9th Nov 11 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For the level of work carried out, I don't see £2k as a hefty price tag.
Obviously the owner didn't either.
Fad

9th Nov 11 at 23:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well by the time you have painted the roof and o/s door and quarter and refurbed the wheels you are already half way there.

Great job and assume car.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
9th Nov 11 at 23:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Summarise for me please!
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
9th Nov 11 at 23:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just seen the title, £6k

I say good luck to everyone who is in the game, there are obviously people out there who don't mind being bummed to have a clean car.

The results are fantastic, I just don't think the level of skill should command that. I know you need to mask bits and remove bits and not burn the paint but the majority of these people just bought the stuff learnt a few tricks and got on with it.

People study for years and have to pass exams and professional accreditation before they make that type of money, it truly is a distorted sector.
emicen

9th Nov 11 at 23:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even with a euromillions win it would take a hefty blow to the head before I'd pay some fucker 2k for a spit'n'polish vs paying the local latvian carwash 20 quid for a valet and spending half an afternoon with the techwax.
Graeme
Premium Member

9th Nov 11 at 23:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does the £2k include the price of paintwork ?
Eddx14xe

10th Nov 11 at 00:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont think i could ever spend £2000 having my car cleaned. I think spending £6 at Tesco jet wash is too much
Jimbothebarbarian

10th Nov 11 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

6K FFS! I think what kills it for me is I worked for many many years in the bodywork trade I know how much of a fucking rip off this bollocks is. For 6k I could fully respray that car flat and polish it to a glass finish including the wheels etc etc and still make an epic profit

For a flat and polish, 6K, fuck off and some cunt call the police! Reminds me of these pikeys knocking on your door wanting to re tarmac the drive rip off merchants.
Steve
Premium Member

10th Nov 11 at 11:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they will argue that its somehow worth spending all the money to keep the car with its original paintwork.

but yeah, bollocks

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Polished Bliss®: Ne Plus Ultra - BMW 730... 23 database queries in 0.0193238 seconds