corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Like talking to a brick wall...

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Like talking to a brick wall...
Gary
Premium Member

User status: Offline
8th Dec 11 at 12:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sister has come into a bit of money £4500, with another K in the bank and is after a new car. New shape Golf to be exact, nothing else.

Shes been speaking to my dad, who is set in his ways and sees anything over 60k as high milage

Trying to explain to her that an 08 plate 1.6 poverty spec car is not a wise choice when she can pick up an older yet high specced Tdi for less monies! (just with 80/90k on it)

All my dad seems to look at is Mileage and age, nothing else, and refuses to listen to me when i explain that 80k isnt really high milage on a VAG derv lump!!

[/rant]
DannyB
Premium Member

8th Dec 11 at 12:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Punch her in the face
John

8th Dec 11 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your dad is right tbh.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

8th Dec 11 at 12:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never had a car with less than 60k on personally! Mileage isn't an issue as long as service history backs up the mileage!

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Gary
Premium Member

8th Dec 11 at 12:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Your dad is right tbh.

Not really. He owns a 325 bmw and has lost a load of cash on it cos of a bad choice (2.5l petrol in this climate)

I'd go for spec over milage tbh.
Gary
Premium Member

8th Dec 11 at 12:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daniel_Corsa
Never had a car with less than 60k on personally! Mileage isn't an issue as long as service history backs up the mileage!

Ones ivre found her have full VW service etc
flybikeslee

8th Dec 11 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

let her make her own mistakes. some people just don't listen
LeeM

8th Dec 11 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're saying mileage is nothing on the engine, you're dads probably thinking that if she gets something low mileage the rest of the car will be ok too. 80k tdi might run fine but she'll be spending more on everything else that's worn out
Gary
Premium Member

8th Dec 11 at 12:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
You're saying mileage is nothing on the engine, you're dads probably thinking that if she gets something low mileage the rest of the car will be ok too. 80k tdi might run fine but she'll be spending more on everything else that's worn out

In a way yeah your right, but then thinnking about resale value a poverty spec 1.6 is going to turn into a high milage old pov spec eventually, and not be desireable at all!
LeeM

8th Dec 11 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How long is she planning on keeping it and what sort of mileage does she do?
baza31

8th Dec 11 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll sell her 11 plate polo 1.2 cat d 5000 6k miles . Be ready after Xmas , they look similar. I wouldn't buy a car with over 80. They drop in price drastically at 100k. Wouldn't dream of having a van with 180k
baza31

8th Dec 11 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plus your dad can't talk how much does he have in horses
chrisritch

8th Dec 11 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pics of sister
pow
Premium Member

8th Dec 11 at 13:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He is KINDA right, once that golf gets to 100k and everything starts wearing out, it's gunna cost her more in the long run
baza31

8th Dec 11 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chrisritch
pics of sister

Like Gary with long hair.
Gary
Premium Member

8th Dec 11 at 14:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha, not wronng though.

She drives about a mile to work and back and just potters about
fazza

8th Dec 11 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive just had a similar argument with my mum, she just bought a 57 plate 1 series 1.6 petrol with basic spec really with 30k on clocks

I said get a diesel with 60-70k on and will come with loads extras etc for same money and will hold value better. she saw the mileage was less and went for the petrol

Russ

8th Dec 11 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Sister has come into a bit of money £4500
i lold
Gary
Premium Member

8th Dec 11 at 14:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why russel?
Russ

8th Dec 11 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ejactulating into a pile of money.

on a seruous note, let her get what she wants and when she moans say, "told ya"
or talk her round and let her get the one you want and when it goes wrong say, "trolled ya"
ed

8th Dec 11 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't want a car with 80 or 90k on it. The steering wheel would be all shiny and the seats would be a bit grubby.
richc

8th Dec 11 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
I wouldn't want a car with 80 or 90k on it. The steering wheel would be all shiny and the seats would be a bit grubby.

Have you got any experience of a car with that milage?

We have a passat work with 268k on it (2006 plate). It drives better than the one with 140k. The steering wheel is like brand new and all the markings on the gearknob are pressent with no scratching of the gaitors or the like. the seats are still firm with the backs never even been sat in. The 140k one has an ok wheel, but the markings on the knob are unreadable, the gaitors are shagged and the drivers seat isnt as supportive etc. We have a fleet of them and had them all from new so ive seen how they have been used over the years and by whom.

Im not one that raves on high miles or low miles, i buy what ever.

I sold a car with 58k, then bought one with 69k and now drive one with 144 on the clock.

The 69k one was probably the worse. Steering wheel torn, gaitors worn etc because it was owned by people who dont look after them being a shitty supermini.
John

8th Dec 11 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You get good and bad examples at any mileage.

In general though the lower mileage one does not drive like the higher mileage one.

Yes I have experience of it, although not at 200k.
adiohead

8th Dec 11 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't get a car with more than 60k on it.
Gary
Premium Member

8th Dec 11 at 15:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.6 petrol will have 60k worth of town miles, an ex fleet tdi will have 80k of motorway miles. I'd rather have the motorway miles tbh

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Like talking to a brick wall... 23 database queries in 0.0169282 seconds