corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » what engine to use. are you happy with the power your 1600 makes?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author what engine to use. are you happy with the power your 1600 makes?
danbo

User status: Offline
10th Dec 11 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi
after some peoples opinions on whether they are happy with the power their 1600 engine makes and what modifications/power that engine has.
i am considering going for a bigger engine after the problems my 1600 has given me and people are usually one side or the other when talking about 2ltr conversions.
Newer cars have alot more speed as standard and wanted to know if people are doing ok with a tuned 1600 compared to these. country roads are good but on the motorway etc it feels quite slow in comparison to newer cars and its expensive highly tuning a 1600 compared with a bigger engine. I am getting quite bored and fed up when newer standard golfs seem to be fast even though new cars are heavy and still underpowered for the big engines they have.

any info helpful. i dont wanna spend big bucks on a 1600 to have a fun engine that i'm happy with, if i had to do that i'll be going for a bigger engine to make it worthwhile getting alot more power.
cheers
philip2

10th Dec 11 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Drop me a txt matey as on mobile 07807 040522, but id look at 20xe but can have chat on fone.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
11th Dec 11 at 07:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2ltr is a fairly pain free way to get a lot more power.

Same figures from a 1600 will cost either the same or slightly more, and you'll have an upper limit which is higher with the larger engine.

Does come with some other issues though, can make the car less reliable if the conversion isn't done well, and it's more difficult to insure.
Jed D

11th Dec 11 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fairly happy with my x16xel, it pretty standard arpart from 4 branch, de-cat, race tube... de restricted air intake and well serviced and i haven't even got round to fitting the vx performance inlet yetso should have some more beans once thats on
had a bit play with my mates 14xe twinpot C the other days and it pisses on his no problems

decent engines i must say
if your wondering what to get through and decide against it it may be worth looking into the small block 1800's, x18xe1 i think. some of the same running gear as a 1.6 and nice and light front end...
benton101

11th Dec 11 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

20xe all the way mate. cheap, cheap to add more power and easy to repair. sorted
philip2

11th Dec 11 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

30kg dif between 16xe and 20xe so unless competing then 20xe
danbo

13th Dec 11 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my other concern is fwd. If i were to go for a larger engine that could gain alot more power then i'd also not want to waste this, make the most of it and are alot of rwd/4wd conversions that i've been reading about more lately compared to what there used to be. Also twin charging a larger engine. i like the idea of quicker responding power from throttle bodies but what figure am i likely to reach on 20xe?
benton101

13th Dec 11 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The c20xe is maxed out at 265bhp without boring the block bigger?

Not sure what your getting at about the rwd/4wd

[Edited on 13-12-2011 by benton101]
philip2

14th Dec 11 at 08:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can get 270 or a touch more on standard bore, but unless sleeve a block nowadays you'd need to overbore anyway and tbh going up 90cc doesnt make a huge differance ion power, so in theory 300bhp is achievable

if wanted to make full use, get a quaife diff, but an xe delivers power different compared to a chipped let, its smoother so its your foot that decides how hard to push the throttle.

tbs, fast road cams, bit of headwork, arps on stock bottom end with a decent ex manifold should see anything up to about 210bhp, after that you need pocketed pistons to run some slightly more aggresive cams, after that your looking at a full steel build, high com p pistons, solid lifters, double valve springs, steel retainers etc for anything up to about 250-270bhp...obv better to build a useable engine at say 240bhp than an engine at 270bhp that doesnt come on cam and pull til 4.5k-5k rpm
danbo

14th Dec 11 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

great info from everyone exploring all the points.
thats what is annoying about the 1600 not coming into power till high revs. Surely a 200bhp 16xe would be better than 240bhp 20xe? throttle bodies are going to cost alot whatever engine i were to put them on so price wouldn't be the difference then?
danbo

14th Dec 11 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and by rwd/4wd i meant getting a conversion done. obviously its not something to talk lightly about but can be done and has been national hot rods and autocross cars are like this and hatchbacks, i know its alot of work but theres no point spending so much on an engine that really isn't going to be up to much in a fwd car. it is quite limited. I have seen one build for 5500 including engine rwd conversion and space framing to position new suspension. But thats as far as close to it as i've seen as far as helpful info. Just an idea into changing it to a bigger longer proper project.
danbo

14th Dec 11 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anyone got any more info or videos of the 2x let engined corsa? cant remember who had it. Beardy?
Ian
Site Administrator

14th Dec 11 at 18:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No videos yet, don't think it runs yet.

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=620277

[Edited on 14-12-2011 by Ian]
danbo

14th Dec 11 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah great cheers
this is what makes me not give up when i begin to hate my corsa and want something different haha. anything can be done but i guess he has cut cost being able to do it himself? and knowing what to do to acheive good handling
philip2

14th Dec 11 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres nothing wrong with a 240bhp fwd xe tbh, if car is beingused on the road, then id get the idea of rwd etc like the hotrods as it would need an iva test and cost about 10k to put on the road easily, big waste of time.

a 240bhp xe with decent suspension, tyres and a diff would get power down well enough and tbh be as quick as an evo, scooby etc on the track...if you can drive.

as for a 200bhp 1600 beating a 240bhp 20xe, not a chance as the 20xe will have a lot more torque to pull it compared to the 1600 having little torque compared.
danbo

14th Dec 11 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats amazing glad its still going. The other i saw the rwd conversion had the 2ltr engine mounted the other way in the front which i didnt think there'd be room for but worked.
philip2

14th Dec 11 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there was one on mig, but its like ive done a rear engined corsa...or sort of doing...maybe selling. its took ages to do as i do abit as and when i can and be arsed lol. but its not simple to do, z cars charge 10k ish to do a rear engined car and not much gain tbh
danbo

14th Dec 11 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes the torque was another concern but hoped the weight would make up for it.
As said by someone else maybe the 18xe1 is a good go between?
Hmm i've wanted something 4wd for a long while and seeing it being done and seeing 600bhp 4wd fiestas etc looks perfect. Even if it took years cos of the cost, although maybe would be hard to keep it going.
keep changing my mind as its quite a big decision of once started thats it and got to go all the way without it being a waste.
Ian
Site Administrator

14th Dec 11 at 18:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You mean longitudinally?

Most RWD are configured this way, easier to get drive down the prop shaft to the back.
danbo

14th Dec 11 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maybe i'll change my plans for the corsa and scrub the mental list in half to just have a nice reasonable car. And focus on something else aswell to fill the rwd/4wd craving.

What budget would you say i'm looking at instead for a useable car like you decribed?
already have 1600 so
but 18xe1 or 20xe is still interesting if the car will be improved enough. I am looking into the sequential gearboxes aswell as it would make alot of difference.
danbo

14th Dec 11 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes longitudinally. was a hotrod corsa using old english rear axle i think was a cheap build but not including being road legal i dont think
Ian
Site Administrator

14th Dec 11 at 18:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sequential box is thousands.
danbo

14th Dec 11 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

budget i mean for equally comparable for each engine spec.
am i right in thinking a 20xe can be supercharged and throttle bodies can be used with a supercharger?
these plans might seem stupid but it is something i've been thinking about for a long while not just me being 'oh yer i'm going to turbo this' haha
danbo

14th Dec 11 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes i know like 4500 maybe been a while since i looked but can also get second hand and some have been arounf 1500
danbo

14th Dec 11 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but it should make alot of difference? especially if reaching a reasonable limit on improving engine performance? cost wise.
is it pointless thinking about sequential box and 1600?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll