corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » My story

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My story
Jakey
Premium Member

User status: Offline
14th Jan 12 at 10:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I could make this story 10 pages long but I'll try and keep it short and sweet.

It all started when I was 6 weeks old and my parents took me for my check up, the doctor checked me out and discovered a slight heart murmur. A few months of tests they found it to be Aortic Stenosis (A narrow aortic valve in the heart for me and you).

So years went on and I went to Alder Hey hospital twice a year for echo scans and just general check ups to make sure it wasn't getting any more narrow.

I always got told that at sometime in my life I'd need the 'balloon' operation, which consists of keyhole surgery where they put a kind of balloon inside your narrow heart valve and pump it up to stretch it a bit.

It was only when I was 16 when they discovered the valve had developed a slight leak which was leaking onto my Mitral valve and causing it to swell slightly. Nothing overly major but just kept more of a close eye on things and also meant I wouldn't be able to have the 'balloon' procedure.

Nothing much happened for the next few years until February of last year when they asked me to do a routine exercise test just to see how well my heart copes at general exercise. So they stuck me on a gym-type bike which goes up the gears every minute or two, so will eventually stop you no matter how good you are. I personally thought I did quite well, last about 20 minutes on the bike, got absolutely knackered and felt good about myself. Then the results came back and the doctor said I should of been doing about twice as well as I did for a fit 21 year old lad.

Not happy with the results they asked me to have an MRI scan later on in the year.

So September came and I travelled to Manchester Royal Infirmary, the hospital I'm based at now i'm over 18. Had the scan and the results came back in October with a letter asking me to go in and have a chat with a surgeon.. At this point I started to feel a little nervous, everything was becoming real now.

Went in and he basically said I'd have to have surgery in the next 3 months as the leak was getting worse as was the swelling of the Mitral valve.

I got offered 2 solutions;

First one was a tissue heart valve, generally humans or pigs. Good points are I'd have to take aspirin for around 6-8 weeks then no more medication. Bad points are the valve only lasts 7-15 years then I'd have to have the operation again. I could only have the tissue valve once or twice before the tissue in my heart got to weak then I'd have to have the mechanical heart valve..

So the second solution, as you can guess was a mechanical heart valve. Titanium and carbon fibre to be precise. The good points about this heart valve is there's a 99.9% chance I'll never need another replacement as the valve should outlive me. The bad points are I'd have to take warfarin, a blood thinning drug, for the rest of my life. The downsides to warfarin are a big cut down on drinking, no binging, just a social few a couple times a week. Also a few food kicks like no cranberry juice as it messes with the drug, cut down on spinach/curly kale type veg, mature cheese and a few others. Another downside to the warfarin is it makes me slightly haemophiliac so if I cut myself shaving or knock my self I can bleed for quite a while and bruise fairly easily.

So the time came to make a decision, after much umming and arring with my family and friends I decided to take mechanical heart valve. Main reasons where, drinking isn't a massive part of my life, if I had to give it up completely it's no detriment to me, the food and drink wasn't to bad either but the one that topped it was I only wanted to have this operation once and once only!

Awaited my date and finally the 5th January came and I went into hospital. Had my surgery on Fridays 6th and managed to come out on the following Thursday. Not much has happened since, just been sat in bed and trying to get better. Here's a little picture of what I'm left with.

Thank you reading my story. Any questions at all I'll be more than happy to answer!
Brett
Premium Member

14th Jan 12 at 10:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Respect your way mate, glad you're ok
Gavin
Premium Member

14th Jan 12 at 10:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jesus... this puts things into perspective!

Hope everything works out for you

pew pew pew pewwwww
MarkSport

14th Jan 12 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shit, I remember you mentioning this a few years back mate. I wish you all the best and hope you make a speedy recovery. also, I have those pj's
AlunJ

14th Jan 12 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Christ, wish you a speedy recovery!
thegsi

14th Jan 12 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great read and I'm glad everything went well for you dude. Saw the scar on Facebook! Admire your bravery mate and heres to heathly living
Cavey

14th Jan 12 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair play mate. Amazing that you're up and about so quickly after massive surgery like that!

Just remember chicks dig scars, and I doubt anyone will beat that beast!
SteveoBC
Premium Member

14th Jan 12 at 10:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

saw the updates on fbook, good to hear your still with us jake

lol at the status when you were allowed to have a shit after surgery haha
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

14th Jan 12 at 10:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jakey
Premium Member

14th Jan 12 at 10:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers guys!

Yeah Steve, the nurses said you have to have 'bowel movements' before you leave hospital, it took 4 days but it was one of the strangest but greatest shits ever!
Matt L

14th Jan 12 at 10:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hope you get better soon bud, kept seeing your updates on fb.
Kerry

14th Jan 12 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get well soon! Mum had something similar involving the main artery that leaves the heart and feeds the lower part of your body!
Did you feel like you were hit by a bus!
Glad your on the mend x
3CorsaMeal

14th Jan 12 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks a bit like a game of pong on your chest
Ben G

14th Jan 12 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bloody hell thats a proper scar mate.

glad you're alright and good to see you back on cs.
Paul_J

14th Jan 12 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I saw the pics on facebook and wondered what was going on. Massive respect you mate for being able to deal with that

It made me feel funny just thinking about having my heart modified seems such a crucial thing inside of you.
Ojc

14th Jan 12 at 11:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love you
BarnshaW

14th Jan 12 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
seems such a crucial thing inside of you.

is it? I didnt think it done anything. Learn something new everyday

[Edited on 14-01-2012 by BarnshaW]
Jakey
Premium Member

14th Jan 12 at 12:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry
Get well soon! Mum had something similar involving the main artery that leaves the heart and feeds the lower part of your body!
Did you feel like you were hit by a bus!
Glad your on the mend x

Yeah it still does! They cut down your sternum and open your chest about 4-5 inches so every rib, bone and muscle from my waist to my neck is in pain and aches!
Jamie Walby

14th Jan 12 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck! That scar is awesome! Be nice and itchy when it starts to heal.

Good luck with the recovery!
taylorboosh

14th Jan 12 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

carbon fibre heart.. whats the weight saving?

best of luck mate
Phillips_91

14th Jan 12 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Saw all the updates on fb, good to see your on your feet! Hope everythin goes well
taylorboosh

14th Jan 12 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
quote:

Ian
Site Administrator

14th Jan 12 at 12:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been following on FB, was hoping you would post on here for some CS love.

Does this mean you beep at airports now?
Sunz

14th Jan 12 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you made the best choice with the mechanical heart valve.

Looks like you are doing well with your recovery
Paul_J

14th Jan 12 at 17:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
quote:

haha

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » My story 23 database queries in 0.0219100 seconds