corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bike day - stupid chain

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bike day - stupid chain
mantamark

User status: Offline
18th Jan 12 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well that was a waste of a day off work. Thought id pop over to do a lap of kielder today as weather was ok. 90mins of driving later, empty carpark, perfect. Get put on the path and the new tyres are performing well (panaracers), then i start to hear a clicking intermittently. A little while later and my gears start to jump, ive do e a grand total of 5m at this point where i decide to investigate as its getting annoying slipping going up hill. After a quick check i notice this...

So, whats caused that then? Im still a novice with regards to maintenance, the bike is 13mth old, got a few hundred miles done on it now and its been pretty good so far. So, im assuming i need a new chain? Or just replace the joint? In hindsight i should have had a chain tool and powerlink, but i own neather so will have to invest. Os there a chance ive killed the cassette, mechs etc?

Needless to say the walk back was very blue, i think i used ever swearword up about 20times.

Highlight of the day, this tame little fellow following me around while i was unloading the bike and getting ready.

DaveyLC

18th Jan 12 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Light weight chain but its a cheapy.. They dont last long once they have a nice coating of fine gritt..

Invest in a decent chain and a can of GT85.. also give it a clean ever every ride.
Simon

18th Jan 12 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A chain tool should be one of your basic items, most decent multi tools will have one included. Shortening a chain will mess around with your gears and sometimes preventing you getting into some completely. Normally its fine to get you back or at least continue with most of the ride. Luckily it looks like the leading edge of the link is intact so unless anything looks damaged you may be ok, just replace the chain or link, whatever is easiest for you.
AlunJ

18th Jan 12 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New decent chain and should be alright
Budgie

18th Jan 12 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you had a chain tool, could of taken a link out, and run it with it tighter chain and not go to the top gears...

[Edited on 18-01-2012 by Budgie]
mantamark

18th Jan 12 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If i had a chain tool i probably wouldnt have made this thread...

Just seems an odd failure to happen.

Its a hg chain, basic bit of kit on alot of bikes i think. It normally gets cleaned down and lubed after each ride, just cba today after wasting a holiday.
ed

18th Jan 12 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had my chain fail on me once or twice. Always glad my multi tool had a chain breaker on it because I could just pop a link out and be on my way. The last time it happened I was at the top of a mountain with a 1h descent to the bottom - took us all morning to get to the top so i would have been bummed to have had to coast
mantamark

18th Jan 12 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye, busy searching for tools and links now.

Before the ride :

FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

18th Jan 12 at 18:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you put a new chain on it you need to fit a new cassette aswell as the 2 wear down at the same rate. Not needed but 100% advised as you will waste money on a chain and it will still keep slipping due to the block being worn into the only chain.
Its not a case of there was grit so it snapped it will more than likely be there was grit and your gears wernt index'd properly so worn away alot quicker than they should of
seen it billions and billions of times our place. Just needs a good service a new chain and a new cassette

Then you need to invest in some cleaning products and a deecent chain lube. All condition will suit you best and theres a company called "juice lubes" that do a lube perfect for the job its called viking juice. Wont find a better lube for the price tbh
mantamark

18th Jan 12 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive got a range of cleaning brushed and products, and a good all weather lube.

You work at a bike place? Discount? What cassette and chain would you suggest?

Was serviced march last year i think.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

18th Jan 12 at 19:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

work here. Www.formbycycles.co.uk one of the biggest bike shops in the uk

May be able to sort out some cs discount if i get enough interest? And permission of ian of course

What gears do you have at the moment? Sram or shimano?
mantamark

18th Jan 12 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shimano deore 9 speed.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

18th Jan 12 at 21:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just go for a like for like replacement with a 9spd shimano deore chain?
there a bit expensive though the deore chains

if not go for one of the sram 9 speed chains th pc9901's i think :S cant quite remember the exact code of them
cheaper than the deores however the deores are hollow pin
but you can get a sram hollow pin chain at 59.99 a peice

any help atall?
mantamark

18th Jan 12 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Food for thought
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

18th Jan 12 at 22:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im in work tomorrow so if you need any more advice just ring up the shop and ask for joe. I can sort you prices and proper specs then
PhilC

18th Jan 12 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Discount would be good... I have bought a few things fro you guys before, and one of my mates bought his Trek hardtail from you last year...
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

18th Jan 12 at 23:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Should of asked on me buddy i can sort bits out for people no problemo.
I can have a word with the boss see if i can set up a cs discount if theres enough interest?
mantamark

19th Jan 12 at 07:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The amount of bikers on here im sure there would be.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 08:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well if i can get a bit of proof of how many people would be up for it id have a word with him

If anyone is interested in a cs discount for bikes and bike parts please just mention it in this thread when i get enough interest ill show him and see what i can get
So the more people that are interested the more likley it is hes going to say yes
Balling
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 09:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FlaFFy_91
If anyone is interested in a cs discount for bikes and bike parts please just mention it in this thread

Probably in the market for a new bike, come spring.

Done most of my previous shopping at EvansCycles and Chainreaction.

Jamie Walby

19th Jan 12 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Half price Venge please.
Stu_22

19th Jan 12 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
if you put a new chain on it you need to fit a new cassette aswell as the 2 wear down at the same rate. Not needed but 100% advised as you will waste money on a chain and it will still keep slipping due to the block being worn into the only chain.

Agree with this after replacing a chain on a previous bike and having bad slipage issues it turned out to be the cassette had gone as well
Mark Prydderch

19th Jan 12 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
well if i can get a bit of proof of how many people would be up for it id have a word with him

If anyone is interested in a cs discount for bikes and bike parts please just mention it in this thread when i get enough interest ill show him and see what i can get
So the more people that are interested the more likley it is hes going to say yes

Where's your shop?

I'd be interested in parts..
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

19th Jan 12 at 10:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

www.formbycycles.co.uk. Its in formby. Near liverpool but we do mail order for all parts and bikes (apart from trek and marin as were not legally alowed to send them out. But we offer a home fit service on these bikes)
Jamie Walby

19th Jan 12 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

apart from trek and marin as were not legally alowed to send them out.

Why's that mate?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Bike day - stupid chain 23 database queries in 0.5012529 seconds