corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » another fucking insurance rant..

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author another fucking insurance rant..
Jed D

User status: Offline
29th Feb 12 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

..because we like them on here

last year i paid £618.15 (or something like that) with 3 points, tpft, not covered to drive to work and only able to do 3k a year, yes 3k!! it brought it down a fucking shit load and the spare clocks came in useful towards the end but...

iv just looked into getting a new quote... i haven't done a lot of hunting yet but i got it down to £585.45... all the same but i can use the car for work and i can do 10k... trying to get it all 110% legit now

pleased to know its not going to be dearer

i mentioned to one of them that phoned me, about the minor mods i have... low's, exhaust, inlet, alloys, mani...
they said if you dont mind not having cover for the value of them you dont have to declare
BarnshaW

29th Feb 12 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so whats the rant here?
John

29th Feb 12 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you changed the clocks in your car because you told the insurance you only do 3k miles a year?

Did you swap them for a digestive?
Matt L

29th Feb 12 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jed D

they said if you dont mind not having cover for the value of them you dont have to declare

that sounds good to me.
sand-eel

29th Feb 12 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My insurance has gone up £120 for no reason at all it looks like...so they will be told to GTF.
Jed D

29th Feb 12 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
My insurance has gone up £120 for no reason at all it looks like...so they will be told to GTF.

here this alot ^ just keep hunting mate... if you haven't got any points or moved to a bad postcode i cant see how it should go up
corsajay88

29th Feb 12 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mines the same where the mods are covered as standard parts. There is also a clause where after 6k miles my car will not be paid out for in an accident. They didnt ask for my milage at any point so i didnt get how they would know
silvercorsabee

29th Feb 12 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mate your the lucky one, cheapest quote ive got for my 1.2 SXI corsa B is £2077! also when your getting insurance quotes and they ask how much miles you do in a year, does it REALLY matter if you do a bit more than the figure you selected? i always thought it didnt matter too much..
Jed D

29th Feb 12 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsajay88
Mines the same where the mods are covered as standard parts. There is also a clause where after 6k miles my car will not be paid out for in an accident. They didnt ask for my milage at any point so i didnt get how they would know

when i took up the old policy they said they want proof, i was thinking WTF!? so i sent them a pic of my driving licence next to the mileage on the clocks
knocked off about 200ish for doing it that way... yet this year is doesnt matter if i do 3k or 10k

another thing that's normally a good tip for people who pay monthly, DONT DO IT! get a loan from your bank and pay out rite the whole year. resulting in less per month to your bank than to your insurance... that's what i did and even got myself a bit extra on the loan and still pay less back than the monthly instalments to the insurance haha

[Edited on 29-02-2012 by Jed D]
Brett
Premium Member

29th Feb 12 at 17:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've always wondered about the mileage thing. Does it definitely reduce the cost with less miles like the above? I mean I know in theory less miles on road equals less risk, but surely that equates to a less experienced driver than someone doing 30k a year.
Jed D

29th Feb 12 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
I've always wondered about the mileage thing. Does it definitely reduce the cost with less miles like the above? I mean I know in theory less miles on road equals less risk, but surely that equates to a less experienced driver than someone doing 30k a year.

2k a year was stupidly expensive (more than 10k) but 3k was a fair whack cheaper... isnt the case this year though weird

i think they just draw a number out of a hat
Dan295

29th Feb 12 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

which company is this with?
corsajay88

29th Feb 12 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With 2k a year, they were probably thinking hes full of shit i sleep walk further than that a year
alan-g-w

29th Feb 12 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brett, I asked the guy on the phone the other day about the mileage thing because he suggested that I reduce it to come up with better prices. I told him that I'd 'possibly' be able to do less miles but asked what would happen if I was to drastically go over he said if I was in an accident, the car's mileage would be checked and as a result they possibly wouldn't pay out. He was making quite a point about it being quite serious anyway, never heard of anyone's insurance being voided for it though
Fro

29th Feb 12 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

0% Credit card would be better than a loan.

Also putting people on with an excellent driving history can help substantially.

Also if you have an accident or write the car off I imagine insurance co can look up previous MOT's using your logbook to help them guage milage. Whether they bother to or not I don't know.
Matt L

29th Feb 12 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan-g-w
Brett, I asked the guy on the phone the other day about the mileage thing because he suggested that I reduce it to come up with better prices. I told him that I'd 'possibly' be able to do less miles but asked what would happen if I was to drastically go over he said if I was in an accident, the car's mileage would be checked and as a result they possibly wouldn't pay out. He was making quite a point about it being quite serious anyway, never heard of anyone's insurance being voided for it though

one thing i never really get is how can they really know?

yes they can go off mot's but also could you also not just say well so and so drives it alot under their policy

never quite understood how the mileage thing works as surely someone who does 2k a year is more dangerous than someoen who does 20k a year as they have more experience of the roads.
M2RTY

29th Feb 12 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they CAN NOT refuse pay out for going over the milage you guess

how can they prove it?

If you say you do 10k a year and you really do 20k a year, if you crashed after 6 months and 9990 miles what can they do?

On my policy it states i pay an extra 300 excess if i claim over my guessed milage, thats all, but i could save 200ish by knoicking the milles down on it and taking that risk

but they can not refuse to insure you
JordanR

29th Feb 12 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i was looking last year i declared all my mods and they said if i do claim the car would be repaired back to standard?!
Eddx14xe

29th Feb 12 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate had to send a letter to his insurance company, that had the current mileage of his car on it.

That's the only way they could do it.
antnee

29th Feb 12 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JordanR
When i was looking last year i declared all my mods and they said if i do claim the car would be repaired back to standard?!

Thats the norm with most normal insurance companies
vaux.dan

1st Mar 12 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do the insurers actually know the mileage. Iv just started my new policy on my own and said 3k a year where as i may end up doing 5-6k. They never asked what the mileage was and the car had been mot'd over a month before I started the policy so could have covered over 1000 miles in that time.

How would they know :/
kennySRi

1st Mar 12 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mileage is irrelevant because even if the car has done more miles than insured for, who is to say that it was done by that driver? Anyone else could be insured third party or whatever and drive it using their own insurance.

Also, what is the fucking insurance rant for? Your renewal has gone down and seems a better deal, have i missed something?
Brett
Premium Member

1st Mar 12 at 11:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kennySRi
Mileage is irrelevant because even if the car has done more miles than insured for, who is to say that it was done by that driver? Anyone else could be insured third party or whatever and drive it using their own insurance.

Adrian Flux make you sign a mileage declaration, which also mentions that.
kennySRi

1st Mar 12 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
quote:
Originally posted by kennySRi

Adrian Flux make you sign a mileage declaration, which also mentions that.

Mentions what about it though? Does it state that the car isnt allowed to go over the certain mileage or is it just the driver?
sc0ott

1st Mar 12 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by vaux.dan
How do the insurers actually know the mileage. Iv just started my new policy on my own and said 3k a year where as i may end up doing 5-6k. They never asked what the mileage was and the car had been mot'd over a month before I started the policy so could have covered over 1000 miles in that time.

How would they know :/

Ive changed my car three times after taking out my policy and they havent asked for the milage on any. Thats with brentacre

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » another fucking insurance rant.. 22 database queries in 0.0168760 seconds