corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Split, Croatia

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Split, Croatia
nibnob21
Premium Member

User status: Offline
27th Mar 12 at 16:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking at going with the lady friend for a week in the beginning of July. Anyone got any recommendations on where to stay? Things to do?

We're happy to stay in hostels etc. but would prefer our own private room.

Cheers

MX5 Project Thread
RichR
Premium Member

27th Mar 12 at 16:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Head further south or offshore, Mljet, Kolocep or Sipan, Lopud is a bit bigger. Dubrovnik is amazing on the mainland.
nibnob21
Premium Member

27th Mar 12 at 16:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
Head further south or offshore, Mljet, Kolocep or Sipan, Lopud is a bit bigger. Dubrovnik is amazing on the mainland.

Any particular reason why? I've only heard good things about Split and flights are reasonably priced too.

MX5 Project Thread
RichR
Premium Member

27th Mar 12 at 16:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just fellin love with the Dalmatian coast, been three times-the people, scenery and culture are all amazing. I can't comment on Split directly as I've not been but old town is an amazing city that I'd recommend above almost anywhere else in Europe
N16K

27th Mar 12 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have been to Pula in Croatia it is very nice, the Arena (colosseum) in Pula is awesome. Added bonus not to many Brits go, more European's.
nibnob21
Premium Member

27th Mar 12 at 16:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Flights are much more expensive for Dubrovnik, after a quick look they look like they're twice the price

What were prices like for food, drink etc.?

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

27th Mar 12 at 16:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by N16K
have been to Pula in Croatia it is very nice, the Arena (colosseum) in Pula is awesome. Added bonus not to many Brits go, more European's.

Yeah I've heard Pula is relatively untouched and has some impressive ruins. I just prefer the look of Croatia further down the coast. I'm considering everywhere though at the moment lol.

MX5 Project Thread
Mark Prydderch

28th Mar 12 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll be flying to Split in August, staying there for a few days, then on to Pag island.

No help to your question as I've never been before. Heard it's nice though.
RichR
Premium Member

28th Mar 12 at 10:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually, you can get to Korcula relatively easily from Split and I recommend there too
nibnob21
Premium Member

28th Mar 12 at 10:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well the flights are booked to Split now for the first week of July

Been looking into things to do and there seems as though there'll be plenty to keep us busy. Currently looking into day trips to some of the smaller islands, I'll have a look at Korcula

[Edited on 28-03-2012 by nibnob21]

MX5 Project Thread
RichR
Premium Member

28th Mar 12 at 10:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been three times now, to different places in Croatia and genuinely, if I could find a living, I would move there tomorrow. In fact, If I win the lottery, its where I'm disappearing to for a while
nibnob21
Premium Member

28th Mar 12 at 10:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I can't wait to go, it does look like a bloody nice place.

Korcula looks a bit far from Split to be realistic, but we'll probably head over to either Brac or Solta.

Just need to find somewhere to stay now lol.

MX5 Project Thread
boylers11

28th Mar 12 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Split is a nice place (not as nice as Dubrovnik as said already), but walking alng the waterfront and into town is nice - lots of history etc and pubs/bars/ restaurants along the waterfront. My only main gripe would be the smell. Along the coast towards the north of the town, the water gets really smelly (and the town gets rougher), so avoid a stroll north if you want a romantic end to an evening
nibnob21
Premium Member

28th Mar 12 at 11:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I've read to avoid the North, not because it's dangerous but just that it's a bit dreary.

Stick to the main centre and everything seems good

MX5 Project Thread
RichR
Premium Member

28th Mar 12 at 11:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking at the map, Split and South is where you want to be anyway. North of Split becomes the more industrialised/commercial areas with Zagreb the capital being at the centre of the Northern area
Robbo

28th Mar 12 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is good to do in Dubrovnik - sightseeing etc?

Id like to go somewhere a bit different for one of my trips next year and had thought about Split/Zagreb/Sarajevo etc
boylers11

28th Mar 12 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The town walls in Dubrovnik are amazing. Was heavily bombed during the war and the town has been rebuilt. Scenery is great overlooking the sea/coast. All the red tile roofs makes it look like a Bond filmset!
RichR
Premium Member

28th Mar 12 at 12:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dubrovonik is simply stunning, oldest city in Europe. Amazing food and drink plus culture and views. Its so clean too, even the toilet facilites are stunningly clean. There are various Basilica, Fountains, the walls of the city themselves are interesting to see and scale. The harbour and palaces are worth a look too. You even have an Irish Pub

First time I was there

RichR
Premium Member

28th Mar 12 at 12:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's just Dubrovnik, I've never stayed there as I've always stayed on one fo the offshore islands; Kolocep, Sipan and Mljet. All being stunning but the lagoons and national park of Mljet are unbelievable
Robbo

28th Mar 12 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks similar ish to Lisbon Ill do some more investigating - cheers!
nibnob21
Premium Member

28th Mar 12 at 12:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From what I've read and researched I've got the impression of the following:

Dubrovnik: The nicest city
Split: Second nicest city, not quite as busy as Dubrovnik
Pula: Relatively untouched and has some impressive Roman Gladiator arena ruins

Croatia in general is known for it's nice scenery, beaches, people, architecture and culture. Has a nice mediterranean diet of seafood etc.

Summer weather is hot and dry. Split has highs of around 30C for July days and sea temp of around 24C.

Croatia doesn't have the euro yet so prices aren't too bad, slightly cheaper than the UK but not by much.

MX5 Project Thread
nibnob21
Premium Member

28th Mar 12 at 12:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
Looks similar ish to Lisbon Ill do some more investigating - cheers!

I've just got back from a week away in Porto which was one of the nicest cities I've ever been to. I can see what you mean in the slight similarities but Croatia in general looks as though it has a far more mediterranean feel to it in terms of buildings, for obvious reasons lol.

MX5 Project Thread
RichR
Premium Member

28th Mar 12 at 12:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I found offshore that we got much better prices just by having coins as opposed to notes. In general tourists have notes, go on a boat tour, rape all of the change out of the small shops and supermarkets and they struggle because they have no banks on the islands so just being able to pay in coins gets you big discounts
nibnob21
Premium Member

28th Mar 12 at 12:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
I found offshore that we got much better prices just by having coins as opposed to notes. In general tourists have notes, go on a boat tour, rape all of the change out of the small shops and supermarkets and they struggle because they have no banks on the islands so just being able to pay in coins gets you big discounts

Thanks for the tip. May sound stupid but how's it best to get hold of coins? Because obviously when changing foreign currency you're always given notes

Oh and what's the English like of the locals?

MX5 Project Thread
RichR
Premium Member

28th Mar 12 at 12:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

go into a bank and change your notes; we changed about 50% of what we took into small coins and once we were on the islands, we'd quite often get 2for1 on beers and things just so they could get the coins

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Split, Croatia 23 database queries in 0.0166049 seconds