corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Well done John Cleland

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Well done John Cleland
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
15th May 12 at 03:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18058131

Credit to him for coming up with that.
AlunJ

15th May 12 at 05:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Top bloke
corsadonk
Premium Member

15th May 12 at 05:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fairplay, someone needs to do that round here.
Jed D

15th May 12 at 06:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

always a good thing to do when you pass your test, i did one with durham county council and it helped a lot. we need more of these all over imo
Jambo

15th May 12 at 07:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id tap the chick.
John

15th May 12 at 07:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's only £79 to do your proper advanced driving, I've got no sound here so can't tell if that's what it is.

I'm sure we've discussed this before Jed but was yours actually IAM?
Steve
Premium Member

15th May 12 at 07:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a good effort from his part but imo the advanced driving test is worthless
pow
Premium Member

15th May 12 at 07:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IAM ftw
John

15th May 12 at 07:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You get to tell people you are an advanced driver Steve.

Although I was bored to tears with the IAM one, it would undoubtedly teach new drivers a lot, and give them genuine confidence and not the false confidence that I know I had before I wrote my car off.
RichR
Premium Member

15th May 12 at 08:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My personal thinking is that they should just make Pass Plus compulsory. The extra training afforded on road types and conditions that you wouldn't normally associate with those you'd expect to see on your lessons would be invaluable.

I would actually go so far as to say it should include a skid pan section on the course. My Dad booked one for me for immediately after my test and I have to say that its saved me on more than one occasion as a young, inexperienced driver.
3i_gaz

15th May 12 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will insurance prices drop though with more people doing this? Probably not.
ed

15th May 12 at 09:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quite a few insurers will offer discount to people who've done IAM though.
Jed D

15th May 12 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John

I'm sure we've discussed this before Jed but was yours actually IAM?

im not sure mate. i got a proper certificate with the proper logo on and that but it was free to do at the time... it was set up by durham police constabulary, aimed at young drivers.
id not long passed at the time, didn't have my own car and just wanted to get out on the road. so i thought why not...
did all the early judgements crap and possible hazards etc.. etc..
it was very in depth but the only insurance company's that offered discount with that certificate were the ones wanting 3k to insure a clapped out clio so i didn't use it.
would definitely recommend it to people though

i know i shouldn't of but i drove a few times before i even got my licence and i felt invincible but looking back, after doing that, i was very very lucky
RichR
Premium Member

15th May 12 at 09:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did something similar to Jed through Hampshire Police and Southampton City Council but without the practical side. It was 2 evenings a week for 4 weeks and was issued with an IAM theory certificate.
Jed D

15th May 12 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
I did something similar to Jed through Hampshire Police and Southampton City Council but without the practical side. It was 2 evenings a week for 4 weeks and was issued with an IAM theory certificate.

mine was more so practical out driving in a skoda fabia with just a few hours sat down doing theory stuff

cant find the certificate anymore

[Edited on 15-05-2012 by Jed D]
chrisritch

15th May 12 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pass Plus was a fucking waste of time for me, Didnt do anything to change my Insurance Premium and didn't do anything different to normal driving lessons apart from motorway driving. No skid pan etc
pow
Premium Member

15th May 12 at 10:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IAM Surety are the best insurance company around by a mile
antnee

15th May 12 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did pass plus, just for the insurance discount. Didn't learn anything from it.

As Livelee says, skin pan should be made compulsory.
neil h

15th May 12 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chrisritch
Pass Plus was a fucking waste of time for me, Didnt do anything to change my Insurance Premium and didn't do anything different to normal driving lessons apart from motorway driving. No skid pan etc

This, did a few drives round some local B roads and on the motorway but that was it. Seemed fairly pointless, although LV did give me an extra years no claims for it so its not all bad.

Still cost more than I saved on insurance mind
RichR
Premium Member

15th May 12 at 11:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got £300 back on an £800 insurance premium when I did mine and it cost me about £100 but this is coming up to 12 years ago. I definitely think there should be a degree of after test training which is mandatory, especially to drive on motorways etc - so many peopel do not know how to drive on a motorway and I can guarantee 99.99% have never done any additional training

[Edited on 15-05-2012 by LiVe LeE]
Corsa_Sport21

15th May 12 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So they are saying this advanced driving course is the equivilent to 10 years worth of driving.....

Ive been driving just over 10 years and i very much doubt you could learn and experience 10 years worth of driving in what is probably a few lessons at most.
Steve
Premium Member

15th May 12 at 12:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its a load of shit, i know plenty of drivers that have takenthe advanced course and are still awful drivers, i think its partly compounded by there false delusion that they are brilliant because they have taken the advanced stuff
John

15th May 12 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you always followed what it teaches you would be a great driver, if you go back to old habits obviously you won't.
Ian
Site Administrator

15th May 12 at 13:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you don't think additional training is a good thing on any level?

You don't agree that for the majority of people who become accident statistics, some proportion of those people may have not had an accident were they trained better than just to pass the regular test?

Are you telling me that all young people drive well and should be left straight after the test to pick up the rest of it? A test which doesn't even take you on motorways, or teach proper observation (hitting the screen when you see a pram isn't proper observation).

I learnt things about my driving when I took trailer training and I've been driving for half of the time I've been alive, and that was normal car road etiquette, perception stuff and I wasn't shit to start with.

On the most part, obviously with exceptions, telling people more about what is coming up and how to work lanes can only be good?
Steve
Premium Member

15th May 12 at 13:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think if someone is going to drive like a twat they will do it regardless

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Well done John Cleland 22 database queries in 0.6853590 seconds