corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » which college or university course would be best.....

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author which college or university course would be best.....
c4rsa-sport

User status: Offline
6th Jun 12 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all, i have been looking into lately doing a course in computing/IT, just wondering if anyone has done this or knows the good way of doing it? I.E home learning or college course?
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

6th Jun 12 at 18:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on what you want to do. Course's in IT are quite pointless unless you have the experience to back it up
A2H GO

6th Jun 12 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Closest thing is perhaps computer science.

Love how most IT jobs say 'degree required' for .NET, PHP, SQL, Web Design(HTML/CSS/JQuery/Javascript) yet there is no such thing.
James

6th Jun 12 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Computer Science will give you very little knowledge of stuff that is useful in the real world. I did a more vocational degree where I learnt loads of hands of programming, networking, project management etc.
John

6th Jun 12 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The degree required is because at a decent uni you'll have been taught the principles from the ground up and the actual language you eventually implement them in is irrelevant.

As James said though, a proper computing science degree is loads of science and maths.
AK

6th Jun 12 at 21:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did Computer Science...

I'd prob recomend Business Computing or such like - less in depth geek programming, broader scope.
SetH

6th Jun 12 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree with AK
Rob E

6th Jun 12 at 23:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My brother did computer science for two years of uni and failed. He then had the,credits he had gained transferred to open uni and is enjoying it a lot more than he did when he was in uni. Apparently the course structure is better for him on OU
DaveyLC

7th Jun 12 at 07:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SetH
Agree with AK

Agree'd!

I have no idea why businesses feel the need to look for Academics for vocational roles..

When I've been involved in hiring developers I always reserve part of the interview for a set programming task (normally very basic) in their strongest language just so I can assess their standards and problem solving skills. Most of the academic candidates are normally terrible at this task but they can bullshit their way through a verbal interview with ease.
pow
Premium Member

7th Jun 12 at 08:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't even have a degree [/controversy]
Ian W

7th Jun 12 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Gary
Premium Member

7th Jun 12 at 12:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian W
quote:
Originally posted by pow

Dione J

7th Jun 12 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pow

Sam
Premium Member

7th Jun 12 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everything I know is either self-taught or learnt 'on the job' in previous jobs, I never even went to college
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

7th Jun 12 at 13:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i even failed ICT at GCSE level!
Fonz
Premium Member

7th Jun 12 at 14:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my brother went to Southampton uni and started on computer gaming course, didnt enjoy it and moved to a general computing course instead now works in London for Siemens looking after TFL's computers and the rest i dont follow or understand.

a friend on the other hand has always been handy with a PC and got a job at a school (happened to be the same school he attended) in the IT dept - support not teaching.
he now works as the IT support guru in the schoool looking after the whole site and the 100s of machines and servers that come with it.

both do a similar role, one with a degree, the other without. my brother with his degree is likely to be paid more and has more prospects and opportunities to move up
my friend, will probably work his way up the chain (up one move!) and get pay rises in line with inflation i expect...both love their jobs so i guess it all depends what you want to be doing...
DaveyLC

7th Jun 12 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont have a Degree Mr Fonz and none of the really good developers I've worked with have had a degree either, infact its the complete opposite only the the shit ones seem to have a degree?
AK

8th Jun 12 at 07:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

.... that may seem like the case Davey but I can gurantee the ones with the degrees are more likely to get into those positions.

Fonz
Premium Member

8th Jun 12 at 07:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
I dont have a Degree Mr Fonz and none of the really good developers I've worked with have had a degree either, infact its the complete opposite only the the shit ones seem to have a degree?

well there you go, this only goes ot prove my point!

there are two routes into the industry and both work, just depends what it is you want to achieve in the industry as to where it takes you!
DaveyLC

8th Jun 12 at 07:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You seemed to imply that a degree will take you to better places though?

I think self belief and common sense are more important than any qualification.
AndyKent

8th Jun 12 at 08:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
You seemed to imply that a degree will take you to better places though?

I think self belief and common sense are more important than any qualification.

True enough at interview, but when reading a CV I still think paper certs score more points when crossing sideways in an industry.

Experience wins in like-for-like roles.
Degrees win for variations across roles.
AK

8th Jun 12 at 09:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to even get an interview at a LOT of companies you need qualifications... especially if starting a career!

Then there are others that are even tighter. Some companies dont 'just' require a degree, they require standards of degree (MIN 2:1 Hon) for example.

if you want certain jobs - you NEED to be qualified.

[Edited on 08-06-2012 by AK]
Gary
Premium Member

8th Jun 12 at 09:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any company that would require a qualification in something like programming/IT over experience isnt worth working for as the management is clearly retarded.
Whittie

8th Jun 12 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dione J
quote:
Originally posted by Gary
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pow

A2H GO

8th Jun 12 at 09:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's true that a degree is just your 'ticket to the game' actually doing well and progressing once through the door is completely different.

Without a degree it just means you have to start lower down(where qualifications aren't as important) but then you won't have spent 3 years and however much money at Uni.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » which college or university course would be best..... 22 database queries in 0.0143070 seconds