corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Spraying - UPDATED with painted pics.

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Spraying - UPDATED with painted pics.
AndyCorsaSport

User status: Offline
16th Jun 12 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm having a crack at painting on Monday. I know there's a few people in here who paint cars. Any tips? I will be getting shown by painter at work just wondered if there's any other tips. Lechler water base scheme.

And it's only a Fiat 500 door that's going in the bin so it's for me to practice on. I'll take some pics and post if it goes well

[Edited on 18-06-2012 by AndyCorsaSport]
Firestate88

16th Jun 12 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice even coats, 50/50 overlap, on the base coat make sure the paints flashed off properly between coats, make sure theres enough laquer on there so it doesn't go matt, make sure you go all the way off the panel before the next coat, enjoy getting runs

oh and hold the gun about a handspan away from the panel too

[Edited on 16-06-2012 by Firestate88]
DansCorsaSXi
Organiser: Yorkshire
Premium Member

16th Jun 12 at 18:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take ya time with it and have a nice smooth movement in your hand.

Star silver C20XE SXi Project thread

Smoke Grey Corsa GSi Project thread
AndyCorsaSport

16th Jun 12 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Starting with silver I think. So could end up patchy? Haha. I think I will be ok with the paint, more bothered about the laquer. And I expect a run
Firestate88

16th Jun 12 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if staring silver then two coats of silver finished with a final light coat from abit further away to try and reduce the patchyness, with the laquer its hard to try and get a smooth glossy finish with as little orange peel as possible and not getting runs, but lots of practice you'll get it in no time, when i'm spraying i try and spray so i can see the booth lights reflecting on the surface to see how each coat is and if haven't overlapped enough

Ben G

16th Jun 12 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Firestate88
nice even coats, 50/50 overlap, on the base coat make sure the paints flashed off properly between coats, make sure theres enough laquer on there so it doesn't go matt, make sure you go all the way off the panel before the next coat, enjoy getting runs

oh and hold the gun about a handspan away from the panel too

too much painters lingo going on there mate.
AndyCorsaSport

16th Jun 12 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Firestate88
if staring silver then two coats of silver finished with a final light coat from abit further away to try and reduce the patchyness, with the laquer its hard to try and get a smooth glossy finish with as little orange peel as possible and not getting runs, but lots of practice you'll get it in no time, when i'm spraying i try and spray so i can see the booth lights reflecting on the surface to see how each coat is and if haven't overlapped enough

Cheers. Painter who's showing me is shit hot so hopefully it will go well. Can then start doing jobs on side too been offered a devilbiss GTi for £100 but dont want to buy it if I cant paint
Firestate88

16th Jun 12 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd buy the devilbiss gti for that price, if you can't paint can always sell it on for £100 - £150 easily so won't lose money on it (i'd always be interested in it start of next month if you didn't want to keep it

AndyCorsaSport

16th Jun 12 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Suppose that's true. Only been used a few times so might have it anyway. I'll be the jack of all trades master of none in no time
Graeme
Premium Member

16th Jun 12 at 23:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Totally depends on how you apply the paint. Each scheme has a different applictaion. The person showing you will know.

Remeber you will need more than one gun if your going to buy. £100 for a 2nd hand GTi is about the going rate tbh and then if it needs a service kit that is another £80 or so.

I think lechler water based is 2 wet coats over each other and then flash off and then a drop coat at 1.5bar double the distance and a bit slower.

Its all about practice but tbh i wouldnt offer to do peoples cars before you get good and know what your doing tbh but when you do aslong as you have a understanding boss you can make alot of money.

I have to turn away alot of work as the boss gets anoyed that i earn nearly as much money in private jobs as i do in my wages.
AndyCorsaSport

16th Jun 12 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I'll have plenty of practice before I go at someone's car and I have a very kind boss break times and Saturday's are free to do as I please. Is it best to have 2 seperate guns? For base and clear?
Graeme
Premium Member

16th Jun 12 at 23:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, i personally have about 7 but thats for alot of stuff, Primer, Wet on wet primer, water base, solvent base, lacquer, mini jet and a spare but you need at least 3, base coat, primer and lacquer.
AndyCorsaSport

17th Jun 12 at 07:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha fuck buying 7! Spend enough on other tools as it is.
Graeme
Premium Member

17th Jun 12 at 12:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah you obviously won't need that many starting out. But it's easier if it's your living to have them for all different jobs. Hate doing things twice so a bit of dirt from another paint in a lacquer gun can fuck things right up.
Graeme
Premium Member

17th Jun 12 at 12:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also look at the devillbiss FLG. Cheap but gd gun.
AndyCorsaSport

18th Jun 12 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well had my go today, went very well

Take one Fiat 500 door in cream, I 1000 grit sanded it down, no other prep, wasnt going to spend ages on it as its only a mess about.

1st layer of basecoat (some VW silver)

Didnt get a pic of second layer of basecoat, but gave it second coat, then a drop coat.

First laquer

All done:

Chuffed with that for first go, and it was laid down flat.
Jed D

18th Jun 12 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats great for your first bash

i went bonkers with the rattle cans again today

[Edited on 18-06-2012 by Jed D]
Paul_JC

18th Jun 12 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks a good first go that!
Ben G

18th Jun 12 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd be happy to put that on my car, albeit with the dent sorted.
Steve
Premium Member

18th Jun 12 at 17:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

very nice

jeds image shows just what a difference having the proper equipment makes
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

18th Jun 12 at 17:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great first go

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
Ben G

18th Jun 12 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
very nice

i looked at his pic and a facepalm image popped into my head.
Corsa_Sport21

18th Jun 12 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
very nice

It would be a very useful photo, if the thread title was "Spraying, what not to do".
Gary
Premium Member

18th Jun 12 at 17:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

@ black bumpers.

Door looks wicked though, better than my first painting attempt. Had more runs than the london marathon
AndyCorsaSport

18th Jun 12 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers chaps, chuffed with it going to flat it tommorow and buff it, get a go at polishing fresh paint etc. Then ill scotch it off again and paint it black, and get some reflection sort of shots.

We have 2 painters at work, one whos like 60 and cant see very well, other is 30 (the one who shown me what to do) and he said ive painted it better than the old guy who has been painting for 40+ years

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Spraying - UPDATED with painted pics. 23 database queries in 0.0089681 seconds